Search

Max number of US States visited in 1 year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Max number of US States visited in 1 year

OK so since I moved to the USA, I keep a record of every time I visit a state. How many overnight stays, airports, date of last visit, number of times visited. My best year was 2003 when I visited 47 states in the year + Washington DC. The ones I missed were Florida, Alaska and Hawaii.

How about the rest of you?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
OK so since I moved to the USA, I keep a record of every time I visit a state. How many overnight stays, airports, date of last visit, number of times visited. My best year was 2003 when I visited 47 states in the year + Washington DC. The ones I missed were Florida, Alaska and Hawaii.
?
I still need Hawaii, Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota and Montana.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I managed Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania and New Jersey in a week. (Plus a train that stopped in Delaware). Which isn't remotely impressive, but looks quite good considering i've otherwise only been to Washington State.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Don't forget, for anyone flying in/out of Cincinnati, it actually counts as Kentucky
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, close, Miss 47. The maximum is 50 (or 51 if D.C. counts).
Old Feb 13, 2012, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zigzagg900
Don't forget, for anyone flying in/out of Cincinnati, it actually counts as Kentucky
I remember my first time flying into CVG (ex MCI on Delta) and the FA saying "Welcome to Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky International Airport" - it totally threw me a curve. I asked inside the airport and was told "Yes sir, you are seven miles inside the state line here and not in Ohio"
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Back in 1984, United Airlines became the first - and so far as I know - only airline to fly its own jet aircraft into each of the fifty states. There were no commuter operations, such as United Express. In any event, in order to promote this United made the following offer to its Mileage Plus members:

Fly to all fifty states within a set 50 day period and get one year of free unlimited First Class travel within the 50 states. We're not talking upgrades here. We're talkin' totally free confirmed space First Class.

I and 67 other people did what came to be known as "The 50 State Marathon" and were subsequently awarded with those free First Class passes. I did all fifty states in 38 days.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Back in 1984, United Airlines became the first - and so far as I know - only airline to fly its own jet aircraft into each of the fifty states. There were no commuter operations, such as United Express. In any event, in order to promote this United made the following offer to its Mileage Plus members:

Fly to all fifty states within a set 50 day period and get one year of free unlimited First Class travel within the 50 states. We're not talking upgrades here. We're talkin' totally free confirmed space First Class.

I and 67 other people did what came to be known as "The 50 State Marathon" and were subsequently awarded with those free First Class passes. I did all fifty states in 38 days.
My God - that is ridiculously impressive. ^^
Old May 5, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have set the goal of doing all 50+DC by September. Doing CO, CA, NV, AZ, NM, TN this weekend on my mammoth WN metal trip to get 6 new airports. Next weekend I have a Friday night into BOS, MA - so will do MA, RI, CT, VT, NH, ME, NY.

So will only have MT, WY, ID, UT, OR, SC, NC, WA, AS, HI to do - just 10.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
?
I still need Hawaii, Alaska, Wyoming, North Dakota and Montana.
I need those 5 too. But are we sure Wyoming is a real state?
Old May 10, 2012, 12:17 am

I have been to 10 states in a year for vacation. It was nice to see all of those lovely places in different states.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
I want to visit all 57 states!

I've been to 49 but not in one year. Trying to get to a lot of states in one year would be too much of an effort and a numbers game, not enjoyment. Still, I'd like to see 10 states per year and pass through a few more.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:57 am
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW

It won't happen again, UA flying to 50 states. That was an effort to get numbers, not profits. Wilmington, DE got mainline UA service.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott

I remember that well, though I was not one of those who succeeded. One of the challenges was to figure out how to do it for the least amount of $$.

I even found your old post in the archives!!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...out-there.html

Last edited by JerryFF; May 10, 2012 at 11:44 am
Old May 10, 2012, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AllanAtlanta
I need those 5 too. But are we sure Wyoming is a real state?
Dick Cheney came from there didn't he?

In all fairness, as it has the worlds first National Park mainly in it, i.e. Yellowstone, IMHO that definitely qualifies it.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; May 10, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.