Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Moderator2
Place holder for ESTA wiki:
Print Wikipost

ESTA ("Electronic System For Travel Authorization") see here for threads and Q&A's

Old Jul 3, 2014, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold

Sorry for the off topic subject, however I thought the collective immense knowledge base that meets up here might be able to provide me with an answer to my predicament. I've posted this on another forum, but as yet no takers. My question is as follows...

I've submitted a group esta for the family travelling to SFO next week (Friday 11th). Now the individual ESTAs are correct, however the group name is the wrong way round. i.e. given name has been entered as Surname and vice versa. Will this make a difference and cause problems? Delved into the ESTA site, no answers became apparent, and with no phone numbers listed to speak with an agent, I'm wondering whether to just start afresh.

Help appreciated!

Last edited by Moderator2; Mar 5, 2015 at 8:03 am
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:53 pm

Advice Needed: ESTA Problems

Hi this is my first post on this forum and i am hoping to get some advice on my ESTA.

I applied for my ESTA last June and initially it took 3 days to be approved. The plan was to travel from the UK to the USA in the Summer 2013. I ended up changing plans and decided to travel this summer instead.

As the ESTA was valid for two years i didn't give it a second thought and just checked it again in February to make sure everything was ok. To my surprise it had reverted back to authorization pending. Again it took 3 days to be approved.

I went ahead after it had been approved and booked a week holiday to LV. I am meant to fly out in two weeks and logged on today to print the ESTA and it has again reverted back to "Authorisation Pending." This has got me extremely worried.

What i would like to know is what all of this means. I have never been in trouble with the law and work in the NHS which requires regular criminal records checks. I am sure it will be approved again but my worry is that on the day of travel it'll say "Authorisation Pending" and i will be denied boarding.

Another thing, my first name is Mohammad and i am 34 so i don't know what effect that has.

Any advice is appreciated. Should i just pack the whole thing in and just take the losses or wait till the day and run the risk.
Old Jul 11, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I'd contact the local US Consulate office/Embassy and see if they can assist as I don't think the ESTA office has an open contact email or phone number. Also if it does go back to approved be sure to print that out. An airline won't let you fly with just a printout but it may help with your resolution.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Nadeem1980
Hi this is my first post on this forum and i am hoping to get some advice on my ESTA.

I applied for my ESTA last June and initially it took 3 days to be approved. The plan was to travel from the UK to the USA in the Summer 2013. I ended up changing plans and decided to travel this summer instead.

As the ESTA was valid for two years i didn't give it a second thought and just checked it again in February to make sure everything was ok. To my surprise it had reverted back to authorization pending. Again it took 3 days to be approved.

I went ahead after it had been approved and booked a week holiday to LV. I am meant to fly out in two weeks and logged on today to print the ESTA and it has again reverted back to "Authorisation Pending." This has got me extremely worried.

What i would like to know is what all of this means. I have never been in trouble with the law and work in the NHS which requires regular criminal records checks. I am sure it will be approved again but my worry is that on the day of travel it'll say "Authorisation Pending" and i will be denied boarding.

Another thing, my first name is Mohammad and i am 34 so i don't know what effect that has.

Any advice is appreciated. Should i just pack the whole thing in and just take the losses or wait till the day and run the risk.
Your name in itself should not matter as I know a French national whose name is Mohammed and he was allowed into America with an ESTA.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Have you checked if your credit card has been charged? Your authorization will be pending until ESTA received your $.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:08 pm

My ESTA has been approved twice before and the card has been charged, last year in fact. Also i put the ESTA's through on a group application and everyone else on there has been approved, and it was all paid off the same card. Mine is the only one thats status keeps changing
Old Jul 13, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe you should go to this site to contact CBP:

L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDA1MjkwNDE4L3NpZC9QWnlKOGRabA

May not help but if your application is still pending after 72 hours + your card is charged $14 (they charge $4 if it's not approved, $14 if it's approved), then you might want to contact them.
Old Jul 17, 2014, 2:02 am

Visa Waiver Program / ESTA/ USA HELP

I am new to this but I thought it would be good to get some other insight.

I will be travelling to USA/America on the 1st of October hopefully till the 10th of November on the Visa Waiver Program. I've been reading threads and they are starting to make me nervous as this will be my first trip outside of Australia or really first travel on a plane EVER, and I will be visiting my long distance boyfriend for the first time and also will be doing some sight seeing as you can exactly go to America and not have a look at all the awesome things they have.

I would be devastated if I arrived in LAX airport and was denied entry. :C
I will be applying for Esta in the next couple of days but was wondering as I have been to court for a minor offence (caught driving on a suspended learners license) but was only given a fine which I am paying. I am unsure if I am to list this on my Esta application or not to, or if it'll effect my entry into America. I have never been in trouble with the law besides that and yeah...Please help me..Advice would be nice. (:

Last edited by Stormyrose; Jul 17, 2014 at 2:09 am
Old Aug 5, 2014, 8:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
ESTA Middle Name Dilemma

I know this has probably been asked before but I am seeking clarification on this.

Should I include my middle name on my ESTA application?

It appears on my passport as follows:

Given Names: David Neil
Surname: Rose

Do I include both given names in the application or just one? As people have said don't include middle name but then it also says it should appear exactly the same as my passport, which does include my middle name.

The API that I have given BA has David Neil Rose on the booking.

Any help appreciated
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:09 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
David - ALWAYS put it in *identical* to your passport. There won't be any issues then - and especially if this matches your airline booking.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 4:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
USA immigration and ESTA

Hi, I am British and am planning a twin center vacation to Toronto and New York later this year and need some help if i will still need to fill out an ESTA as I am entering through Canada but leaving through the US. Any guidance would be much appreciated, thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It doesn't matter how you get to the US, what matters is what passport you have. I'd very much expect that you need to get ESTA 72 hrs before your arrival to the US.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 7:07 am
Suspended

I have a British passport but it expires soon can I update this on the ESTA website?
Also on the ESTA site do I say I am departing from Toronto or London(LHR)?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No you need to get a new ESTA because you have a different passport number. Get a new passport before applying ESTA and you will save USD14 and it valids for 2 years. It's the same for children passports which is PITA since their first passports only valid for 2 years.

If you are entering the US from Toronto then I would put Toronto.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nacho
Get a new passport before applying ESTA and you will save USD14 and it valids for 2 years.
Thanks Nacho. One question if i am applying for a new ESTA how do you save on the cost?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.