Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Need help – adding more pages to US Passport

Need help – adding more pages to US Passport

Old Jan 25, 2011, 5:53 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
I don't see why you couldn't renew early.

Alternatively you can file for a lost or stolen passport. If they ask how you lost it, tell them you are a drug mule and had it stolen last time you were in Columbia. This will save you the $82 or $110 required for a new passport.
So there is no cost to replace a lost passport??
Old Jan 25, 2011, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by dlwalt
So there is no cost to replace a lost passport??
Ignore that advice.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 9:15 am
Fairmont Contributor Badge

It was dry humor. If you say something like that, you wont get any passport.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Can I renew my passport early (expires Nov 13) rather than get the extra pages? Seems like a much better financial deal.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 11:40 am

Can I renew my passport early (expires Nov 13) rather than get the extra pages? Seems like a much better financial deal.
Yes, you can renew it at any time.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 7:06 pm

So i am stuck with a dilemma. I travel so much that i haven't had the time to be in the country long enough to mail mine to either get a new one or get pages added. Mine expires in 2015.

I am planning a trip to Carnival in Brazil leaving March 4th. I know i need a visa for brazil, but i only have about 3/4 of a page left (i.e. 3 squares out of the 4)

What would be the best way for me to go about the situation without having to sacrifice this trip

EDIT: Does page 24 count as a page that can be used as a possible visa stamp page for brazil consulate?

Last edited by WrLdTrvLnIndian; Jan 31, 2011 at 7:34 pm
Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is maybe the 100th thread on this subject on FT, I had not noticed this one before, so a few comments:

UMassCanuck07, was 100 percent categorically wrong and if informed as such by the Embassy in Guatemala, or whoever, they lied. The DoS has a GUIDANCE published that says that they should not issue more than three extra sets of pages, however this is only a guidance, and with 8 extra sets in my current passport, and having seen the regulations (and posted them on FT before verbatim from the DoS handbook) I state this categorically and definitively. Some missions will outright lie about this, however if one is firm, one will get extra books added (my favorite was where some young punk DoS worker bee told me, "but if you travel with a passport this thick, you'll often have problems travelling!". My answer was, "I've used this passport on average every three days for the last xx years, including twice this week already, other than annual leave, how often do YOU travel internationally? What possible experience or example could you possibly give me about this matter?" he shut up, had his superior come over, and after a 30 second chat about the fact that I was travelling the next day and that unless they wanted to pay for the "new" passport that they were insisting that I have and get it to me in about 26 hours, issued my pages immediately!

If your passport is full or almost full you can renew it at anytime. Any six month "rule" as stated above is simply NOT correct.

Yes, as has been stated many times on other threads, since some time last year they do now charge $82 for adding pages, as stated above, you can however ask for two books at a time.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Thumbs up add US passport pages

Originally Posted by kebosabi
... Secondly, how exactly are the extra pages added to an existing passport? Do they actually re-stitch extra pages after page 24 and are the numbered as pages 25~48? Also, despite my passport has an issue date of January 2007, they gave me the old type passport without the IC chip. Will this affect anyway in the passport pages that I am issued?
First, thanks to all who've long ago answered not just this but the dozens of questions above. A huge thanks which saved my re-asking a duplicate question .

Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Even if going in person to a consulate or embassy to get the extra pages, I assume you need to fill out the form, DS-4085?...
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I've had to fill out a form whenever I got pages added at a consulate.
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, that is the form. And you do need it filled out, even in person.
Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Fill out the form, required
Originally Posted by bakpaktrvl
... if I send it to PHIL- I have to pay and if I do it at overseas, its FREE ?
That's so helpful to know & answered my question:
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
Since the official How to Add Extra Pages to Your U.S. Passport doesn't mention the aforementioned service for free at overseas (and domestic?) consulates, I ask whether this service is still available at overseas consulates.
I'll renew mine as I've 2.5yrs left but expect 6 visas to be added + a dozen stamps.

Originally Posted by sbm12
Any experiences at the NYC agency for getting extra pages? I've booked an appointment for the morning of my flight (8:30am appointment, 12:50am flight) so I should have enough time, but I'm curious if anyone knows if they can process it immediately or if I'll have to return later that same day to pick up the passport.
I'll be in Delhi, India next week but I'll take my chances with the NYC agency. Any advice on navigating this agency, likely incredibly busy thus I'll be extra-efficient, is appreciated.

Related:
Old Feb 10, 2011, 12:19 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Note that with the new fees, it's no longer free to add pages at a US embassy/consulate overseas.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, as been noted several times.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:51 am

Programs: *G and whatever else I can match to....
Originally Posted by hfly
Yes, as been noted several times.
I know that, but it seemed the previous poster did not:

Originally Posted by bakpaktrvl
... if I send it to PHIL- I have to pay and if I do it at overseas, its FREE ?
Originally Posted by Richard Chen
That's so helpful to know
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
FYI I went to the NY Passport office at Houston and Hudson without an appointment and had no issues being seen. Actually, at no point in time did they ever ask for a confirmation number- all they cared about was proof of travel within 2 weeks.

I went in at 8am, was out by 9am and then was able to pick my passport with extra pages by noon. Incredibly efficient, although I had to pay an extra $60 expedite fee, so total cost was $142. Still much cheaper than using an agency.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 3:32 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by thepointsguy
FYI I went to the NY Passport office at Houston and Hudson without an appointment and had no issues being seen. Actually, at no point in time did they ever ask for a confirmation number- all they cared about was proof of travel within 2 weeks.

I went in at 8am, was out by 9am and then was able to pick my passport with extra pages by noon. Incredibly efficient, although I had to pay an extra $60 expedite fee, so total cost was $142. Still much cheaper than using an agency.
@ that price it might be valuable to just order a brand new passport when you are down to your last 4 pages.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.