Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX loft...worth the $40?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:24 am

Programs: UA G
They must really be hurting for business. They're making announcements every 10 minutes advertising their two-for-one daypass special at the loft
Old Dec 6, 2013, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, B6 Mosaic, VX Silver
At half price, it's worth it!
Old Dec 9, 2013, 6:39 pm

Programs: VX Silver, UA Silver, AA Gold
Whoa they downgraded the food?! That sucks. It was much better than what you find on other domestic clubs and they featured a lot of snacks that were available on actual VX flights such as the asian noodle salad, some of the sandwiches, parfaits, etc.

If the food options were still there, you could definitely get you're money's worth with the food and drinks (the cocktails are actually quite good) for 3 hours.

For posterity I'll post food pics from my trip during end of Nov.

Cheese plate, and cesar salad:

Bagel with lox, and berry salad:

Mango and cucumber wrap, and tomato and asparagus quiche:

Last edited by goodndntwin; Dec 9, 2013 at 6:41 pm Reason: wrong captions
Old Dec 20, 2013, 7:25 am

I decided to check out the loft on a trip into LAX last night. One nice thing about VX is that they let me in, even though I had just landed (something delta never let me do). At 8pm on a Thursday night, it was very quiet - maybe 5-8 people.

The food really is just light snacks: bread (with lb and j), yoghurt, cookies, biscotti, fruit, and nuts. The bar reasonable for a club, with 4 beers on tap, 2 or 3 wines, and various liquors (I noticed sapphire gin but didn't pay attention to the others). The bartender was very attentive and seemed to enjoy the requests for specialty drinks. He was also good at restocking the snacks. Oh, they also stock soy milk, which would have been nice if my dairy-allergic spouse were with me.

Wifi is provided and speeds seemed reasonable. For plane spotters, they have binoculars.

Overall, a typical airport club. It's a nice benefit if you are gold, or if you are looking for a few drinks.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:13 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Here's an unflattering review -- the food selection looks quite paltry. It's certainly a far cry from the VS Clubhouses, which have very tasty cooked-to-order meals included.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
They should make a deal with AMEX for Plat/Cent access. Would be a win-win and possibly drive some more ticket sales too.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier 1K, Amex Plat, GlobalEntry
As someone who uses both...

As someone who uses both Virgin America's Loft at LAX and Virgin Atlantic Clubhouse at Heathrow often, there really is no comparison, but as your normal airport lounge goes LAX Loft its nicer than most. The food sucks but its quiet and convenient. I'd say that yes its worth the $40 as the cluster of gates that VX uses is usually very busy and simply finding an outlet to charge your phone is a miracle.

The only lounge that bests the Virgin Clubhouse at LHR, that I've been to, is the Singapore Airlines "The Private Room" at SIN. Totally different vibe but extremely nice.

Steve

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
Here's an unflattering review -- the food selection looks quite paltry. It's certainly a far cry from the VS Clubhouses, which have very tasty cooked-to-order meals included.

Last edited by backdoc; Dec 21, 2013 at 5:10 am
Old Dec 21, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
LAX loft...worth the $40?

Oh my, the open cooler was where the real food was at, bad news indeed as indicated by others.

Rasheed
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GoAmtrak
It used to be much better but as others have noticed they got rid of all the decent snacks, they still have good booze though...

Originally Posted by tdb27
They should make a deal with AMEX for Plat/Cent access. Would be a win-win and possibly drive some more ticket sales too.
Lady at checkin today said they almost have the deal finished and expected it to start early Jan 2014 for Amex Plat/Cent
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:02 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by tdb27
would AMEX pay VX some kind of fee too?
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
It used to be much better but as others have noticed they got rid of all the decent snacks, they still have good booze though...

Lady at checkin today said they almost have the deal finished and expected it to start early Jan 2014 for Amex Plat/Cent
The lady at checkin is quite incorrect. It will not be an Amex card.
Old Dec 30, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by cringle
The lady at checkin is quite incorrect. It will not be an Amex card.
To be clear, the speculation is about adding access to the Amex lounge program with their existing premium cards, not the future VX affinity card.
Old Jan 9, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
I just received a Gold email from VX reminding me of the benefits. It looks like another benefit we get is that Loft access is only $20 instead of $40. That makes me much more likely to use it. This also happens to be another suggestion I sent to them to enhance their rewards that they appear to have thought was a good idea as well (rollover status points being the other). Not sure if this is temporary/perm (language seems to indicate its perm) or also applies to Silver members. Any Silver members around to review their welcome emails?

Last edited by SoCalZman; Jan 9, 2014 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, A3 Gold, VX Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by SoCalZman
I just received a Gold email from VX reminding me of the benefits. It looks like another benefit we get is that Loft access is only $20 instead of $40. That makes me much more likely to use it. This also happens to be another suggestion I sent to them to enhance their rewards that they appear to have thought was a good idea as well (rollover status points being the other). Not sure if this is temporary/perm (language seems to indicate its perm) or also applies to Silver members. Any Silver members around to review their welcome emails?
Silver discounted entry is for $25, per the status renewal email I just got. Now if they'd only add something in SF, I might actually use it...
Old Jan 9, 2014, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The Loft is now Priority Pass-affiliated. Near Ghost-town at 930a yesterday. Not worth $40 based upon the breakfast spread. If I was there later and had a couple of adult beverages, the value proposition might have changed. Very nice staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.