Multi-resort ski passes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multi-resort ski passes!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Given the Epic Season Pass includes some European skiing too, it's an even better deal for those of us who do hit up US and European ski resorts in the same season. But to use the pass in Switzerland, it requires buying into the resort lodging which may or may not undermine the value proposition.
When the Swiss gawk at your prices...

Thanks for that. Amazed to see the European availability - though you're right that the prescribed lodging does erode some of the benefit, and I ski Arlberg way more than 3 days a season!

I would love to see something similar in Europe for the bigger resorts. The season passes tend to be both expensive and regionalised - need to hit 20+ ski days to make sense vs. the walk-up, but crucially if it's cloudy in Davos it is probably still cloudy the next valley over, whilst it might be a bluebird day in Zermatt. I pay for the flexibility - white stuff problems.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
When the Swiss gawk at your prices...

Thanks for that. Amazed to see the European availability - though you're right that the prescribed lodging does erode some of the benefit, and I ski Arlberg way more than 3 days a season!

I would love to see something similar in Europe for the bigger resorts. The season passes tend to be both expensive and regionalised - need to hit 20+ ski days to make sense vs. the walk-up, but crucially if it's cloudy in Davos it is probably still cloudy the next valley over, whilst it might be a bluebird day in Zermatt. I pay for the flexibility - white stuff problems.
The Skistar season pass for Scandinavia is ok value for me since they own so much of the skiing in that region, but I'd rather have an Epic Season pass for use in the US, Canada and various parts of the "Old World" to get far more options based on where the snow is good and where I can use points/loyalty program awards to cover my lodging.

If you want to gawk at prices, you should see my bills for ski lessons in Colorado and Utah compared to my bills for ski lessons in Europe. Even Norway and Switzerland are a ski lesson bargain compared to prices at the resorts I hit up in the US.

I'm surprised that European resorts don't try to grab more East Coast American ski business, especially now that winter/spring TATL economy class fares are so reasonable compared to flying within the US to go from the East Coast to ASE/EGE/SLC or even DEN.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 29, 2017 at 5:56 am
Old Apr 30, 2017, 2:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Former EPIC pass holder chiming in.

It's an amazing value when I know I'll have a few weeks to be in DEN/SLC. I'm VERY excited about Stowe being added as I can loop to BUR for very cheap on B6 (under 5,000 miles per leg in some cases). That may pull the trigger for me this season.
Even just 8 days at Vail pays for itself with the extortionate window pricing.

Mountain Collective is too restrictive for my tastes. I love all those mountains (J Hole and the Bird are my favorite spots) but 2 days + a VERY restrictive single-day 50% discount system isn't money well spent in my opinion. Also they have no East Coast mountains aside from Sugarbush which isn't my favorite spot.

The MAX pass looks interesting but most of the local (to me in NYC, so Bellayre, Gore, Windham) mountains are free for me due to working in that industry for a few years. I'd consider it if I knew I was going to be up in Maine/NH more. If you've got a car it's an AMAZING value.

Great to see my fellow snowhounds out and about. This season was one for the record books (and is still going!)
The Mountain Collective looks ok to me. I'd probably use it for something like 3 days at Aspen/Snowmass, 2 days at Valle Nevado, 2 days at Chamonix and a few other days here and there. For $429 not bad.

Here was a review of various passes, but this is from 2016:

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.usato...tory/83357706/

The pass benefits don't all remain the same from year to year. So don't count on that review as being fully applicable still. Not only are prices different, but included resorts are also different.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:29 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
For those of you in New England and the Mid Atlantic regions there is the Peak Pass which gives you access to all of the Peak resorts.

Because we spend about half of our time skiing the East and only went west for one week a year, none of those passes really worked for us. Now that Sugarbush has joined the Mountain Collective (Thanks Win), the economics works out. We're planning on a Ski Better Week at Taos and a couple of holiday weekends at the 'Bush.

Epic is out for us. Our recent trips to Vail's properties, Park City and Breckenridge left us wanting.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by AMflier
For those of you in New England and the Mid Atlantic regions there is the Peak Pass which gives you access to all of the Peak resorts.
That's Attitash, Wildcat and Crotched in NH. Jack Frost and Big Boulder in PA. Mt. Snow in Vt. and Hunter in NY.

That pass is quite good for BOS dwellers. Attitash and Wildcat are two of my favorite NE resorts. North Conway is the perfect New England ski town IMHO. Crotched used to be famous for night skiing til 3 AM on weekends.

Unfortunately Hunter is a singularly awful place on weekends. It's a similar distance from Manhattan as Windham or Belleyare but has a significantly greater helping of NYC attitude. The runs are even named after NYC streets.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
That's Attitash, Wildcat and Crotched in NH. Jack Frost and Big Boulder in PA. Mt. Snow in Vt. and Hunter in NY.

That pass is quite good for BOS dwellers. Attitash and Wildcat are two of my favorite NE resorts. North Conway is the perfect New England ski town IMHO. Crotched used to be famous for night skiing til 3 AM on weekends.

Unfortunately Hunter is a singularly awful place on weekends. It's a similar distance from Manhattan as Windham or Belleyare but has a significantly greater helping of NYC attitude. The runs are even named after NYC streets.
Hunter is acceptable on Tuesday and Wednesday. Otherwise it's overrun with Jerry's.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:18 am
Suspended

It will be interesting to see how aggressive Intrawest gets with ski passes, after the company goes private (assuming the current deal closes).
Old May 19, 2017, 6:20 pm

There's also the powder alliance for those based on the west coast near one of the partner resorts. This one seems a little different since it's a benefit for top-tier passholders at each of the resorts and allows for 3 days at each of the other partner resorts. Currently at Stevens Pass a Premium Pass is $649 for new members. One of my friends did this for a season while on a long road-trip and seemed to like it.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by steveman518
There's also the powder alliance for those based on the west coast near one of the partner resorts. This one seems a little different since it's a benefit for top-tier passholders at each of the resorts and allows for 3 days at each of the other partner resorts. Currently at Stevens Pass a Premium Pass is $649 for new members. One of my friends did this for a season while on a long road-trip and seemed to like it.
Indeed, that one includes both Timberline and Skibowl outside PDX. If I spent more time at home, that would have been quite attractive.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:21 pm

The people over at liftblog produced a spreadsheet saying which area is on which pass for 2018-2019. You can find it here

The numbers represent the number of lifts at the area.

Last edited by AMflier; May 25, 2017 at 2:26 pm Reason: Fixed link
Old May 30, 2017, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AMflier
The people over at liftblog produced a spreadsheet saying which area is on which pass for 2018-2019. You can find it here

The numbers represent the number of lifts at the area.
That's a great link. Thanks. Will follow that and see how it develops. I suppose it's too much to hope for that the newly combined ASC/Intrawest just continues to participate in the MAX pass with the combined property inventory.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:50 am

That's a terrific link. I didn't realize how badly Mountain Collective had been hit by the KSL creation.

Unfortunately I rolled my ankle pretty badly with possible major damage over the weekend so I may be sitting out this season.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:23 am

That's a terrific link. I didn't realize how badly Mountain Collective had been hit by the KSL creation.

Unfortunately I rolled my ankle pretty badly with possible major damage over the weekend so I may be sitting out this season.
A reminder that that link is for 2018-2019. That said, the Mountain collective was hit pretty hard. Hopefully Liftopia will find a few more resorts to add to it before it goes on sale.

We do a week out west at one destination, then a few weekends in the east. The addition of Sugarbush to the Mountain Collective finally made buying a pass cost effective.

Best of luck with the ankle.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 11:51 am

Oh, I didn't notice that it was for 2018-19. Going to be a tough decision either way.

I'm possibly going to be able to work ex-BUR for at least a month next season so I may just grab a Stowe season pass.

EDIT:

The ankle (while very painful) has no permanent damage so I should be right as rain in a few weeks.

Last edited by MSYtoJFKagain; Jun 1, 2017 at 11:52 am Reason: Added information
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Oh, I didn't notice that it was for 2018-19. Going to be a tough decision either way.

I'm possibly going to be able to work ex-BUR for at least a month next season so I may just grab a Stowe season pass.

EDIT:

The ankle (while very painful) has no permanent damage so I should be right as rain in a few weeks.
BUR or BTV? Glad the ankle isn't too damaged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.