Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin America Service to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2014, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Virgin America Service to Hawaii

This is what I know about the Future of Virgin America…

I understand that from last year, Virgin America was talking about maybe doing Hawaii Service sometime in 2015
(if they get more Sharklet Equipped Airbus A319’s and A320’s), but are they really going to be doing it in the future?

If it ever happens, how many Hawaiian Destinations will they be flying to (Honolulu, Kahului, Kailua-Kona, etc...) out of the mainland?

The only thing that I know is that they will probably be only flying out of San Francisco and Los Angeles at this point, if they do Hawaii service. That's all I need to ask. Thanks!!!
Old Mar 4, 2014, 7:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/virgi...ghlight=hawaii
Old Mar 12, 2014, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I wonder how long they will last, as Hawaiian is not going to allow VX to steal their bread and butter markets and HA already flies widebody aircraft on these markets.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by fly747first
I wonder how long they will last, as Hawaiian is not going to allow VX to steal their bread and butter markets and HA already flies widebody aircraft on these markets.
That ship has sailed. AS has already been eating HA's lunch for the last year and a half.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
UA has far more to lose than HA.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcat
UA has far more to lose than HA.
You can read the UA threads, but basically they are flying crap over the Pacific. That is, when there isn't a mechanical.

What was once a fabulous "experience" to the islands with wide-bodied jets has largely, though not entirely, been reduced to single-isle 757, which say United on the outside, but feel more like "Ted" (just the basics) inside.

Personally, I welcome VX to the market.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DBCme
You can read the UA threads, but basically they are flying crap over the Pacific. That is, when there isn't a mechanical.
Where isn't UA flying crap?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unavaca
That ship has sailed. AS has already been eating HA's lunch for the last year and a half.
I have taken LAX/SFO - HNL flights many times with HA and they are usually pretty full both in F and Y so if AS indeed had stolen that much of HA's lunch, HA would have reduced frequencies, not to mention that AS only flies 737s which are much smaller than HA's A332s and B763s.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Where isn't UA flying crap?
The last two times I booked round-trip flights with UA, two of my flights were 3+ hours delayed due to mechanical. Really P**** me off...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: UA G
I have taken LAX/SFO - HNL flights many times with HA and they are usually pretty full both in F and Y so if AS indeed had stolen that much of HA's lunch, HA would have reduced frequencies, not to mention that AS only flies 737s which are much smaller than HA's A332s and B763s.
I've never understood the widebody fetish. It'd a 5 hour-long domestic flight, not unlike a tcon. Flying a widebody doesn't make sense unless you've already got all the frequency you need and just need capacity.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
I've never understood the widebody fetish. It'd a 5 hour-long domestic flight, not unlike a tcon. Flying a widebody doesn't make sense unless you've already got all the frequency you need and just need capacity.
Widebody is way better. I love me some A320's & 737's, but much prefer flying on a widebody cause of the following:

- More bathrooms. Don't have to wait in a single aisle to use 2 bathrooms.
- I deplane in about 10 minutes, even in the back of a full plane with widebodies. Narrowbodies? At least 20+ minutes.
- Wider space... makes you feel more open and less claustrophobic.
- Faster plane... get you there quicker.

Those are just my preferences. I'm sure there's more and I'm sure people will disagree as well.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wasn't referring to the comfort of widebody aircraft, but rather, the obvious larger capacity which would enable HA to easily undercut AS at any given time since the A330s and B767s can carry almost twice as many passengers as B737s.

When jetBlue tried to enter ATL, DL overnight started flying widebodies ATL - JFK to force B6 out and they did.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I wasn't referring to the comfort of widebody aircraft, but rather, the obvious larger capacity which would enable HA to easily undercut AS at any given time since the A330s and B767s can carry almost twice as many passengers as B737s.
Of course A330s and B767s also cost a lot more to fuel, staff and land...

Note that AS has done just fine flying West Coast-Hawaii in a lot of HA markets... which markets has AS been driven out of after 6+ years of flying to Hawaii? They've adjusted frequency in the Bay Area some, but they certainly haven't left anywhere...
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

Note that AS has done just fine flying West Coast-Hawaii in a lot of HA markets... which markets has AS been driven out of after 6+ years of flying to Hawaii? They've adjusted frequency in the Bay Area some, but they certainly haven't left anywhere...
And they're adding Bay Area service...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

That's relative... Emirates is one of the world's most profitable airlines and they only operate widebodies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.