A General Airline Standby Question - HELP!

Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ONE PASS
A General Airline Standby Question - HELP!

Sorry to take this here. I'm more reader than poster. But need some fast guidance.

Back story:

Booked on 11AM SFO to FLL on Virgin America

7:50AM has availability. They tell me I need to be there at 5:50AM, that there are seats open, but won't say how many. Also tell me that if it's not in my "class" then not available. They don't "bump up anyone to make room." Which I find preposterous.

There's a 11:55PM tonight, with space. They tell me I "cannot fly standby the day before..."

If I show up at the airport tonight do you think there's a chance they'd get me on that plane, or would they hold fast to that rule?

Has anyone experienced this?

I really thought they were going to be a great alternative to the Star Alliance, and I've stood by Continental for over 15 years, but I'm seeing this was a mistake.

THoughts, anyone?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
For Virgin America, you won't be able to standby the night before, standby is only permitted for the same fare class on the same day of travel.

In fact, most airlines are that way. Continental use to have 24hr standby, but since merging with United, I'm not sure that policy exist anymore.

Good luck.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:29 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving Thread to Virgin America Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Mar 3, 2012, 6:47 pm

LCC's don't upgrade customers unless there is some operations error on their part- Seat Broken, Oversold (which most LCCs do not do so much, minus Southwest who will of course upgrade you), or I have seen on VX some crazy situations where families who have kids were seated in exit rows and they needed to make a swap.

It is not uncommon for F and MCS cabins to fly nearly empty.
Just a difference from legacies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.