Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Will US embassies and consulates still add passport pages while you wait?

Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:05 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

US State Department tells me they don't think so.

The embassies in the countries I'll be in the next few days either don't speak to you on the phone or are closed due to time changes.

Anyone been successful at getting pages added to your passport lately at embassies while you wait?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:18 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by l'etoile
US State Department tells me they don't think so.

The embassies in the countries I'll be in the next few days either don't speak to you on the phone or are closed due to time changes.

Anyone been successful at getting pages added to your passport lately at embassies while you wait?
Just did this in London two weeks ago. Took ten minutes to clear security and get in the building, another ten minutes to talk to somebody, five minutes to fill out the form, and about 1/2 hour of waiting. Not bad at all, and no charge.

Only complaint - the passport is now big and a few pages are now mis-aligned and stick out of the covers . But quite happy with the service overall.

I had emailed in advance to make sure I didn't need an appointment.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL FO, AA Ex. Plat, UA 1K
Yes they do. I just did this in Bratislava about 9 months ago. I'd much rather wait 30 minutes and fill out a simple form than to ship a passport off and wait to get it back.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 1:31 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Thanks. Glad to hear this is still done as it beats sending it out.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:27 pm
mkt

Programs: AA LT PLT; DL GLD, UA nothing, B6 Mosaic; Emerald Club Executive
Did this last year in Santo Domingo
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pentop
Yes they do. I just did this in Bratislava about 9 months ago. I'd much rather wait 30 minutes and fill out a simple form than to ship a passport off and wait to get it back.
Do they add pages to new passports, with the chip also? My wife and kids and another FTer we had met, had the older passports and managed to have pages added to theirs in Bucharest, but I had the new passport, and I was told that they didn't have pages for the new passport.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
I've still got two more years on my passport, but only about four blank pages left and I need a new visa in a couple of months. Will they add a second set of new pages?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Yes, they should add a second set. There's no limit (other than practical) to how many times they can add pages.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
More Pages Please

I've been told by counsular services at the embassy in Costa Rica that two times is the maximum they can add pages to your passport and the past three passports have had 24 pages (A-X) added two times each. The last time being about a year ago and while I waited. My current passport expires in 2016, but all pages and the two 24 page extensions are full and I had to send off for a new passport last week which is due to be at the embassy 13 Feb. for pick-up. In these stamp-happy latin american countries it is possible to pick up 4-5 stamps on a good travel day.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 6:21 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
I've been told a maximum of three additional sets of pages are allowed.

I have a chip passport and London had no problems adding pages - my guess is your was just a fluke situation (embassy not having the "right pages" to add in).

For those that have added a second or third set of pages, do they just keep repeating page numbering (A-X), or is it AA-XX and AAA-XXX or something?
Old Feb 6, 2009, 9:50 pm

Programs: CO Gold
I just did this in Tokyo a few weeks ago. They did want to see evidence of onward travel and the wait was about an hour, but still far better than sending my passport away. No problem with the add-on pages, they fit into the passport just fine but are a slightly heavier weight of paper than the rest of the passport. They're the new "patriotic" pages with pictures of soaring eagles and amber waves of grain and such.

Upon returning to the US something definitely popped up on the computer at immigration and I got a little bit of extra questioning about where I had been and some serious typing into what I assume is my permanent record that will follow me around the rest of my life. I suspect this was due to the passport being amended during the trip.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Wow, this is Government? The Ewe-Ess Government??

A few months back, I was in Hong Kong and needed extra pages. So I went to the US Consulate's website and made an appointment.

I showed up, went through security and surrendered my cell phone to the guards. Went upstairs and checked in. Was seen within 5 minutes of my appointment time. 20 minutes later, I was out the door with my passport, new pages, my cell phone and wondering why the US Gov't isn't this efficient back home. ^
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
I did it in Singapore a while ago ...and need to do it again soon (guess I'm traveling enough )
Old Feb 6, 2009, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by vysean
For those that have added a second or third set of pages, do they just keep repeating page numbering (A-X), or is it AA-XX and AAA-XXX or something?
The repeat the page numbering using the A-X alphabet -- so having two, three or four "A" pages is well possible still.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 2:37 pm

If they can't do it while you wait how long does it take?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.