Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Going Cross Country in US, where should I stop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 1:51 am
Original Poster

So I am driving from Bozeman MT to Richmond VA.

Where should i stop? I am not American so i don't really know of places which are an absolute must for me to see.

I know Mt Rushmore is a good place to go. Anywhere else?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:35 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Well, since you are near Yellowstone I presume you'll be there, right? And the Grand Tetons right next door are stunning. Some people like Devils Tower which seems to be along your route. Chicago is a great city if you can make the slight detour and have the time. When you get to Virginia you can visit Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson. It's a lot of driving though, personally I'd fly
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:53 am

Originally Posted by federernadal
So I am driving from @:-)MT to Richmond VA.

Where should i stop? I am not American so i don't really know of places which are an absolute must for me to see.

I know Mt Rushmore is a good place to go. Anywhere else?
My humble suggestions:

It adds about 80 miles to your trip but I think Kansas City is a worthwhile place to stop just for their BBQ. I recommend the following BBQ restaurants in this order: Arthur Bryants (original location 1727 Brooklyn Avenue. Kansas City, MO), Oklahoma Joes (Original location 3002 West 47th Avenue), Jack Stack (9520 Metcalf Avenue), ZardaQ, and Gates. As far as sights to see, the Shawnee Mission in Shawnee Mission is kind of interesting if you're into Wild West Frontier style stuff.

If you leave Kansas City in the morning, in about two hours you should hit Columbia, Missouri. There is a great coffee shop downtown called Coffee Zone (11 North 9th Street) and if you are there around breakfast time, they have a great omelet they make with parsley; I think it is called the Arabian breakfast or something. If you pass through Columbia around lunch time, Shakespeare's pizza (try their whole wheat crust) or Flat Branch are worthy stops.

St. Louis has the arch and riverboat dinner cruises and that's about it really.

If you enter Virginia on Interstate 64, definitely stop in Lexington, VA and eat at The Southern Inn (37 South Main Street). The have the best burger I have ever had anywhere and their desserts are amazing. Lexington has Virginia Military Institute (VMI) which is a must see if you are interested in Civil War history. VMI is also home to the Marshall museum which is a must see if you're interested in post-WWII European reconstruction. Oh, also in Lexington is Washington & Lee University and Confederate General Robert E. Lee is buried there.

Continuing on Interstate 64, when you get to Charlottesville, I feel that Thomas Jefferson's Monticello is worth a visit.

Since you will be so close (2 hours from C-ville and Richmond), Washington, DC should be on your list as well.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depends how much time you have.

I'd say that Yellowstone and the badlands are must-sees. Mt. Rushmore is very underwhelming; far more impressive is the Crazy Horse monument several miles down the road.

If you have time, I'd strongly recommend 2-3 days in Chicago. I would suggest taking the northern route from Bozeman (I-90), which will take you through the badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and Crazy Horse, and to Chicago. It's more interesting than the southern route through Kansas City, St. Louis, and other un-noteworthy places.

If you really want a taste of Americana, stay off the interstates as much as possible. It will be a much longer drive, though.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Assuming you're doing this now (and not in January!), I'd recommend the northern route. Mt. Rushmore and the Badlands are totally worth it since you're driving right through there. Madison's a good place for a short stop. Chicago's worth a couple days if you have time. Once you're east of Chicago you have a lot of choices for routes...especially if you're open to leaving the Interstates.

I've driven Kansas City to Washington DC and back a couple times. I've never liked I-70 at all...it's a beat-up old highway, heavily clogged with trucks, and full of speed traps across Ohio and Indiana. As you're driving, you're either thinking "they should really repair this highway" or you're sitting in a construction delay because they are repairing it!

As much as I think coming south for some burnt ends at LC's could be fun, if you're only doing this once...stay north. Better roads, less traffic, and I can't imagine the cops in South Dakota are quite as thick as they are in Ohio.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I've driven Kansas City to Washington DC and back a couple times. I've never liked I-70 at all...it's a beat-up old highway, heavily clogged with trucks, and full of speed traps across Ohio and Indiana. As you're driving, you're either thinking "they should really repair this highway" or you're sitting in a construction delay because they are repairing it!

As much as I think coming south for some burnt ends at LC's could be fun, if you're only doing this once...stay north. Better roads, less traffic, and I can't imagine the cops in South Dakota are quite as thick as they are in Ohio.
You can take 64 from St. Louis and avoid Ohio altogether and drive though Kentucky which is a much prettier drive. Of course, that means driving through West Virginia but the speed limit is 70 and the mountains nice to look at.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by sparkchaser
I recommend the following BBQ restaurants in this order: Arthur Bryants (original location 1727 Brooklyn Avenue. Kansas City, MO), Oklahoma Joes (Original location 3002 West 47th Avenue), Jack Stack (9520 Metcalf Avenue), ZardaQ, and Gates.
+1

Just ate at Jack Stack's on the plaza and thought it was great. Any difference in the two locations? Keep meaning to hit Arthur Bryant's but it just never seems to work out.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
C'mon guys, advising someone to drive that far out of their way and then not plow through a burnt ends platter at LC's out on Blue Parkway is simply wrong...

I mean, LC's has real street cred: the city closes it down for health violations about once a year. Then they temporarily comply...get rid of the rats or whatever the city was so queasy about...and reopen. Can your BBQ joint claim make that claim?

They're the best burnt ends on the planet. (Maybe because of the rats...?)
Old Apr 10, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
From Bozeman, MT to Richmond, VA, you can drive and stop whenever you see a place. Everybody's interests are different.

Maybe Mount Rushmore. Lewis and Clark explored from St. Louis-Sioux Falls, IA-Livingstone, MT-Oregon and there are many historical markers. Each marker may take 1 minute to read. Some are by the highway. Consider stopping if you see one. You might stop by Chicago. Google some cities along the way and see if anything interests you. Maybe museums?
Old Apr 10, 2012, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Haha well i turned vegetarian a few years ago.

Also, Im not flying because Ive got to go to there for about 12 weeks. Last year I flew and it was difficult without a car (that seems to be the trend in most of the US, isnt it?), so this year Ill just drive.

My interests aren't really that specific. Im not much of a museum kind of guy, but I really want to see places which people might go like, "You drove there and didnt see it???".

Big city stuff is definitely worth seeing but I think the driving might be difficult with all those crazy one-ways, etc etc.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: *G
im partial to salt lake city and denver, and it wont be a detour considering your route
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by lancebanyon
+1

Just ate at Jack Stack's on the plaza and thought it was great. Any difference in the two locations? Keep meaning to hit Arthur Bryant's but it just never seems to work out.
The original locations have more character. You walk into the original AB's and you can feel the history there. And as far as Oklahoma Joes goes, the original location in the gas station is just something you have to experience.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
C'mon guys, advising someone to drive that far out of their way and then not plow through a burnt ends platter at LC's out on Blue Parkway is simply wrong...

I mean, LC's has real street cred: the city closes it down for health violations about once a year. Then they temporarily comply...get rid of the rats or whatever the city was so queasy about...and reopen. Can your BBQ joint claim make that claim?

They're the best burnt ends on the planet. (Maybe because of the rats...?)
I have never eaten at LC's. At last I don't think so. The next time I am in KC I will definitely check it out.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
im partial to salt lake city and denver, and it wont be a detour considering your route
I would advise you to look at a map.

I would not advise anyone to willingly spend time in Salt Lake City. Salt Lake Booooooorrrrrring is more like it.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Million Miler
Richmond, VA is somewhat south, so I would head south first. Check out Colorado, New Mexico, and even Arizona. Plenty of sights to see there -- the Rockies, desert, etc. Interesting cities/towns such as Sedona, Santa Fe, etc. True you will be a bit too far south, but worth it. Then head east. You can end up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, taking you near Charlottesville, VA. A different path is coming up the eastern coast, visiting Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC.

New Orleans is obviously worth visiting, though it will take you further south yet out of your way.

Salt Lake City: If you glimpse at the lake itself, it is worth 5-10 minutes. I found Temple Square (home of the Mormons) to be worth a visit for a couple of hours but other than that I could find nothing to do in SLC, like nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.