Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel While Passport is Being Renewed?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA - seesaws between no status and Silver; HH Diamond
Question Travel While Passport is Being Renewed?

I have just sent my passport off for renewal as it expires in June and I have plans to travel in April. My son is leaving next week to study abroad for the next 5 months and I started wondering what would happen in the event of an emergency that would necessitate my travel during the time when I do not have the passport in hand. Has anyone had this experience? Hoping that I never need to use this info!
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:43 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
You can apply for a second passport in case of an emergency. Call the US Passport Agency for an appointment. You will need to present proof of the life or death emergency.
With said, being that you apparently are posting about a US passport, Ill move your question to the USA forum, where such issues are commonly discussed.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Thanks! As I said - hope I don't need to find out!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:49 pm
Suspended

While I don't have the answer to the OP's question, renewals are going pretty fast now. In July, got my renewal processed in about 2 weeks using standard renewal, not paying extra for expediting fees, much shorter than the five weeks that I was told to allow for.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, @DeweyCheathem! That's very quick!
Old Jan 14, 2017, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If you are located at or near one of the cities which has a Passport Agency:

https://travel.state.gov/content/pas.../agencies.html

you can obtain a passport, a second passport or a renewal within a few hours. While the instructions require an appointment and it makes sense to have one, if time-pressed, show up before the building opens with all of your paperwork completed and photos and ask for assistance. Have your proof of travel printed out.

While this is supposedly for emergencies, I don't know anyone who has been denied one for a last second business trip or even leisure trip opportunity.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

OP here - just wanted to give an update. I mailed my renewal on January 9th and just got my new passport in the mail. Very quick, considering that I did not expedite it (and there was a federal holiday and the inauguration in there too)!
Old Feb 7, 2017, 9:38 pm

Thanks both @DeweyCheathem and @myburg for the data points! I know there's Nexus & GE processing time threads over on the Trusted Traveler board, so I came looking over here to see what US Passport times were running.

I just sent my parents' passports off last week and was curious how long it was going to take. I was having heavenly thoughts of flying off with my fiancé, alone, somewhere during the gap. Looks like I better look for something in the next 2 weeks.
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by KRSW
I just sent my parents' passports off last week and was curious how long it was going to take. I was having heavenly thoughts of flying off with my fiancé, alone, somewhere during the gap. Looks like I better look for something in the next 2 weeks.
The current turnaround time is approximately 20 days according to this thread:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.