FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   USA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa-738/)
-   -   Cuban cigars into USA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/671229-cuban-cigars-into-usa.html)

aceman Mar 14, 2007 5:22 pm

Cuban cigars into USA?

Might be a dumb question, but what exactly is the deal with bringing cuban cigars into the USA?

I managed to find this quote:

Tobacco Products

You may include in your personal exemption not more than 200 cigarettes ( one carton) or 50 cigars or two kilograms (4.4 lbs.) of smoking tobacco, or proportionate amounts of each. An additional 100 cigars may be brought in under your gift exemption.

Cigars of Cuban origin are generally prohibited entry, even for personal use. Please check with the Customs attaché at the American Embassy if you have any questions on this subject.
(Bolding mine)

All be it from the US Embassy in Uruguay Customs site.

So what the heck do they mean by generally?

And do they just get confiscated or do I get locked up and/or fined if box should happen to have fallen into my bag?

obscure2k Mar 14, 2007 6:32 pm

My husband was given a gift of a box of Cuban cigars by a friend.(captain of a ship we had sailed from Mombasa to Seychelles). We had been traveling from the Seychelles and had been in transit nearly 24 hours. Had to connect in DFW for our flight to LAX. Arrived at DFW (Xmas eve), customs guy searched our bags, came up with the box of cigars...pulled over a trash can and systematically destroyed each cigar and threw them in the trash. It wasn't pretty. Husband explained that they were a gift; no dice. :td:

rufflesinc Mar 14, 2007 6:37 pm

that is why you should fly into ORD. they dont have xray scans or anything at customs. you just get waved through if you check "no" to everything on the form. you could bring back a cow!

Pat H Mar 14, 2007 7:01 pm

If you go to Cuba legally from the US, you can bring back up to $100 of Cuban items, including cigars.

MIKESILV Mar 14, 2007 7:06 pm

The " generally" means that under some circumstances you are allowed to bring Cuban cigars back into the US.

For example if you visit Cuba on 'legitimate business' say as a member of a sports team or another example would be a University cultural exchange and can prove that the cigars were actually bought in Cuba you will be allowed to bring them back.

Cuban cigars bought in any other country or provided by any other source are not allowed.

mike

myfrogger Mar 14, 2007 7:08 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba_embargo

timothyp_787 Mar 14, 2007 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 7404081)
pulled over a trash can and systematically destroyed each cigar and threw them in the trash. It wasn't pretty. Husband explained that they were a gift; no dice. :td:

Just out of curiosity, how big was the box, and what prompted the search? Friends of mine have smuggled in Cuban cigars at times, and it usually involves stuffing them in boots/shirts/socks, etc. None of them ever had a problem. How'd it happen?

obscure2k Mar 14, 2007 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by timothyp_787 (Post 7404342)
Just out of curiosity, how big was the box, and what prompted the search? Friends of mine have smuggled in Cuban cigars at times, and it usually involves stuffing them in boots/shirts/socks, etc. None of them ever had a problem. How'd it happen?

No idea what prompted the search. We had been out of the country for about 3 weeks. Had been on safari in Africa and sailed from Mombasa to Mahe. Our flt itinerary was SEZ/LGW/DFW/LAX. We were not "smuggling" anything. In fact, we declared everything, including artwork and furniture from Africa.
The box was just a cigar box. Have no idea why we were selected for baggage search. BTW, it isn't that my husband was about to take an undue risk for bringing in his gift of Cuban cigars. He is perfectly happy smoking Dominicans.

BDLORD Mar 14, 2007 7:34 pm

Not my choice of words

It's called trading with the enemy.
http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforce...l/eo/12854.pdf
http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforce...ba/ccigar2.pdf

davem4 Mar 14, 2007 8:31 pm

In the new millennium, the US Dept. of Justice modified its original embargo on Cuban products to allow importation of a limited amount of Cuban cigars when returning from a licensed trip to Cuba. Effective 2007, however, the United States has once again made it illegal for US nationals to purchase or consume Cuban cigars, in Cuba, or elsewhere, whether licensed or not.
I'm guessing its no go :-/

pinniped Mar 14, 2007 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k (Post 7404435)
He is perfectly happy smoking Dominicans.

I'm certainly not an expert - I smoke maybe a cigar per month these days - but I honestly can't tell the difference between a good Cuban and a good Dominican. Is it possible that Cubans are in demand more because they are contraband than because they are really superior? Aren't a lot of Dominican growers actually Cubans who fled - with their seeds - in 1959?

aceman Mar 14, 2007 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by BDLORD (Post 7404503)

From the second document.

Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third
Countries
The question is often asked whether United States citizens
or permanent resident aliens of the United States
may
legally purchase Cuban origin goods, including tobacco and
alcohol products, in a third country for personal use
outside the United States. The answer is no. The
Regulations prohibit persons subject to the jurisdiction of
the United States
from purchasing, transporting, importing,
or otherwise dealing in or engaging in any transactions
with respect to any merchandise outside the United States
if such merchandise (1) is of Cuban origin; or (2) is or
has been located in or transported from or through Cuba; or
(3) is made or derived in whole or in part of any article
which is the growth, produce or manufacture of Cuba. Thus,
in the case of cigars, the prohibition extends to cigars
manufactured in Cuba and sold in a third country and to
cigars manufactured in a third country from tobacco grown
in Cuba.
Again, bolding mine.

Doesnt really cover foreigners though?

lance6 Mar 14, 2007 11:59 pm

I'm not a cigar expert, but I've noticed the Cuban cigars I've enjoyed went down much smoother than those form other countries. Don't know why.

When I was in Central America, I smoked as many as I could, and even managed to sneak in a few back to my brother.

According to aceman's quote, I broke the law. Twice. Damn.

aceman Mar 15, 2007 3:57 am

Originally Posted by lance6 (Post 7405765)
I'm not a cigar expert, but I've noticed the Cuban cigars I've enjoyed went down much smoother than those form other countries. Don't know why.

When I was in Central America, I smoked as many as I could, and even managed to sneak in a few back to my brother.

According to aceman's quote, I broke the law. Twice. Damn.

Actually re-reading the quote, you broke the law many times, since it appears you can't even buy them to smoke OUTSIDE the states. Would you like some personal liberty encroachment to go with that Cohiba sir?

svenskaflicka Mar 15, 2007 5:25 am

Let's just say that I know someone who gets them all the time. This person says they are the smoothest cigar they have ever smoked. This person considers himself an afficianado.