Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting my girlfriend for a couple of months

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2015, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Visiting my girlfriend for a couple of months

I'm from the UK and looking to visit my girlfriend who lives in the US. She is 22 and alternates between living either with her Mum or her dad (they are divorced). So I'll be staying with her and her parents. I'm planning on staying there 2 - 2 and a half months under the visa waiver program and wondering if there's anything I need to know when it comes to immigration? My girlfriend spent just under 6 months here this year and came under a hell of a lot of scrutiny at our immigration here in the UK, mostly due to the fact she wasn't bringing a ton of money with her. She had free accommodation with me so it wasn't really needed (they didn't care very much haha). So yeah, i'm just wondering if they are going to be giving me an equally hard time and what i'm likely to come up against, if anything? Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Quil
i'm just wondering if they are going to be giving me an equally hard time and what i'm likely to come up against, if anything?
Quite probably. Because of lack of funds to support your whole trip for the entire length of stay....and also the concern that you are coming to the US to get married and stay to work (without applying for a fiancé visa, a process in which your background is thoroughly vetted).
Old Sep 3, 2015, 8:31 am

Do you have a return ticket already? Would be helpful to have the itinerary to show them.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Quil
I'm from the UK and looking to visit my girlfriend who lives in the US. She is 22 and alternates between living either with her Mum or her dad (they are divorced). So I'll be staying with her and her parents. I'm planning on staying there 2 - 2 and a half months under the visa waiver program and wondering if there's anything I need to know when it comes to immigration? My girlfriend spent just under 6 months here this year and came under a hell of a lot of scrutiny at our immigration here in the UK, mostly due to the fact she wasn't bringing a ton of money with her. She had free accommodation with me so it wasn't really needed (they didn't care very much haha). So yeah, i'm just wondering if they are going to be giving me an equally hard time and what i'm likely to come up against, if anything? Thanks!
Having a return ticket, a job/school and a home/apartment of your own to go back to after 2.5 months will improve your chances of not having a problem with DHS/CBP at the US port of entry. You'd also have a better chance of not having problems if the timing and place of your US visit corresponded with peak vacation periods in the UK for UK persons and other Europeans.

Last edited by GUWonder; Sep 3, 2015 at 12:11 pm
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
Exclamation

Same immigration concerns here as with most nations:
  1. sufficient funds for all, not just family accommodation
  2. not intending to change intent after entry (i.e. staying)
  3. ability to return - showing return flight itinerary printout helps, other proofs you didn't abandon life in UK or have reasons to return

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.