Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Virgin America Main Cabin Select "Enhancement" - $$$ for Premium items

Old May 28, 2014, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Virgin America has just redone its website and while I am looking around, I check out its service section. I notice that Virgin America has changed its policy in terms of food and beverages on Main Cabin Select. Maybe I miss it in the past, but I am very shocked to see that not all food and beverages are complimentary anymore. There is a disclaimer that certain premium items are excluded. I am very upset about such MAJOR changes with no advance notice. Plus the website is very VAGUE on what is being exempted and what the new pricing will be. This is not small "enhancement" and I am furious about it. I can justify its $399 oneway MCS fare from LAX to EWR, if I can enjoy a few premium drinks and enjoy a sandwich and salad for free. I have a feeling that premium items basically refer to fresh food like sandwiches, salad, and protein plates, and premium drinks include certain hard liquors and fancy energy drinks. Virgin America needs to make it CLEAR on your website or else this is pure deception!

Airlines are no longer giving passengers DETAILS and NOTICE about these cabin service "enhancement'!

Anyone from Virgin America cares to share what "enhancements" are expected!
I don't want "Surprises" when I step on board next month!

Here is the exact language:
Main Cabin Select
Take it up a notch in Main Cabin Select, where each custom black leather seat offers six extra inches of legroom, dedicated overhead luggage space, plus one complimentary checked bag, priority check-in and boarding, and all entertainment and select food, and drinks on us.

Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; May 28, 2014 at 3:20 am
Old May 28, 2014, 5:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
This change has been in effect for a while now, it's not something that came at the same time as the website change.

I can't find the press release or a thread on this exact topic, but I did find a thread from last fall discussing the fact that some wines and beef jerky were considered premium in MCS and required payment. As I said, it's been around a while.
Old May 28, 2014, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
There have been 2 items excluded for some time - the beef jerky and one of the wines.
Old May 28, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
There have been 2 items excluded for some time - the beef jerky and one of the wines.
Ha, that seems random. Why wouldn't they just spell out these very specific exclusions?
Old May 28, 2014, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Ha, that seems random. Why wouldn't they just spell out these very specific exclusions?
I could see certain wines, but beef jerky? I haven't priced beef jerky lately, but I've never gotten the sense that it can be pricey.
Old May 28, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Never limit yourself in communications if the message can change.
Next week they decide to charge for hot food, putting ABC brand wine and jerky on the exceptions list becomes an outdated document.

Customer Service issues ensue based on what you read, when you read it and when the offer changed.

Much much better keeping things generic.
Old May 28, 2014, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Fair, but look at how frenzy-whipped the OP got, due to the vague wording that makes it seem like a serious devaluation. Why not list "current exclusions" with a caveat that service offerings may change anytime?
Old May 29, 2014, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification!

I was panicking a bit, as I just booked my friend on this rather expensive flight from JFK to Las Vegas Monday morning. I told him that he could order any food and drinks that he wants. So when I spotted those wordings, I was a bit upset. Since it was my treat and he is one of my best friends from junior high/secondary school in HK, I really want this flight to go as smooth as possible. If they change something in any major way, I need to know. I really think Virgin America needs to list those excluded items clearly.

As an elevate Gold member, I am a bit disappointed that I have yet to hear from the customer service team after I sent them an email last night. I will post the reply when I will hopefully hear from them soon!

Carfield
Old May 29, 2014, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
I could see certain wines, but beef jerky? I haven't priced beef jerky lately, but I've never gotten the sense that it can be pricey.
It can and is. Less than 3 ounces of a good beef jerky can run 8 bucks. That isn't terribly cheap. The brand they serve onboard (can't recall it right now) is excellent.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: United MP, Virgin America Elevate, JetBlue TrueBlue
Originally Posted by cringle
It can and is. Less than 3 ounces of a good beef jerky can run 8 bucks. That isn't terribly cheap. The brand they serve onboard (can't recall it right now) is excellent.
It is good, I agree! Also, I believe it's actually turkey jerky. Still, I find it silly that they charge for it when MCS is already priced at such a premium.
Old May 29, 2014, 10:38 am

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Yes the jerky is very expensive. I have seen it in the stores.
Old May 29, 2014, 12:25 pm

That settles it -- next time I'm in VX F I will chow down on the jerky.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; WN CP; Kimpton Inner Circle
If I remember correctly, they serve Krave - it's excellent.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by dhuey
That settles it -- next time I'm in VX F I will chow down on the jerky.
Newbie to VX. So, F can order whatever they want in addition to the meal served?
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler
Newbie to VX. So, F can order whatever they want in addition to the meal served?
Yep. Go hog-wild.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.