Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

VX planning Hawaii Service in 2015 with A320 sharklets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

VX planning Hawaii Service in 2015 with A320 sharklets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2013, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
As a resident of S.F., SFO is my preferred airport, followed by OAK. The downsides of OAK are that it is maybe 10-15 minutes farther away, does not have Pre-Check lanes, and has worse rush-hour traffic. A benefit of OAK is better on-time performance. SJC is not an option.

With regard to Hawaii, all our past trips had been from SFO via UA. (We fly only to KOA/OGG/LIH, and only non-stop, so UA and AS are our only options.) But, on our last trip, UA was insanely expensive, so we tried AS from OAK.

SFO and OAK are not "interchangeable" for me. I will generally pay a bit more to fly out of SFO, though not too much more.
When I'm in San Francisco, I'll take OAK over SFO for departures.
Pre-Check aside which I have no access to, SFO is I'd say Bar-none the slowest security in any airport I've ever flown out of. It doesen't help that JetBlue still operates out of the international terminal which is a TREK of a walk.

In my dozens of flights out of the Bay, OAK has just always delivered a better performance- it also, surprisingly is cheaper to take the BART to OAK Coliseum then use AirBART than it is to take BART directly to SFO, from where I live sometimes a bit faster too.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by Michael El
Bay Area flyers see OAK, SFO and, sometimes, SJC as interchangeable so they can go head to head against AS out of SFO. LAX may be a different story with UA, HA, DL, AA/US.
Really? Hmmmm! In all the years I've lived here in Bay Area, I've never even considered SJC as an option even when stuck outside of the area due IRROPS!

True, I live in SF and prefer not to have to trek from SJC regardless of the price lures! Getting to OAK is going to be better once the new BART service starts. But until then, I'm always bee lining it to SFO unless OAK is a no brainer with regards to price differences!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
We do? Some of us do, sometimes, but many do not.
I suppose it depends on if you're a member of a loyalty program. The vacationer will commute to save a few bucks.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Wonder if that means LAX and SAN are "the same market".
Or course not, but SNA, BUR and, sometimes, ONT are the same market as LAX.

Originally Posted by nnn
As a resident of S.F., SFO is my preferred airport, followed by OAK. The downsides of OAK are that it is maybe 10-15 minutes farther away, does not have Pre-Check lanes, and has worse rush-hour traffic. A benefit of OAK is better on-time performance. SJC is not an option.

With regard to Hawaii, all our past trips had been from SFO via UA. (We fly only to KOA/OGG/LIH, and only non-stop, so UA and AS are our only options.) But, on our last trip, UA was insanely expensive, so we tried AS from OAK.

SFO and OAK are not "interchangeable" for me. I will generally pay a bit more to fly out of SFO, though not too much more.
Broaden your horizons. You might like other parts of the Bay Area.

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Really? Hmmmm! In all the years I've lived here in Bay Area, I've never even considered SJC as an option even when stuck outside of the area due IRROPS!

True, I live in SF and prefer not to have to trek from SJC regardless of the price lures! Getting to OAK is going to be better once the new BART service starts. But until then, I'm always bee lining it to SFO unless OAK is a no brainer with regards to price differences!
The Bay Area is not just SF. Someone from Union City or Redwood City could easily choose SFO, OAK or SJC.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:54 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Broaden your horizons. You might like other parts of the Bay Area.

What does "liking" other parts of the Bay Area have to do with whether I'll pay more to fly out of an airport that is closer to me?
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Just got a couple of quick glimpses on taxi and takeoff, but that sure looked like something in VX livery parked at LIH this afternoon.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 1:47 pm

Programs: VX Gold, UA MM, SPG Plat
Does anyone know the name or registration number of the aircraft with the winglets? I fly on VX weekly out of SFO and I have not seen it (or them)!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: Virgin America Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by transpac-canuck
Does anyone know the name or registration number of the aircraft with the winglets? I fly on VX weekly out of SFO and I have not seen it (or them)!
I see that plane all the time. Its hard to miss. The winglets are huge. Have only flown on it once though. Maybe theyre using it for its trans con routes.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Just got a couple of quick glimpses on taxi and takeoff, but that sure looked like something in VX livery parked at LIH this afternoon.
Looks like a VA (Not VX) 737 from Boeing Field in route to BNE:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/V...800Z/KBFI/PHLI
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:08 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Looks like a VA (Not VX) 737 from Boeing Field in route to BNE:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/V...800Z/KBFI/PHLI
Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by grt2106
In my dozens of flights out of the Bay, OAK has just always delivered a better performance- it also, surprisingly is cheaper to take the BART to OAK Coliseum then use AirBART than it is to take BART directly to SFO, from where I live sometimes a bit faster too.
Boy, I don't know. From downtown SFO to OAK, $3,75 or so for BART + $3.00 for the AirBART bus = $6.75. To SFO, it's about $7.50 or $8.00, isn't it? Not much in it. And IME AirBART is slow, crowded, and generally a pain in the neck. Everything will be great when the BART spur to OAK's doorstep is finally competed, though. I hope I live long enough to see it.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by BearX220
though. I hope I live long enough to see it.
Planning on dying anytime soon? It looks like late 2014.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Planning on dying anytime soon? It looks like late 2014.
Hawaii is the first pin on the map when they take delivery of the Neo. They're already talking about it publicly. http://www.businessweek.com/articles...get-used-to-it
Old Sep 6, 2013, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by socalgecko
Hawaii is the first pin on the map when they take delivery of the Neo. They're already talking about it publicly. http://www.businessweek.com/articles...get-used-to-it
Some would say 'dart in the dartboard...'.

I hope the route (and VX) succeeds!
Old Sep 7, 2013, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Bay Area flyers see OAK, SFO and, sometimes, SJC as interchangeable so they can go head to head against AS out of SFO. LAX may be a different story with UA, HA, DL, AA/US.
I think most people here have a preference for one airport over the others; for some it's a very strong preference. As much as I prefer SFO itself over OAK, SFO means crossing the Bay Bridge and going through S.F. If traffic is light, that's no big deal. Unfortunately, traffic is seldom light outside of the wee-hours.
Old Sep 7, 2013, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
I think most people here have a preference for one airport over the others; for some it's a very strong preference. As much as I prefer SFO itself over OAK, SFO means crossing the Bay Bridge and going through S.F. If traffic is light, that's no big deal. Unfortunately, traffic is seldom light outside of the wee-hours.
Do you ever BART to SFO?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.