VX out of PHL - fall flights gone

Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:18 pm

Huh, I just booked a VX SFO-PHL round trip for August. I noticed they were down to one flight each way, but I didn't know they were cutting the route entirely! Guess I'll be among the last to fly it.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suranyi
Huh, I just booked a VX SFO-PHL round trip for August. I noticed they were down to one flight each way, but I didn't know they were cutting the route entirely! Guess I'll be among the last to fly it.
VX may have some other sales to fill up these seats before the service ends. I remember getting some great prices from WN on their PHL transcons right before the service ended.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
Under Parker's leadership, US (and now AA) is a fearsome competitor at PHL. Every "low fare" competitor who starts service ultimately pulls out. It's probably a combination of US's tactics and the dynamics of the PHL market. I knew VX would fail, given the fuel cost involved in running transcons (aka, if WN couldn't make short/medium haul from PHL work, there was no way VX was going to make long haul work).

I guess the next question is when JetBlue will abandon the PHL-BOS market. Spirit has also started some odd-ball routes from PHL (like PHL-DFW) that would seem to have failure written all over them (who in their right mind would want to compete against two AA hubs?), but perhaps Spirit's model is so different that they can hang on. I wouldn't bet on it, though; I've seen plenty of cheap US fares between PHL and DFW, so I can't imagine Spirit is making money on that route (nobody would fly Spirit if given a reasonable alternative).
Technically when Spirit started the route, it was a US hub at PHL and AA hub at DFW, AA was in bankruptcy, and the merger had not started yet. So, Spirit was building up DFW and wanted to link it to a number of cities likely trying to become a low fare name out in DFW. For some reason, it chose not to do DFW-ACY but opened up PHL with DFW-PHL as one route.

But you're right that fares are being matched even now on usairways.com. I checked for May 7, just 8 days away, and usairways.com is selling $74 fares on multiple flights. Oddly, when I go to americanairlines.com (likely used by DFW pax more), and check the same flights, it's sold for much more!

$74 usairways.com Coach, Flight 1731 Operated by US Airways
$289 americanairlines.com Choice, Flight 1731 Operated by US Airways

I do wonder once it's truly just AA, if pricing will be like US or AA on the route.

It appears then pre-merger VX's interest was on LAX-PHL then and on LAX point of sale, and this of course, the route started before US and AA had merged.

It got UA and DL off the route, and expected LA point of sale, because US is considered a budget carrier, kind of like a lesser known regarded carrier out West. But with the merger, now it's AA, which has a huge network and name.

Last edited by rtalk25; Apr 29, 2014 at 9:09 pm
Old Apr 30, 2014, 2:23 am

Originally Posted by Tanaka07
VX is not cutting PDX. Check your sources. Just reducing frequency. PDX-SFO still for sale through the end of schedule.
You misunderstood me. I am aware PDX is not being cut. I was simply saying I called it early for PHL to be cut before SJC OR PDX.
Old May 18, 2014, 10:32 pm

I'm so disappointed by this. I HATE US with a passion and refuse to fly them after numerous awful experiences. Fell in love with VX about 6 months into their service out of PHL and have used them from PHL to LAX ever since. I once got a flight nonstop from PHL to LAX for under $260. Now I'll be lucky to get that for double with US having the monopoly again.
Old May 19, 2014, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by pipervali
I'm so disappointed by this. I HATE US with a passion and refuse to fly them after numerous awful experiences. Fell in love with VX about 6 months into their service out of PHL and have used them from PHL to LAX ever since. I once got a flight nonstop from PHL to LAX for under $260. Now I'll be lucky to get that for double with US having the monopoly again.
Maybe use VX from EWR, or Southwest nonstop from BWI or one-stop/connection from PHL.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:17 pm

this leaves US is the only airline has nonstop fly to LAX, really??? PHL only have one airline offer nonstop flight to LAX???? thats sad to see. hope WN or DL/AA could add one. no hope on UA to add this route.
Old May 23, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by cubachao
this leaves US is the only airline has nonstop fly to LAX, really??? PHL only have one airline offer nonstop flight to LAX???? thats sad to see. hope WN or DL/AA could add one. no hope on UA to add this route.
Well AA is merging with US so that leaves DL, UA, or WN. WN flew this years ago.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 2:04 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
Well AA is merging with US so that leaves DL, UA, or WN. WN flew this years ago.
I suspect DL will give it a go again if they stay committed to their LAX strategy. UA? Who knows. Do their new E175s have the legs for this route?
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA
Not to beat a dead horse, but I really hope VX starts PHL from LAX and SFO when they get new planes next year. I have to say, for SFO FFs, it's pretty sad that VX doesn't fly to the fifth largest city in the country.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Or, AA puts some of their nicer planes with AVOD on this route. I know it seems unlikely, but the PHL route is the main reason I started flying VX versus AA/US on this route.

Rasheed
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:03 pm

No

If it were profitable and something they wanted to keep, they'd keep it. Period.

Originally Posted by bridge29
Not to beat a dead horse, but I really hope VX starts PHL from LAX and SFO when they get new planes next year. I have to say, for SFO FFs, it's pretty sad that VX doesn't fly to the fifth largest city in the country.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jasondc
If it were profitable and something they wanted to keep, they'd keep it. Period.
It might not have been profitable, but I don't think we know for sure.

I don't know if JetBlue's PHL flights are profitable either, but PHL is a major market for travel from BOS, so JetBlue flies it anyway. Having the network connectivity is important for FFs. I think the same logic applies here for VX. PHL is the fifth largest city and sixth largest metropolitan area in the U.S. That's a pretty big hole in the network, IMO.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by jasondc
It doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't profitable. Just that up against their other routes and their upcoming DAL/DCA routes they thought there are routes that would provide more profit.

PHL-LAX/SFO is a strange market.
This now leaves WN, F9, DL, UA, and VX that have all tried PHL-LAX and eventually cancelled it.

Last edited by nova08; Aug 11, 2014 at 11:46 am
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by nova08
It doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't profitable. Just that up against their other routes and their upcoming DAL/DCA routes they thought there are routes that would provide more profit.

PHL-LAX/SFO is a strange market.
This now leaves WN, DL, UA, and VX that have all tried PHL-LAX and eventually cancelled it.
hope Spirit can try it and rock it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.