Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin in ATL?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2014, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Virgin in ATL?

Does anyone know of any plans for Virgin to come to Atlanta? I would love for this airline to expand here given how ATL serves as a major hub for so many other airlines...
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
There are none at this time.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by jcm55a
I would love for this airline to expand here given how ATL serves as a major hub for so many other airlines...
ATL is a major hub for one airline AFAIK, and a focus city for WN, and it's a dribble of service for all the others.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
To my mind, it would be economic suicide for VX to try and enter the ATL market. It is a DL fortress. They do not have enough planes at the moment and there are other markets where they could enter and do far better IMO. They dropped SJC which was too bad for me, but I understand the economics. One must remember SFO is their hub, so SFO > wherever is going to be their best bet.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ptownca
To my mind, it would be economic suicide for VX to try and enter the ATL market.
It wouldn't be suicide if it was O/D SFO/ATL if they could get a decent ground contract @ ATL.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 10:20 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
To the o/p, there won't be much in the way of route expansion until Virgin begins receiving its new aircraft in the second half of 2015.

Until then, they've made the decision to suspend lesser-performing routes (like Philadelphia) and move capacity to Dallas Love, which they're building up as a hub, and to bulk up their presence on existing strong routes, like Boston to SFO/LAX.

We the Virgin American fanboys and fangirls would love to see it expand to new cities, too! But we'll wait.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I have my doubts if this would happen. DL might pressure Branson to prevent this.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jcm55a
Does anyone know of any plans for Virgin to come to Atlanta? I would love for this airline to expand here given how ATL serves as a major hub for so many other airlines...
Isn't Virgin Atlantic (VS) going to be serving ATL?
Old Jul 16, 2014, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Isn't Virgin Atlantic (VS) going to be serving ATL?
Yes, VS will serve ATL in October 2014.
Old Jul 18, 2014, 8:18 am

I'm curious if Virgin would consider DEN before ATL or resuming PHL. While SFO-DEN and LAX-DEN have many carriers and flights, Virgin is up to that atleast with this whole DAL focus city. DEN routes to SFO and LAX would be shorter routes for Virgin and less fleet intensive than servicing PHL and ATL (although ATL is shorter than PHL). But DEN is even shorter than ATL from SFO and LAX. Plus given DEN's location, many from DEN don't drive but only have flight as option for a getaway.

Last edited by rtalk25; Jul 18, 2014 at 8:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.