Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

10,000 bags/day lost: USA Today

Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC Elite/Star Alliance Gold

As I look at the front page of the USA Today outside my hotel room door, I couldn't miss the headline on the bottom of the front page: the airlines lose 10,000 bags/day in the US. From worst to best:

USAirways (worst)
Delta
America
NWA
America West
United
Southwest
CO ('best', or just where the list ended)

-these stats are based on lost bag reports/1000 pax. For NWA, this is an increase of 15.2% from 2004. USAirways increased 80.5% from 2004.

Interesting.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:57 am

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by JMB_YEG

- USAirways increased 80.5% from 2004.

Interesting.
This must be influenced by the PHL disaster of last christmas. I was at PHL that day and I have never seen anything like that before and hope to never see something like that again.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:46 am

Programs: CO Platinum HHonors Diamond Avis President's Club
I'm not surprised by this at all after 1) having visited the baggage handling facility at IAH during the CO DO (wow!) and 2) having frequented PHL, which eats checked bags the way i plough through NW FC chocolate cake.

It's also not surprising that UA is as good as they are relative to the others since they're also modernizing their baggage handling systems, it seems.

But then again, I have to check a bag like once a year, so this is all purely academic for me.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:54 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
my bag was lost by continental at IAH in december

I'm only a little bitter and feel only a little singled out to know I'm the only one. :-)

Originally Posted by seoulmanjr
I'm not surprised by this at all after 1) having visited the baggage handling facility at IAH during the CO DO (wow!) and 2) having frequented PHL, which eats checked bags the way i plough through NW FC chocolate cake.

It's also not surprising that UA is as good as they are relative to the others since they're also modernizing their baggage handling systems, it seems.

But then again, I have to check a bag like once a year, so this is all purely academic for me.

peace,
~Ben~
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)

-these stats are based on lost bag reports/1000 pax. For NWA, this is an increase of 15.2% from 2004. USAirways increased 80.5% from 2004.

Interesting.
The other way to look at is this 995 out of 1000 bags (i.e. 99.5%) checked on NW don't get lost !

What the article doesn't discuss is how "long" these bags were lost, or why they were lost i.e. how many of them missed connecting flights, how many of them were lost due to passengers getting to the airport just before their flight or how many of them were eventually delivered and how long *that* took.

ad nauseum

Bob H
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: NW Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I have flown 4 times this year and achieved 100% success in having lost baggage on every flight. The first was for a 12 day cruise, the bags finally catching up with us after 10days of the cruise. A mechanical delay caused us to have to change planes and we were put on Alaska and AA. The bags went into never never land on the transfer from Alaska to AA
Old Feb 17, 2006, 11:49 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
This must be influenced by the PHL disaster of last christmas. I was at PHL that day and I have never seen anything like that before and hope to never see something like that again.
I'll look for the pics of DTW after the snow storm a few years back (the one where people got stuck on the tarmac for 8 hours). Bags 20 deep. Bags were being delivered to homes in SE MI for days.

Steve B.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by BobH
The other way to look at is this 995 out of 1000 bags (i.e. 99.5%) checked on NW don't get lost !

What the article doesn't discuss is how "long" these bags were lost, or why they were lost i.e. how many of them missed connecting flights, how many of them were lost due to passengers getting to the airport just before their flight or how many of them were eventually delivered and how long *that* took.

ad nauseum

Bob H
Yeah, it seems that it's 10,000 claims filed per day, though in reality is it really "lost" by strict definition of the word? Probably not.

The only time I ever had to file a claim for mishandled bags was on a connecting flight to OAK that was cancelled, and I ended up going to SFO instead. Of the four (4) bags we had, 3 went to SFO, and 1 to OAK.

In most other circumstances, I've actually been impressed with the bag handling. Late, now 10-minute connections in LAX, where bags made it; bags making misconnected flights including reroutes, and so on.
Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Titanium
I'd say the real number of lost bags are much less. A bag is considered lost if it does not arrive on the final flight with the passenger. Think of how many lost bags out of 10000 are because of tight connections that get too tight with a slight delay. Passengers might make the flight but bags wont.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
With those statistics, I should have a lost bag every 2 years. Nope...

Although NW has "lost" a bag of mine once. After it didn't appear on the turnstile, I drew myself up with indignation, and went to the baggage claim room.

She just pointed to the side. My bag had arrived on the flight prior. (sound of deflation)

All the best, James
Old Feb 18, 2006, 7:52 pm

Programs: NFY, AA EXP, Marriott TE
BTW, a recent article in Aviation Week points out how the barcode on the bag tag only tells what the destination and routing should be. Most airlines have no tracking function whatsoever.

It's not like shipping a package on FedEx or UPS, where they can tell you where your package is every step of the way.

Because the bag isn't individually tracked, all most airlines know, is that the bag must be lost, because you're here royally pi$$ed off.

All the best, James
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fdog
BTW, a recent article in Aviation Week points out how the barcode on the bag tag only tells what the destination and routing should be. Most airlines have no tracking function whatsoever.

It's not like shipping a package on FedEx or UPS, where they can tell you where your package is every step of the way.
They're clearly scanning the bags during the connection, so they have the data. I think it's just that they're not putting that data into a system accessible by customers or agents. It's probably one of those cost-benefit things at getting the data propagated into a centralized database. After all, the lost bag is by far the exception.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
This apparently is a U.S. statistic. If they had included Amsterdam, the figures would have surely octupled.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 9:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Quick item on the bar codes - when I got to GEG last Sun my bag came out and the tag was missing. When I checked in for my return the counter agents were stapling them. They told me that the glue on the tags is not holding up well in the cold.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 10:06 pm

Programs: NWA GE, Greyhound Plat++
I wonder if means lost and found later or lost forever. I remember the first 5 flights I took with UA, 3 were lost for several days, 1 lost forever and yay one actually made it. I switched airlines after that.

As I look at the front page of the USA Today outside my hotel room door, I couldn't miss the headline on the bottom of the front page: the airlines lose 10,000 bags/day in the US. From worst to best:

USAirways (worst)
Delta
America
NWA
America West
United
Southwest
CO ('best', or just where the list ended)

Interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.