Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Old Feb 22, 2022, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Print Wikipost

UK Citizens Global Entry Applications and Renewals Procedures & Timelines

Old May 24, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MPH1980
GE does, generally, have it's own customs exit. It also removes the need to fill out that blue form.
Am I correct in thinking MIA doesn't have a customs exit at all now? I went through the global entry process and didn't notice any customs points at all.

They seemed to doing it more YYZ style and roaming around the baggage hall asking people questions.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA : BA
Originally Posted by reclusive46
Am I correct in thinking MIA doesn't have a customs exit at all now? I went through the global entry process and didn't notice any customs points at all.

They seemed to doing it more YYZ style and roaming around the baggage hall asking people questions.
I went through MIA on Friday and there was no customs check. Just walked straight through.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Oh, and one further question, if I may?

As a UK passport holder, I understand I need a valid ESTA in order to apply for GE. But ESTAs are valid for two years, GE is valid for five.

Does GE trump ESTA? In other words, should I obtain GE, would I also need to renew ESTA every two years, or could I leave that to one side.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: Iron Maiden FC, GE, Rapidly falling down the Tiers to oblivion.
Op. Stop typing, get applying. I got it a few years ago with a promo code, cost me nearly $1,000 with flights and sourcing polis clearance, don't give a baboons you know what - it is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. Larry panetta i believe is the head of the scheme and the man is a god to me. Transformed my travel experience and oh how i want to buy that man a beer. Am i waxing lyrical enough yet? Sure they have machines for esta holders now as well, but trust me i have recently again seen long lines even for that, Ge lets me plod on by (esp at miami - no queue at all, ever) with a very smug grin plastered on my mug.

As for estas, different 'schemes' if you will, i renew mine every two years (and you still must), nowt to do with GE other than if you try to enter the us without an esta (or a ge valid visa of which there are very few visa categories that are ok to use with GE i believe), kiss your GE goodbye for life. So much as cough in the wrong way and they will take it off you, no second chances.

As for customs - yes mia still has customs, it changed from post baggae to the person you talk to prior to going down to the baggage hall. GE holders notice it most as you now have to wait to hand your form to the chap/lady at the far left of the hall (usually still a 10 second wait) instead of the 'secret door' at hard left of the bottom of the escalator that is now shut. Previously, Ge holders were not stopped at all after the GE machines upstairs until you got to that 'secret door' downstairs.

When you apply you have 30 days to book an appointment. You can then move it out months if needed. Mia is also friendly for drop-ins if you find you cant get an appointment when you need, book one in 30 days, then shove it out a few months and just show up the next time you are there (before your booked date - keep moving the booked date if needs be and just keep showing up unannounced until they can see you).

Last edited by jcm9000; May 24, 2016 at 3:24 pm
Old May 25, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
andrelux, I've just checked my GE application and it took 8 days from when I applied until the conditional approval, so unless you are flying next week you should have time to get it done.

I can't see if anyone answered the question about the cost definitively but yes you pay Ł42 to the UK (for a records check that is done within a day) and $100 to the US for a first application.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andrelux
Oh, and one further question, if I may?

As a UK passport holder, I understand I need a valid ESTA in order to apply for GE. But ESTAs are valid for two years, GE is valid for five.

Does GE trump ESTA? In other words, should I obtain GE, would I also need to renew ESTA every two years, or could I leave that to one side.
You will still need a valid ESTA regardless of whether you have GE or not. The fact the renewal dates of each don't align is irrelevant, you just need to make sure both are valid when you travel. Both ESTA and GE are linked to a specific passport so if you renew your passpost you will need to update your GE and get a new ESTA.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:26 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Moving to the Trusted Traveler Forum, for housekeeping purposes.
Old May 25, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by MPH1980
I will also just give a recent timing statistic for you.

Landed at PHL Terminal A. Texted my wife as the plane was taxiing off the runway to say I'd landed. Signal hadn't kicked in - it did about 2 minutes later. Time stamp on the text was 15:30.

I exited the aircraft (from CW), walked to immigration - used the empty GE kiosks - went through customs, turned back around into security using pre-check and walked the short distance to the PHL terminal F shuttle.

I then sent my wife another text as she was concerned about my short connection time. It timestamped at 15:48.

Consider 10 years ago - it would be unimaginable to have gone through american immigration, customs and security in 18 minutes as a non-citizen. Top that off with the fact that it wasn't *actually* 18 minutes - it was more like 13-14 as the plane had to still park at the gate and the F passengers had to get off first.

All I saw was the snaking 'non-US Citizen' line that made me glad to have Global Entry.

However, those new ESTA kiosks really also make a difference and reduce the value of GE where they have been deployed.
In a lot of airports, previous ESTA users use the same APC kiosks that US citizens use. (They're not ESTA specific.) Usually only your first ESTA entry has to go through normal processing, after that you're clear for the kiosk. This varies by airport though. But in those airports where ESTA users are allowed to use APC kiosks you're getting the same treatment as a US citizen.

Last year I entered using a Visa at IAD, and was the only foreigner in the "true foreigner" queue (i.e. I got processed immediately, no waiting): everyone else coming off the plane was going to the Kiosks which did have a queue. So it's actually sometimes faster to be a foreigner (I think my flight was early, and from a european country - I can imagine later flights from non-european countries end up with a lot more people in the foreinger queue).
Old May 25, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by KARFA
You will still need a valid ESTA regardless of whether you have GE or not. The fact the renewal dates of each don't align is irrelevant, you just need to make sure both are valid when you travel. Both ESTA and GE are linked to a specific passport so if you renew your passpost you will need to update your GE and get a new ESTA.
To help clarify this a bit more:
- ESTA is just a travel authorisation, you shouldn't be able to get on a plane to the USA as a foreigner without either a Visa, or an ESTA.
- GE is just faster entry processing in the USA. You can't use it unless you actually get to the US border in the first place.

I believe you don't actually need ESTA for a Visa Waiver entry, this is possible if you're entering a land border from Canada. What I'm not sure about is if the same applies for a preclearance entry from Canada. Air Canada certainly never checked my Visa when flying Europe-YYZ-USA, which suggests you wouldn't need an ESTA either if flying that route, or from Canada to the USA from a preclearance airport.

I might be able to test this theory later this year: I currently have an ESTA and a Visa: I see two visa waiver options (business, tourist), in addition to my visa, as entry methods when using the GE kiosk. My ESTA expires later this year, so I'll soon be able to see if visa-free entry with GE is intrinsically linked to ESTA or not (if the visa-waiver options disappear then clearly it is linked).
Old May 26, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Turn-around with of Home Office checks -- about 1 working day (the fact that I hold a security clearance may or may not have helped here).
Turn-around of USA CBP checks once online form was submitted -- about a week with a weekend in the middle.
Not needing to queue at busy interchanges (I almost always have to take a domestic) and a bonus of Pre-Check when travelling internally -- priceless.
Old May 31, 2016, 4:57 pm

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Originally Posted by cgtechuk
Small Update.

Got my conditional approval through now just need to schedule an appointment now which is not easy as its all so full for weeks.

08/05/2016 - UKBF Application Sent
10/05/2016 - UK Part completed and code created
10/05/2016 - GOES Application completed online with the UK Code
18/05/2016 - Conditional Approval - Need to now book interview
31/05/2016 - Interview completed and approved. All in 23 days could have been a few days earlier but appointments didn't suit, I got a cancellation a week out for today. Interview was good, CBP officer very pleasant and professional
Old Jun 1, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
I got the UK code however when I go to signup for GOES it says my UK code could not be validated at this time.

I have contacted GOES but anyone got any ideas?
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Lewis42
I have contacted GOES but anyone got any ideas?
Try emailing [email protected] about the problematic code.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:04 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

We've recently had some confusion in other threads due to a members' use of the term GOES when referring to Global Entry.

GOES is the acronym for the Global Online Enrollment System and the website which is used to enroll in and update or edit information for all Trusted Traveler Programs: Global Entry, Flux, NEXUS, SENTRI and FAST.

If you were discussing Global Entry when you used the term GOES, it is recommended that you edit your earlier posts to make it clear that you are referring to the Global Entry program as opposed to the enrollment website.

TWA884
Co-moderator, Travel Safety/Security
Old Jun 3, 2016, 11:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Just in case anyone is worrying about a LONG processing time:

March 27th - UKBF application
March 27th - UKBF application successful, code issued
March 28th - GOES application

June 3rd - Conditional approval (finally!)

Turns out there was some sort of admin error involved. Very frustrating to sort out, GOES helpdesk were excellent

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.