Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Is F meal selection based on direction of flight or FEBO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, VX Gold, Hertz 5*

I've seen some references to meal selection following FEBO and other references to starting in the front on westbound flights and the back on eastbound flights. Now normally since westbound flights are odd numbered and eastbound flights are even numbered, this amounts to the same thing. But what about the eastbound VX1 (SFO-DCA) and westbound VX2 (DCA-SFO)? Is there an explicit policy that's well-followed or is this a crapshoot?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
On VX, I would say sit in the first row if you want a chance at picking the entree.

There does not appear to be a preference to Gold/Silver or any FEBO correlation.

This is what I observed on my flights in Dec.

Rasheed
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:48 pm

Inflight crew are taught to serve front to back on Eastbound / Northbound flights, and back to front on Westbound / Southbound flights. Whether this is consistently followed, I don't know. This is what I do when I am working First Class.

We will shortly unveil upgraded First Class amenities and service procedures, so stay tuned.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by VXCabinCrew

We will shortly unveil upgraded First Class amenities and service procedures, so stay tuned.
Will you be able to share them with us?
Old Dec 28, 2013, 4:56 am

Originally Posted by SoCalZman
Will you be able to share them with us?
I don't know much of anything myself
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:15 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Inflight crew are taught to serve front to back on Eastbound / Northbound flights, and back to front on Westbound / Southbound flights. Whether this is consistently followed, I don't know. This is what I do when I am working First Class.

VXCabinCrew: is this still current?

(Or, haha, what you see at the 'recurrent' trainings you go through and relearn about creating wow? lol)
Old Mar 21, 2015, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I have found that at least for me, the FAs Know Who I Am, so I have always received my first choice of meal, which keeps me a usually happy VX flyer.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 7:36 pm
Suspended

I've personally never had a problem with this -- I've always gotten my first choice with by luck, by being an elite, or (in once case) because the FA said knew what I wanted because I'd flown the same route with her like 3 times in the past month (crazy coincidence).

One time, I was approached by the lead cabin crew, addressed by name, thanked for my loyalty as a Gold member, and accordingly asked what I wanted to eat before she took orders via the normal sequence. In my experience i've only had/seen that happen in international business. Needless to say, I reported her outstanding service to leadership.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:24 pm

I can't say how new hires are being trained these days. However, most crews aren't following the meal orders by east - west direction these days. Usually full fare golds and silvers get first choice, followed by regular full fare guests and then gold and silver upgrades. I always find myself hop-scotching around the cabin to accommodate this.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:42 pm
Suspended

I can't say how new hires are being trained these days. However, most crews aren't following the meal orders by east - west direction these days. Usually full fare golds and silvers get first choice, followed by regular full fare guests and then gold and silver upgrades. I always find myself hop-scotching around the cabin to accommodate this.
Thanks for the info -- certainly makes sense and sounds fair enough to me.

This is a pretty ridiculous question, but it's something I've always wondered. Does the fare itself ever get factored in, or do you just look at the fare code (C D J vs. upgrade)? All else being equal (like if there was only one beef option left and two full-fare pax wanted it), would you give it to someone with a J fare (fully refundable) over someone with a D fare (more restricted)?

Or what if three F passengers are flying on a D fare, but
  • one was booked months in advance at the lowest D rate (i.e., $229 for LAX-SFO);
  • one was booked on short notice at a higher D fare without advance purchase discounts (i.e., $279 for LAX-SFO); and
  • one was booked using a promo code or promotion that heavily discounted the D fare to, say, $150?

Would the price paid for the D-class ticket influence meal preference? Do prices even appear on the pax lists you get, or does it just list fare code?

I know it's a really nuanced question, and I'm sure it varies among ITLs, but i'm more curious as to what info y'all have at your disposal to make those decisions. I definitely don't plan on ever starting an argument with an ITL about meal choices and fare codes (haha); I'm mainly just curious. Feel free to PM me instead if you don't want to post it publicly!

(I know there aren't any meals on LAX-SFO; I just used it for the example above because I'm most familiar with that route's pricing...)

Last edited by bayhouse; Mar 22, 2015 at 9:00 pm
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:44 pm

Wow, I really love how you analyzed the pricing structure in regards to meal options I wouldn't even know where to begin with the different pricing and fare buckets. I only know if a guest is full fare or an upgrade. I don't know any specifics of what someone paid. Usually, I have a guest that chooses not to eat, they bring their own food or prefer something from main cabin, so I usually don't have trouble offering guest's first choice. In the rare instances that I have two full fare guests and only one beef option left, for instance, I either offer first choice to the lady or I just let them know that I have one beef option and plenty of the other and that I will return shortly to check on them. And I've never had anyone disappointed or upset.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.