Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Virgin America Flight Attendants Seek Unionization Vote

Virgin America Flight Attendants Seek Unionization Vote

Old Aug 13, 2014, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
I hope this goes well for all involved. Southwest has generally had good working relationships with its unions. May it be like that for VX.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I wish the best of luck to VX and TWU. WN is an established airline and made 10x in q2 compared to VX. VX is already struggling to pay the bills and now they gotta deal with unions along with an IPO. Thats a lot on the plate for an airline with with such low margins.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA

If some staff don't want to belong to a union, they're free to quit and find another job.
No, they *should* be free to not join, not have their dues taken against their will, and not have to worship at the altar of thuggery. Union membership should not be a requirement for employment.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew
Yes, it is crazy. That's why unions are so aggravating. They force themselves into companies and those of us who don't want to join are forced to, or quit. My argument always has been, if these people want to unionize, maybe they should have gone to a union airline in the first place. Unions are an outdated practice. People need to take responsibility for themselves and not hide behind the backing of a third party. It's insane. Show up for work, follow rules and treat guests well....that's all they ask of us....it's not that hard.
^^^
Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
No, they *should* be free to not join, not have their dues taken against their will, and not have to worship at the altar of thuggery. Union membership should not be a requirement for employment.
There is a place on FT for political commentary about unions. I hope this topic returns to discussion relating to VX and the FA unionization as to VX specifically, otherwise, this is probably going to be end up locked or moved to OMNIland.

I trust that with respect to VX, a union understands that ultimately, a bankrupt airline, doesn't benefit anyone. I also believe that, with respect to VX, with my FA experiences, some others would have blamed the worst on union rules and job security (which wasn't the case, they were just bad FAs) and some others would have blamed the best on a lack of a union, which wouldn't explain the decades of excellent service I've received from unionized FAs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.