Search

What's up with the PDX schedule?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2014, 7:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic
What's up with the PDX schedule?

Is VX bailing on PDX?

Their schedule in June on has ONE flight from SFO -> PDX leaving at 8:35PM and ONE flight from PDX-> SFO leaving at 7:00AM.

These off peak times certainly can't help fill these 2 planes.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by bevnetcraven
Is VX bailing on PDX?

Their schedule in June on has ONE flight from SFO -> PDX leaving at 8:35PM and ONE flight from PDX-> SFO leaving at 7:00AM.

Hey not for nothing, they do appear to be adding a fourth flight SFO to BOS on June 16th. Maybe just for the Summer months.

that and the pullback from SJC appears to show system-wide flight changes.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 8:14 pm

Bummer

Same thing in the Fall too. That's a bummer.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
SFO-PDX & PDX-SFO will go to 1 flight daily starting 6/17/14 . Going to ask for a refund for my original evening flight in September.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, National EE
Originally Posted by VAFlyerSAN
SFO-PDX & PDX-SFO will go to 1 flight daily starting 6/17/14 . Going to ask for a refund for my original evening flight in September.
Full refund to the original form of payment is allowed when canceling an existing reservation due to the schedule change.
Old Apr 2, 2014, 10:41 pm

Is VX bailing on PDX?

Wow! Sure seems like it . First, VX dropped the PDX-LAX route and now SFO is being reduced too?
Old Apr 3, 2014, 12:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Yep, and the timings make weekend jaunts to PDX difficult (if you want a RT on VX to Portland, you always have one more night than day -- whereas for weekend trips I ideally want number of nights spent away from home less than or equal to number of days spent away from home).

I'm guessing the new timings are for aircraft utilization purposes -- the plane can do a transcon RT from SFO, do a quick SFO - PDX at night with PDX - SFO early the next morning, and get back to SFO early enough to do another transcon.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Yep, and the timings make weekend jaunts to PDX difficult (if you want a RT on VX to Portland, you always have one more night than day -- whereas for weekend trips I ideally want number of nights spent away from home less than or equal to number of days spent away from home).

I'm guessing the new timings are for aircraft utilization purposes -- the plane can do a transcon RT from SFO, do a quick SFO - PDX at night with PDX - SFO early the next morning, and get back to SFO early enough to do another transcon.
I'm sure you are right....But what's the point of servicing a city if you are going to offer a crap product? Those times can't be good for business or leisure travelers so that's exactly what it is.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I'm sure you are right....But what's the point of servicing a city if you are going to offer a crap product? Those times can't be good for business or leisure travelers so that's exactly what it is.
Perhaps by pulling out of PDX, they lose any subsidy that they are getting? So they decide to service it with one flight a day.

It's pretty ridiculous. I've tried to go to PDX via VX and the times do not work for me.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Bump!

They are still running ostensibly the same schedule everyone here was complaining about last year. We're trying to do a weekend trip to Portland and these times really do suck.

Has anyone seen the load factor on these flights? I'm surprised, honestly, that they've been running them for this long at these times... just seems unlikely that they'd be filling them profitably. Are they filled?

I guess they know better than we do.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:15 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS Gold, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
Bump!

They are still running ostensibly the same schedule everyone here was complaining about last year. We're trying to do a weekend trip to Portland and these times really do suck.

Has anyone seen the load factor on these flights? I'm surprised, honestly, that they've been running them for this long at these times... just seems unlikely that they'd be filling them profitably. Are they filled?

I guess they know better than we do.
Anecdotally, I have flown the route three times in the past two months (2x SFO-PDX; once PDX-SFO) and the aircraft went out full in F and very close to full in MC (i.e., middle seats towards the back) on all three runs. Of course, full load in and of itself doesn't = profitability.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Will be heading to Portland tomorrow and the flight is near full capacity. F is full outbound and there's one seat available on the return on Saturday.

The schedule does suck though. Leaving tomorrow evening just to be there for a 9 AM meeting. After that, guess it will be a chance for me to explore Portland as I am overnighting it again there just to be on the 6:45 AM flight returning to SFO. Oh the hoops we jump through to support the Hometown airline.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
VX has FINALLY added PDX frequency!!
PDX-SFO will go 2x daily starting in April. This was well overdue.
Old Dec 20, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Tanaka07
VX has FINALLY added PDX frequency!!
PDX-SFO will go 2x daily starting in April. This was well overdue.
Wish this improvement was starting sooner. Will be heading back to PDX twice next month!

Waaaa!!
Old Dec 20, 2015, 5:07 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
My best guess is that the load/yield numbers made more sense either LAX-SFO or on the longer-haul routes, so this had to wait until VX was able to find extra aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.