Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Accidentally CANCELLED MY TICKET when flight was not cancelled

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2014, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Please help.

My best friends wedding was this weekend. I was supposed to fly from Newark NJ to LAX on Virgin on Friday morning. Everyone's flights were getting cancelled and I called Thursday to speak with a representative and she stated that it was cancelled. I told her that online it was not cancelled however and she stated that was wrong.

We preceded to look for other flights but because of the snow story there were no other flights she could find on VA. I hung up sadly trying to look for my own way to get to LA for the weekend I was supposed to be a bridesmaid.

I then noticed the flight status had not changed at all. My flight was still scheduled. I then called VA back and spent hours on the phone where she said she would have to check the phone call where the person cancelled my flight -- after all that. She said I had an option to book a flight elsewhere and hope the airline would reimburse me.

I called first thing in the morning when "guest services" was open. They confirmed that YES they made a mistake and offered to find a flight THERE but I would still have to pay for the return flight ($147). The only option they had would get me to the wedding late and it was still not a sure thing, it could get cancelled. If I chose not to take the flight after the devastating news of missing my friends wedding....they would only offer me $100 + refund.

I missed work, I had 3 photography gigs in LA that weekend as well -- still nothing.

Since I booked the return flight on someone else's miles we could not get a hold of them to confirm and all was LOST, aside from getting me there late.

They preceded to only offer me $210. I missed my best friends wedding, took a day off of work, missed 3 photography gigs that I had scheduled worth a lot of money, and all they offered me was barely enough for one flight?

This was not a cancelled flight! IT was THEIR fault! The flight was not cancelled and because she cancelled it after I made her double check three times, I missed out on the weekend of a life time..

PLEASE help. I deserve more than $210. What do I do?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 7:24 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I'm curious what others think as well. I was at Newark on Thursday and a couple had been kicked off their United flight Wednesday night even though they had confirmed seats. They received $1300 credit on United. Ridiculous to me that Virgin can get away with this.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I'm not following the whole thing. Can you summarize:
What the agent canceled on the first call?
What you ended up flying?
How much was the original ticket?
How much was the new ticket?
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Virgin America is VX, fyi. Pet peeve.

You should be able to call back and have another agent fix it. At this point it seems you've missed the wedding, and other events. Know what you want, be polite, and be persistent.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Abbie Sophia
Please help.

My best friends wedding was this weekend. I was supposed to fly from Newark NJ to LAX on Virgin on Friday morning. Everyone's flights were getting cancelled and I called Thursday to speak with a representative and she stated that it was cancelled. I told her that online it was not cancelled however and she stated that was wrong.

We preceded to look for other flights but because of the snow story there were no other flights she could find on VA. I hung up sadly trying to look for my own way to get to LA for the weekend I was supposed to be a bridesmaid.

I then noticed the flight status had not changed at all. My flight was still scheduled. I then called VA back and spent hours on the phone where she said she would have to check the phone call where the person cancelled my flight -- after all that. She said I had an option to book a flight elsewhere and hope the airline would reimburse me.

I called first thing in the morning when "guest services" was open. They confirmed that YES they made a mistake and offered to find a flight THERE but I would still have to pay for the return flight ($147). The only option they had would get me to the wedding late and it was still not a sure thing, it could get cancelled. If I chose not to take the flight after the devastating news of missing my friends wedding....they would only offer me $100 + refund.

I missed work, I had 3 photography gigs in LA that weekend as well -- still nothing.

Since I booked the return flight on someone else's miles we could not get a hold of them to confirm and all was LOST, aside from getting me there late.

They preceded to only offer me $210. I missed my best friends wedding, took a day off of work, missed 3 photography gigs that I had scheduled worth a lot of money, and all they offered me was barely enough for one flight?

This was not a cancelled flight! IT was THEIR fault! The flight was not cancelled and because she cancelled it after I made her double check three times, I missed out on the weekend of a life time..

PLEASE help. I deserve more than $210. What do I do?
This is inexcusable. You entered into a contract with VX and if your ticket shows"HK or OK(Holding Konfirmed) then they must get you to your destination r/t without any additional fees. Your Ticket Number and Confirmation Code is the contract that you entered into with Virgin America. Since they issued you a Ticket# and you did not cancel anything then by law they are obligated to get you to your final destination and even pay for hotel, food if it means you arrive at your destination early or have an early morning flight out of your local airport. Virgin America should also pay for your transportation to and from the airport if no one else can take you there due to an early morning or late morning flight.

You are in the position to negotiate since Virgin America admitted to their mistake. Ask for more and if you get less then fine but at least you can get what you want. Remember tell Virgin that they have to make lemons with lemonade to get you to your final destination.
Ask them to fly you in First Class Main Cabin Select etc or transfer your ticket to another carrier for a round trip ticket. Refuse to pay the $147 for the return ticket.

My point is Virgin America goofed and they must rebook you by law. If they refuse to do so then contact Chris Elliott or Conde Nast. You booked the ticket with your credit card so they should work with you especially since this is for an important event.

Write to the CEO ask for extra vouchers for your time off work. Tell them how much stress you are under and that your friend expected you to be there for the wedding. Explain that they must accommodate you on the ticketed routing no matter what the circumstances are. Keep escalating until your happy.

You missed the wedding thanks to Virgin America.

Try posting on their Twitter account as well. You are their customer and the airline relies on repeat business. Do not let them off easy on this one.

Please keep us posted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.