Wiki Posts
Search

LAX loft...worth the $40?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
LAX loft...worth the $40?

I have a 3hr layover at LAX, it the loft worth the money? I'm flying F but it looks like you have to buy refundable F to get free access. Also, is it pretty close to the gates? Thanks
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Yes, it is close to the VX gates. For 3 hours, likely worth it, but go there for the quiet space not any expectation of food, etc. I think it is definitely a better deal than other domestic clubs for sure.

Rasheed
Old Oct 17, 2013, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, is the food pretty bad?
Old Oct 18, 2013, 12:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by BAR423
Thanks, is the food pretty bad?
It's not bad, just not stellar. Frankly it's better free food than UA or AA lounges. There are small plates of mini wraps, sushi, fruit and cheese, etc. Plenty of cookies and other snacks.

If you're an aviation geek you'll like it because the views of take off and landing are pretty nice.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
For people who have jobs this a deal for the typical fter no.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
I posted some pictures of the lounge in my recent trip report: Virgin America Loft Lounge at LAX.

The food and drink selections are definitely better than the typical UA, US, or AA domestic lounge. The lounge became very busy after 8pm on the Thursday evening we were there (but, it was fairly empty when we arrived around 6:30pm). What I liked best about the lounge was the plane-watching; but, those seats did seem to be taken first.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL GM
I'm flying F but it looks like you have to buy refundable F to get free access.
Its not just refundable F fares that get access. It just has to be considered long-haul. The shortest long haul route is LAX-ORD, which I've gotten access with several times.

In general its quiet and at least there are small sandwiches, unlike most domestic clubs. Its a small lounge, but clean. Also, they don't announce boarding, so just make sure to watch the clock when its close to your flight.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chiefkays
Its not just refundable F fares that get access. It just has to be considered long-haul. The shortest long haul route is LAX-ORD, which I've gotten access with several times.

In general its quiet and at least there are small sandwiches, unlike most domestic clubs. Its a small lounge, but clean. Also, they don't announce boarding, so just make sure to watch the clock when its close to your flight.
So if I'm phl-lax I should get it? It would be offered at online check in right?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL GM
So if I'm phl-lax I should get it? It would be offered at online check in right?
I believe LAX-PHL is one of the listed routes. Check out the VX Loft web site. It lists the eligible route. You just need to show your boarding pass to the front desk attendant to gain access.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chiefkays
I believe LAX-PHL is one of the listed routes. Check out the VX Loft web site. It lists the eligible route. You just need to show your boarding pass to the front desk attendant to gain access.
Thanks
Old Dec 4, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, B6 Mosaic, VX Silver
They just scaled back the food. I was there last night and there was tomato soup, crackers, desserts, yogurt and fruit. No sushi, salads, wraps, etc. If this is important to you, it is definitely not worth the $40. On the upside, they still have a full bar.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by HockeyPoser
They just scaled back the food. I was there last night and there was tomato soup, crackers, desserts, yogurt and fruit. No sushi, salads, wraps, etc. If this is important to you, it is definitely not worth the $40. On the upside, they still have a full bar.
wow really? That seems a bit cheap to me considering they charge everyone that goes in there 40 bucks. How busy was it, anyway? The one time I went in it was way too full.

They changed the wording of their VX Loft web page too. I believe it used to be an actual menu:
•Grab a bite.
Enjoy a spread of light snacks all day before you hit the jetway.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 6:12 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by SoCalZman
Originally Posted by HockeyPoser
wow really? That seems a bit cheap to me considering they charge everyone that goes in there 40 bucks. How busy was it, anyway? The one time I went in it was way too full.

They changed the wording of their VX Loft web page too. I believe it used to be an actual menu:
•Grab a bite.
I don't think the wording has changed. I know it is 2 for 1 until end of year if you buy a pass at the lounge, and I heard Virgin Australia is moving out very soon (90% of the evening traffic). I won't see any changes myself until my free allocation resets in January.

Rasheed
Old Dec 5, 2013, 9:42 am

VA is moving out? That's awesome news to me. They really clogged up the club when I was there. I couldn't even find a place to sit.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, B6 Mosaic, VX Silver
Originally Posted by SoCalZman

•Grab a bite.
I was there a couple of hours. It got a little busy, but I still was able to have a space to myself. I arrived around 5pm and left at 730pm. The peak seemed to be 530pm-630pm.

For the VX staff that are lurking, this is a significant devaluation of the product. You might want to remove the signs at LAX in the terminals that promise "food."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.