Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Barclay's Bank - Earn 5x Bonus Points promo - TARGETED

Barclay's Bank - Earn 5x Bonus Points promo - TARGETED

Old Sep 23, 2012, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Arrow Barclay's Bank - Earn 5x Bonus Points promo - TARGETED

Hi all,

Received a mailer yesterday that I was about to throw away because it was from Barclay's and a bright lime green color; I just though it was an offer for a bank credit card. Then I saw it said "...your Virgin America Visa card..."

It's a targeted offer for 5x bonus points from Oct1 thru Dec31. You must register by Oct20 at: http://offers.barclaycardus.com/p/Barclaycard/Bonus
Promo Code required (no, we can't see if my code will work thousands of times ). Capital letters in the URL need to be respected.

In Barclay's fashion, the splash lines do not match the terms and conditions:
Earn 5X bonus points every time you use your card.
Per the smaller text and the micro sized footnote text, every time really means "restaurant (including fast food), department store and electronic store" purchases.

I guess that's only eliminating gas and groceries. But are WalMart and Home Depot considered "department stores" ? When I hear that term I think of Sears, Macy's etc. It could mean any big box store with various products separated by departments, but then why would they need to specifically qualify "electronic store". Most electronic stores I know of also sell movies, ovens, vacuum cleaners etc.

I assume Barclay's is rolling out the promo to multiple card products. It's the only way I can think of why all the lime green colors for a marketing partner whose color is red. The VX logo only appears twice, it's small and black.

Last edited by steve64; Sep 23, 2012 at 11:12 pm
Old Sep 27, 2012, 8:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by steve64
...But are WalMart and Home Depot considered "department stores" ?
No. See this thread and use the tool linked in post 4 to lookup the VISA category for specific merchants:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-cc-spend.html
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
@Steve64:

Yeah, I got the same promo as I too was sorting through the mail and almost tossed it too. However, mine gave a bogus web address though. After typing it in my browser I was directed to an offer to apply for a USAirways CC!

I ended up calling the listed telephone number to enroll. The agent did indeed read off the correct info from the flyer though and said that he registered me. Let's see if THAT'S indeed true!

Last promo for the Q3 quarter seems to have went off without any glitches! I'm hopeful that the same holds true for this Q4 promo!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 5:22 pm

Damn I could really use this offer as I have a Virgin America Visa card (standard, not Signature) but didn't get the code or email...

Anyone out there who doesn't really care willing to give me their code? PM it to me.

Thanks!

Ethan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.