Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Unused Credits - Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Buying Unused Credits - Safe?

Hi All,
I recently discovered this forum a few months ago and thank you all for providing such great information here.

I have a question for all of you. Is it safe/wise to buy unused VX Flight credits from someone? I see ads once in a while on Craigslist that sells $1000 flight credits for $700 for example. Assuming that once the funds are transferred to your elevate account, are there any risks when checking in?

I actually did this already and booked a flight from SFO to FLL. Everything looks good right now but in the back of my head, I am just worried a surprise might come when I check in or approach the gate. Thanks for your opinions.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:46 pm

As long as the person you're buying from calls in and verifies the information before the transfer, ok'ing the transaction, as it were, there shouldn't be an issue.

VX records all their phone calls, and there would be an internal audit trail for the file itself.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Cringle. When I transferred the amount, the person gave me all their information and had me call Virgin to transfer it. The transfer went through and funds were in my account.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:48 pm

You will probably lose your money. I posted about this a few months ago. I can't give details about the scam, but I lost a lot of money, and therefore don't buy VX credit anymore.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aviators99
You will probably lose your money. I posted about this a few months ago. I can't give details about the scam, but I lost a lot of money, and therefore don't buy VX credit anymore.
Aviator: you are worrying me as my flight will be taking off in 48 hours. Why can you not elaborate on what happened? When/how did you realize that you got scammed? Please help!

Last edited by kman008; Jan 21, 2010 at 1:14 am
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by kman008
Aviator: you are worrying me as my flight will be taking off in 48 hours. Why can you not elaborate on what happened? When/how did you realize that you got scammed? Please help!
I sent you a PM regarding the next set of steps that can happen. I can't elaborate, because explaining how to perpetrate it can lead to more people doing it. I don't want more people to lose money.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

"DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist."

I have NEVER done a transaction on Craigslist that doesn't meet this rule. I've also never been scammed.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 8:55 pm

Since this has moved more mainstream (craigslist, as opposed to FT PM), I am going to create a sticky.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:35 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate, Amex, Delta, AA, BA Avios, United, US Airways, Marriott, Hilton
Just buy using Amex card. Has best buyer protection. They put onus on seller to prove they are legit when you dispute. Just know that you may be without money for a couple of months. Its usually a scam when it comes to this stuff though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.