Wiki Posts
Search

ORD Advice

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
ORD Advice

Couple quick things I wanna ask about...

Went to ORD last year for like 12 hours, checked the city out a bit, this time I'm gonna hit a Blackhawks game then I'm not sure.

1) As with many US airports it looks like there's no left luggage anymore, any tips? I may be travelling as small as carry on, but since I'm travelling for Christmas I may have 1 carry + 1 checked and I'm also assuming the airline won't keep my checked bag for 22.5 hours.

2) I'm thinking I'll get a hotel, especially if I have 1+1 bags and there's nowhere to store luggage. I'm thinking I'll just use hotel tonight but I wonder what the success rate will be on a Sunday night near Christmas (Dec 13 fwiw)

3) Anyone know what time the SAS or SWISS lounges open at? I'll have access to both at T5 but can't find anywhere what time they open and since I'm not flying either of those airlines it's not a given they will be. I'm flying COPA which I'm told actually uses the Swissport lounge (no longer affiliated with SWISS the airline to my knowledge that ended while I worked there 5-6 years ago) but loungebuddy says it opens at Noon and my flight leaves at 8:00am. I would ASSUME business class pax have access to a lounge, but that's not always the case.

4) Hawks game is at 6, so it'll be done by 830-9 at the latest, I've been to that area but what's the bar scene like post-game? Is the L open late enough for me to grab some beers post game then head back to O'Hare on a Sunday night? Looks like that blue line runs at least until 10:30 on a Sunday and isn't too far to walk from the UC.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:21 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
I'm going to automatically forward this thread to the Chicago forum. It will get more focused eyeballs that way.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Poster

My Mistake!! I had no idea there was a Chicago centered forum, didn't think they got that specific, didn't even think to look, sorry!!!!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 11:42 am
glg

1/2 - I'd just get a hotel. I wouldn't think Sunday night near ORD should be all that bad. xmas shoppers would screw up hotels in the city, not as much by ORD and also on Fri/Sat, not as much on Sun. Even if room isn't ready, you should be able to drop bags. You might be best to find something close to one of the Blue Line stations (Rosemount or Cumberland). If you get a hotel not near that, you'll have to ride to ORD postgame and then get the shuttle.
3 - sorry, can't help on this one
4 - Blue Line runs 24/7. Some trains short turn at UIC/Halsted (2 stops east of Illinois Medical District, the stop closest to the UC), so your wait may be a little longer on the way back. If you get a UIC/Halsted train going in, just take it, get off at Halsted when they kick you out and then wait for the next train which should take you the last two stops to IMD.

You will get razzed for wearing a Canucks jersey, especially if it's a Sedin
Old Oct 10, 2015, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glg
1/2 - I'd just get a hotel. I wouldn't think Sunday night near ORD should be all that bad. xmas shoppers would screw up hotels in the city, not as much by ORD and also on Fri/Sat, not as much on Sun. Even if room isn't ready, you should be able to drop bags. You might be best to find something close to one of the Blue Line stations (Rosemount or Cumberland). If you get a hotel not near that, you'll have to ride to ORD postgame and then get the shuttle.
3 - sorry, can't help on this one
4 - Blue Line runs 24/7. Some trains short turn at UIC/Halsted (2 stops east of Illinois Medical District, the stop closest to the UC), so your wait may be a little longer on the way back. If you get a UIC/Halsted train going in, just take it, get off at Halsted when they kick you out and then wait for the next train which should take you the last two stops to IMD.

You will get razzed for wearing a Canucks jersey, especially if it's a Sedin
Pretty much solved it for me, used a certificate and got a hotel near the Cumberland stop.

I thrive on the "razzing" I've been to 2/3rds of the NHL arenas and it's so much fun. Chicago is one that I've wanted to go to, it's all in good fun but the rivalry is/was so heated that you just hope someone doesn't get out of line (I know I never do) but so far I've never really had any issues.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PPro
Originally Posted by drvannostren
4) Hawks game is at 6, so it'll be done by 830-9 at the latest, I've been to that area but what's the bar scene like post-game? Is the L open late enough for me to grab some beers post game then head back to O'Hare on a Sunday night? Looks like that blue line runs at least until 10:30 on a Sunday and isn't too far to walk from the UC.
There are bars open until 1 or 2am in the area, and there will be plenty of people there post-game.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 9:57 pm
glg

Originally Posted by drvannostren
I thrive on the "razzing" I've been to 2/3rds of the NHL arenas and it's so much fun. Chicago is one that I've wanted to go to, it's all in good fun but the rivalry is/was so heated that you just hope someone doesn't get out of line (I know I never do) but so far I've never really had any issues.
I feel like the rivalry has died down at least in part due to the new division setup in the playoffs. Where the Hawks and Canucks faced each other 3 years in a row from 2009-11, now unless one of them is a crossover wild card, the only chance is if both make the conf finals. Similar story happened with the classic Hawks rival Wings (Detroit sucks!), after years of the Wings beating the Hawks in the playoffs, Hawks finally broke through in 2013, but now the Wings are in the East and it could only happen in the Finals.

You'll be fine, the crowd as a whole won't get out of line, if one dope does, it'll get taken care of by security.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glg
I feel like the rivalry has died down at least in part due to the new division setup in the playoffs. Where the Hawks and Canucks faced each other 3 years in a row from 2009-11, now unless one of them is a crossover wild card, the only chance is if both make the conf finals. Similar story happened with the classic Hawks rival Wings (Detroit sucks!), after years of the Wings beating the Hawks in the playoffs, Hawks finally broke through in 2013, but now the Wings are in the East and it could only happen in the Finals.

You'll be fine, the crowd as a whole won't get out of line, if one dope does, it'll get taken care of by security.
Good to know, honestly as long as 1 part has a cool head (me) then nothing really gets out of line.

Excellent news about the bars too, I'll hit HFboards to find recommendations . I'm pumped for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.