Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Entering the US from different airports

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Entering the US from different airports

I just noticed that my last 4 flights into the US were all at different airports (IAD, EWR, JFK and ORD). In fact, including two border crossings from Canada to the US (in NY and NH), my last six entries into the US were all made in different places.

How common is this among frequent flyers? My guess is that it's less common among them since they typically enter and leave through their favorite/nearest/most convenient airport.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by hyderago
I just noticed that my last 4 flights into the US were all at different airports (IAD, EWR, JFK and ORD). In fact, including two border crossings from Canada to the US (in NY and NH), my last six entries into the US were all made in different places.

How common is this among frequent flyers? My guess is that it's less common among them since they typically enter and leave through their favorite/nearest/most convenient airport.
I too wondered about this; does CBP keep records of US Citizen’s entries into the US and if so, is there a way for me to obtain such information?

My past five entries into the US were YUL, YVR, YYC, YVR, YVR, and ORD, not including the numerous land border crossings between US and Canada.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
I too wondered about this; does CBP keep records of US Citizen’s entries into the US and if so, is there a way for me to obtain such information?
I've heard that if you put in a Freedom of Information Act request for your records, you can see what records the CBP has on you.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by hyderago

I've entered the US from probably about 20 different border crossings and no-one has even given me a second glance.

FWIW, if you are a US citizen, you cannot legally be kept out of the country. You almost certainly won't get any stick for entering from as many via different places; after all, it's your country. You can come and go as you please.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
FFers usually enter the US through their favorite airline's hubs
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA; Amtrak
I would think it to be extremely common. A great many travelers do not live near an international gateway airport. Most will book based on price and not routing, and industry partnerships and consolidation mean there are more gateways and connection options in play.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
I've heard that if you put in a Freedom of Information Act request for your records, you can see what records the CBP has on you.
I'll be if you do that, then one of the records that CBP has on you will be "files Freedom of Information Act requests about him/herself".

Let's see...is that gonna make things easier or harder next time you enter the country?

Old Mar 18, 2011, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LizzyDragon84
It is true. I have mine. It is incredibly detailed in terms of what information they maintain about the itineraries, including every time you check/change your seat assignments and the IP address of the computer from which you do so. All that detail is in the PNR and that PNR information is provided by the airlines.

For me recent entries have been JFK, EWR, YOW (LGA), JFK, YYZ (LGA), BDA (BOS), and then a few more JFK. I've also entered at YUL (EWR), ATL, IAH, MCO, LAX and SFO that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is true. I have mine.
Cool. Can you tell me the steps on where to write to request such info? It'd be interesting to see all of my past travel records ever since I was a newborn! OTOH, there's a side of me that says whoa there goes my privacy!
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Usually we fly straight to the US via YYC. Once only I remember it was YYZ, as it was odd flying out to MIA.

Coming back to Canada is a different story.. usually land YYC, but a few times thru YVR.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 7:04 am

Cool. Can you tell me the steps on where to write to request such info? It'd be interesting to see all of my past travel records ever since I was a newborn! OTOH, there's a side of me that says whoa there goes my privacy!
Your privacy is long gone. You just didn't know it yet.

Start here: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...d-states,-foia.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:03 am

Usually out of JFK since I live in New York but I'll enter based on the least expensive airfare (which often is JFK). I used to do more out of EWR but CO isn't my airline of choice of anymore.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Well Travelled

This is a rather Curious question indeed.....depending on the extent of your travel...the points of entry to one's Country will vary a fair bit.
Nothing unusual about it.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:16 pm

What is the point for the CBP to even record travels of US citizens? Is it to keep an eye of socalled "terrorists"?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:23 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Executrip
This is a rather Curious question indeed.....depending on the extent of your travel...the points of entry to one's Country will vary a fair bit.
Nothing unusual about it.
I think it depends as much on whether one lives close to a major international airport. For example, SFO is a local airport for me. I've re-entered the US 25 times in the past few years, having visited over a dozen countries, and in all but one case my port of entry has been SFO. I'd expect to see similar from a lot of people living close to other major international hubs, such as LAX, ORD, and JFK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.