VX in talks SMF to start service Sacramento

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2012, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
VX in talks SMF to start service Sacramento

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament...n-america.html

VX is talking with city of Sacramento to start direct flight from SMF-LAX. VX is in negotiating with city of Sacramento. Hopefully, they will able to startup service from SMF. VX will received $400,000 incentives package.

Let's the speculation begins.

Last edited by N830MH; Apr 9, 2012 at 3:30 pm
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:27 am

Love me VX
Love me SMF
but VX @ SMF doesn't seem like a match made in heaven

WX alone has 8 non-stops, and UA runs 3 daily shuttles. Is there enough room in the sandbox for a new airline with 3 additional non-stops?

Now if the city could help win over some government contracts to VX...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:54 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Let the AA DEQM promo begin They just started up SMF-LAX themselves last year with regional jets and they do like responding to Virgin.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:18 am

One problem with intra CA routes is the amount of traffic they lose due to the bag fee.

I mean, how about a $10 flat rate for a checked bag on Intra CA routes, with the added ability to prepay online.

Example. Family of Four return.

Virgin: $60 fare, $25 bag fee. Total: $680 (even more if comparing against WN's 2 Bags)

Southwest: $60 fare, bags fly free!. Total: $480.

I cant say I know many that would take the VX option, for such short sectors of an hour you just cant justify it, and the difference equals another night away.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 9:36 am

I agree about the baggage fee. I just flew Southwest on Sunday from San Diego to the Bay Area with a family of 4. We had 4 bags, so we flew Southwest specifically because it would have cost me an additional $100 for the bags to fly VX.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
This airline is starting flights from Portland to SFO and LAX. Unfortunately you can't make connections to some of the destinations like Orlando. Rather than look at Sacramento I'd rather see the airline do it right and make it so we can get to all of the destinations. Frankly, Portland does not need another airline that gets us to SFO and LAX by itself. We have enough of those already and fares are not excessive either. I'd rather this airline tweak the frequencies to make it so we can actually connect to more destinations than see another destination added. Now, I have never flown Virgin America, but it seems that they've just added a marginal number of flights, but haven't really addressed anything for us we didn't already have. Thumbs down at the moment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.