Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Vantage Points program dead???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2001, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Vantage Points program dead???

I was considering flying Vanguard SFO-MCI (San Francisco-Kansas City) next month, and wanted to sign up for their FF program ahead of time.

Then I found this:

http://www.flyvanguard.com/frequentmain.asp

(In case the link doesn't work, it says, in part, "At this time we are not accepting new members to our Vantage Points Frequent Flyer Program so that we may offer you new and exciting programs in the very near future.")

Kathy

Old Sep 1, 2001, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Well, I guess the demise of Vanguard's Vantage Points program is not exactly a burning issue!

Does anyone here fly this airline?

Kathy
Old Sep 2, 2001, 9:50 am

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I've never flown them, but I've heard a few stories. They fly 737s, no frills, supposed to be slightly more legroom than average. (Oops, that used to be true; now they have 5 MD80 series too, and are phasing in a biz-class option similar to AirTran's. Biz class is only on the MD80s so far, so they're picking these up from someone else and not reconfiguring, probably.) It's a small line, maybe 15 planes in fleet. They've managed to last a few years and do a fair amount of business from the MCI hub, but they've reconfigured routes a lot over that time. Looks like focusing more on the hub than extra point-to-points like they used to do has helped them.

The major downside is if there's a problem with the plane/crew/whatever it's going to take *far* longer to get you a replacement in many cases than with a major line. If all goes smoothly, it'll be fine. If there's a problem, expect a longer than usual delay and possibly worse than usual customer service dealing with it. Miles aren't really gonna be in the equation much here, I'd say. If you want miles, see if any of the majors are matching Vanguard's fares. (They may not be; I don't gather they see them as much of a threat.) If they really are going to introduce a new FF program, my guess is it will be modeled on the Southwest-type programs where you earn flight credits instead of miles. Maybe like AirTran's, where you actually have to save a coupon from each flight (collect 12 in 12 months for free roundtrip). I don't know how their old one worked, though; if it already worked that way, then perhaps they're just suspending it for now.

[This message has been edited by CrazyOne (edited 09-02-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.