Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Experience redeeming VX miles on International Partners

Old Jul 10, 2016, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
I recently called and on two separate occasions was connected with someone who could assist with an international reward booking on a partner airline. I was surprised I didn't need to be transferred (like I do in most instances).
Old Jul 22, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Booked LHR-JFK on VS in upper class. Call was very efficient. You need to select the correct phone option - they now have a new menu and it's possible to get connected directly to the burn desk if you said the right thing. Elevate->reward travel->partners.

Did not charge me $20 phone booking fee. Taxes came to 325GBP, mainly of UK ADP and YQ. Strangely it is slightly less than if booked through Delta (338GBP). There shouldn't be any reason unless DL has been ripping us off...
Old Jul 29, 2016, 8:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Gold, Delta, AMEX Membership Rewards
Just booked two VS upper class tickets from ORD - LHR. It only took me two calls to get a competent agent and get things locked into place...
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Just to stress the severity of the SQ problem, agent looked thru to June of 2017 and found ZERO availability for SIN-BKK for 1 pax. Meanwhile AC.com shows tons of availability. Escalated to supervisor and asked her to let SQ know about this.

Oddly we were able to book same route in J for 4 pax a few months ago. So it wasn't always like this. But it's now definitely beyond ridiculous.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by italdesign
Just to stress the severity of the SQ problem, agent looked thru to June of 2017 and found ZERO availability for SIN-BKK for 1 pax. Meanwhile AC.com shows tons of availability. Escalated to supervisor and asked her to let SQ know about this.

Oddly we were able to book same route in J for 4 pax a few months ago. So it wasn't always like this. But it's now definitely beyond ridiculous.
It's ridiculous, they should just remove SQ is a partner at this point. I have had them look at over 100+ days for SIN-CGK and no availability in any class.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Question for Elevate veterans. I'm interested in going from Queenstown to Nadi. VX's chart for VA doesn't show such an option. Instead one can pull up Queenstown to BNE/SYD and BNE/SYD to Nadi, separately. Does that mean it would be priced as two separate awards? If so, then AA has better pricing since anywhere intra-South Pacific is only 15k, whereas VX would be 19k additively.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:59 pm

Disappointing about SQ.

I've been saving for a first class trip and almost there. I redeemed for Emirates last year for business. It was a weird experience, and a lot of taxes.

When it came time, they said we didn't qualify for the driver service, which I expected but then said I couldn't use their SFO lounge, which I didn't expect. Emirates also said I was classified as an "employee ticket" and don't get any benefits, which was really insulting.

Coming home was without problem, using the lounge and all. Overall amazing airline, but difficult in SFO at the airport.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Virgin America Gold, Virgin Atlantic Gold, AAdvantage Platinum, B6 Mosaic, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by elawton
Disappointing about SQ.

I've been saving for a first class trip and almost there. I redeemed for Emirates last year for business. It was a weird experience, and a lot of taxes.

When it came time, they said we didn't qualify for the driver service, which I expected but then said I couldn't use their SFO lounge, which I didn't expect. Emirates also said I was classified as an "employee ticket" and don't get any benefits, which was really insulting.

Coming home was without problem, using the lounge and all. Overall amazing airline, but difficult in SFO at the airport.
That's disappointing to hear about SFO
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:25 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
SQ

I'm still not able to get any agents to locate availability for a simple SIN-CGK or SIN-BKK, in both Y and J. I have probably attempted 100 days with availability showing via AC and NH. The agent I spoke with today told me that she hasn't been able to book SQ awards for the past three or four months. Virgin should just remove SQ as a listed partner for redemptions.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 5:58 am

I have had the same frustrating experience trying to book SQ. Also their award calculator shows a flight from LHR-EDI that hasn't existed since 2015.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:50 pm

I called today and was told you can no longer call in and speak to someone at the burns desk. Instead I was directed to send an email request, and that I would hear back within 24 hours with the flight possibilities.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vision4bg
I called today and was told you can no longer call in and speak to someone at the burns desk. Instead I was directed to send an email request, and that I would hear back within 24 hours with the flight possibilities.
They take weeks to respond.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 3:34 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Oh ...., not this again...

(For the record, I still remember the horror stories from this spring and that is what I'm reacting to.)
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:26 pm

The burn desk called me back in 30 min, I was impressed.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by italdesign
Question for Elevate veterans. I'm interested in going from Queenstown to Nadi. VX's chart for VA doesn't show such an option. Instead one can pull up Queenstown to BNE/SYD and BNE/SYD to Nadi, separately. Does that mean it would be priced as two separate awards? If so, then AA has better pricing since anywhere intra-South Pacific is only 15k, whereas VX would be 19k additively.
You would just have to call and try. I suspect because of the multiple flight segments/transit, you are out of luck though.

I would just make the request, have your flight numbers read, then wait for them to price it. Of course, we all expect it to price as two round-trips. Looks like you will be using AA miles for this one.

However, I am curious why you are comparing VX points to AA points. One VX point is not really equivalent to one AA point.

Rasheed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.