Wiki Posts
Search

Which National Park next? Or Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Which National Park next? Or Hawaii?

Hi

From the UK and a big fan of the National Parks in the US. I've got 2 weeks to take in either September or October this year.

Have done the following so far.
Yosemite,
Utah parks, Boneville SF, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley
Seattle, Oregon, Portland down route 1 through SF and to LA + Crater Lake.
Badlands, Devils Tower, Yellowstone and Glacier Park.

Looks like I've done most of the main ones apart from Smokey Mountains NP. I know this is popular but is it in the same league as above?

I like to be away from the crows and tourist traps and built up areas. Enjoy the scenery and wildlife and vistas. Usually travel around 1300 miles on my 2 week road trip so like to drive and see places. Not sure if SM is all in one place and too busy?

Looks like McAfee Knob isn't too far and could be combined with other areas.

The only other option I am considering is to visit Hawaii instead?

thanks

William.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:05 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Do both in one trip. Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park on the Big island of Hawai'i. I think it's one of the most interesting. Closest to ITO, but more flights to KOA.

And welcome to FT.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
You can easily combine the Smokies with the Blue Ridge Parkway. In fact the southern terminus of the BRP is at the entrance to the Smokies. October is the best time of year to see the BRP because that's when the fall foliage is at its best. And if you like driving thru beautiful scenery, you can drive all the way from the Smokies, along the BRP for 469 miles, and then thru Shenandoah National Park along Skyline Drive for another 105 miles. With two weeks, you can take the time to really enjoy the drives and take lots of hiking jaunts.
October will be a busy month for driving that route (which ever direction you go), but there are innumerable side trips and hikes you can take to get out in nature.
Also, there are literally hundreds of waterfalls in this region.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:19 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
How early in September could you travel? If you could manage the first of the month, consider visiting Denali National Park in Alaska followed by a flight to Hawaii from Anchorage. In late August and early September the autumn color in Denali will knock your eyeballs out, and there's still usually a fair amount of wildlife to be seen inside the park. Everything closes down by mid-September, but until then it can be terrific. You could also visit Kenai Fjords National Park what you reach by boat from Seward.

There are daily flights from Anchorage to Honolulu or you can change planes in Seattle and get to any of the other Islands. I would choose the Big Island of Hawaii as it presents great variety and is also a fine place for short driving vacations.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Everything
Consider one of the National Parks in Canada, where they are celebrating 150 years since confederation by offering free admission to their national parks. You have to apply for the free park pass online (www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/parksb2c) and wait for it to arrive by mail. If this interests you, apply for pass quickly because there's a back log on orders.

We're using our pass to spend time at Waterton National Park, during a trip to Glacier National Park in the US. They are adjacent to each other across the border. There are many fantastic Canadian parks, like the necklace of parks that run down the Canadian Rocky Mountains (Banff, Yoho, Kootenay, and Jasper National Parks. Next year all these parks will have a daily fee but 2017 is your window of opportunity to visit a bunch for free.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by cirrusuk
Hi

From the UK and a big fan of the National Parks in the US. I've got 2 weeks to take in either September or October this year.

Have done the following so far.
Yosemite,
Utah parks, Boneville SF, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley
Seattle, Oregon, Portland down route 1 through SF and to LA + Crater Lake.
Badlands, Devils Tower, Yellowstone and Glacier Park.

Looks like I've done most of the main ones apart from Smokey Mountains NP. I know this is popular but is it in the same league as above?

I like to be away from the crows and tourist traps and built up areas. Enjoy the scenery and wildlife and vistas. Usually travel around 1300 miles on my 2 week road trip so like to drive and see places. Not sure if SM is all in one place and too busy?

Looks like McAfee Knob isn't too far and could be combined with other areas.

The only other option I am considering is to visit Hawaii instead?

thanks

William.
For you, I would recommend Great Basin NP in Nevada and Big Bend NP in Texas for great locations "off the beaten track".
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:28 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by Reindeerflame
For you, I would recommend Great Basin NP in Nevada and Big Bend NP in Texas for great locations "off the beaten track".
+1 for Big Bend. It's VERY off the beaten track. I was there, canoeing and backcountry camping for 3 weeks several years ago. It's an amazing place.
If you don't camp, lodging may be an issue.

Voyageurs NP / Boundary Waters wilderness area is on my bucket list. You will need to be willing to spend a substantial amount of time in a canoe to enjoy them.

In general, all of the National Parks are wonderful. I wouldn't say that the league would be different, It's more that they are playing different games. There is a reason that all of those areas were preserved.
Old Jul 2, 2017, 6:40 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I would recommend Alaska or Hawaii.... some great parks.... Volcano National Park on the Big Island is still one of my best places to visit... especially when you combine it with stargazing on Mauna Kea!
Old Jul 2, 2017, 9:08 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by AMflier
+1 for Big Bend. It's VERY off the beaten track. I was there, canoeing and backcountry camping for 3 weeks several years ago. It's an amazing place.
If you don't camp, lodging may be an issue.

Big Bend is nice and less crowded.

If you do decide on the continental option, you could fly non-stop into Houston/Austin/Dallas-Fort Worth non-stop from London (or Manchester to Houston) then drive via San Antonio seeing the San Antonio Missions National Historic park (much more than the Alamo) then drive to Big Bend NP, up to Guadalupe Mtns NP (which passes Fort Davis NHS), up to Carlsbad Caverns NP, then over to Saguaro NP by way of White Sands NM and fly out of Phoenix or head of to Calif. and hit Joshua Tree flying back from SoCal. Just one of many, many options.

Last edited by FlyingHoustonian; Jul 2, 2017 at 10:05 pm
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can also combine a week in colorado parks with a week in hawaii as united has convenient nonstops from denver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.