Does Virgin America do Status Matching?

Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:29 pm

Any recent data points on how long it is taking Virgin America to upgrade status from status matches?

I applied for a status match (SW Companion Pass) 3 days ago, and received an email reply within a day saying:

"Thanks for applying to match your elite status with a qualifying airline to Elevate Gold status with Virgin America. We’ve started processing your application, and have all the information needed to match your current status. Please allow up to 7 business days to update your Elevate status."

(I'll update this post when my status is successfully upgraded.)
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Sproketz
Any recent data points on how long it is taking Virgin America to upgrade status from status matches?

UPDATE: In answer to my own question, in case anyone is interested, my Elevate status was upgraded to Gold 4 days after I submitted the Status Match request on Virgin America's website. (I requested a match with my Southwest Companion Pass status for both myself AND my "companion".)

Very easy process and excellent customer service from the VA customer service rep.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:07 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Sproketz
UPDATE: In answer to my own question, in case anyone is interested, my Elevate status was upgraded to Gold 4 days after I submitted the Status Match request on Virgin America's website. (I requested a match with my Southwest Companion Pass status for both myself AND my "companion".)

Very easy process and excellent customer service from the VA customer service rep.
FWIW, I was waiting for you to report back. I just went to check my status on Virgin America, and while I haven't gotten an e-mail response, my account got upgraded in less than 48hrs since the status match request.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:29 am

Just a quick follow-up question--I can't seem to find the info I'm looking for...

I received a Virgin America Status Match (Gold) from Southwest CP. Is it possible to now request status match to another airline using my temporary Virgin America Gold status? (I won't be flying enough to get perm Gold status, since Virgin doesn't fly from my closest airport.)

BTW, we used our Virgin Gold status on recent coast-coast flights (SFO-FLL), and the perks were really great! Upgraded economy seats (with no 'middle' on packed flights), free bags, free entertainment, food & drinks, priority line at the counter, priority boarding, priority security, and a dedicated customer service line. We appreciated it all very, very, much.
Old May 10, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I recently status matched to gold, and I want to book a flight right away. The only seats left are main cable preferred, so if I book it before the status shows up on the website, can I call to get the $35 reimbursed at a later time? I already got the confirmation email stating that they can match me, but to wait 7 business days.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:51 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I recently status matched to Gold and am looking to complete the challenge in 90 days. I've called the special Gold line a couple times now and the CSRs are clueless to answer any questions and in fact gave me wrong information. Is that other people's experience, too? I'm used to the special status phone numbers at other airlines that connect to CSRs who are smart and empowered. The ended up taking my info and passing it on to be answered via email. Has their customer service always been this poor?

My question is this:

If I book a flight for $100, that base points are 500, and the additional gold points are 700, for a total of 1200 points. Do the 1200 total points count towards the status challenge? Or only the base 500 points?

Also, I just booked a reservation with a base fare of $199 as Gold, and when I visit the "manage" section of the website, it says that I earn 1990 points. But that math is just 10 points per dollar. The earning on this should be 2388 points (x12). Perhaps the new changes to the benefits (12x vs. the old 10x) haven't been updated in their system.

Incidentally, the CSR initially said that $199 ticket would earn over 6000 points! They were pretty clueless.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 4:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Any word on whether matches will be offered again in 2017? Looks like the website still says to check back in 2017, but no other details offered...
Old Feb 5, 2017, 7:58 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

AS is not even status matching its own elites to Elevate, so it's very unlikely that any more VX status matches will be offered.

Elevate will be wound down and merged, probably by year-end. Mileage Plan is the future.

Last edited by dayone; Feb 11, 2017 at 7:49 pm Reason: Typo.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 2:42 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by dayone
AS is not even status matching it's own elites to Elevate, so it's very unlikely that any more VX status matches will be offered.

Elevate will be wound down and merged, probably by year-end. Mileage Plan is the future.
Thanks, that makes sense. Sounds like I am out of luck -- I matched to AS MVP 75k a few years ago and wasn't able to maintain this year...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.