Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > USA
Reload this Page >

Can a US citizen visit a US Embassy abroad just because?

Can a US citizen visit a US Embassy abroad just because?

Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:22 am

This thread reminds me a little about this video

Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by maortega15
This thread reminds me a little about this video
I'm thinking more of Monty Python: "Bring out your dead!..."
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
What if a non-citizen mother gives birth in a US embassy when applying for a visa or something, would the baby get US citizenship given that it was technically born on US soil.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Originally Posted by robertloye
I was under the impression that it is taxpayer money that funds all public entities and therefore they should not disallow my entry.
You have my sympathy, although US citizens are not guaranteed entry to any and every taxpayer-funded entity (military bases being an obvious example).

Last edited by Kamalaasaa; Apr 18, 2017 at 11:02 am Reason: Fix quote
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
What if a non-citizen mother gives birth in a US embassy when applying for a visa or something, would the baby get US citizenship given that it was technically born on US soil.
it's not american soil, the building belongs to america, but for diplomatic reasons, the sovereign nation it is in, does not enforce its law, which it is entitled to do
Old Apr 18, 2017, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pinniped
I guess a general question: is there any country left who has public sections of their embassies that are worth visiting? Sort of along the lines of visiting the Australian one to read Aussie newspapers...

German embassies with biergartens?

Can't say I'd ever care to visit an American one...unless they have a Chipotle in there or something...
There are some beautiful embassies in DC. I've been to receptions at the Canadian Embassy building - striking location and there was a Mountie we got our pictures taken with. Also, the British Embassy, which was a let down - just sort of a big open room in a 1960ish building. One of the Scandinavian countries has an amazing modern building - all wood and set back in the trees - Finland, maybe?

Then there are the one's for countries you've never heard of...some of them look like their about to fall down and with dead landscaping.

Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
If you decide the security hoops aren't worth it, just go visit the DMV for a couple hours next time you're in the states. The ambience and decor are strikingly similar.
This is certainly true of various Visa offices in Chicago. The Indian office is spot on DMV, right down to the guy at the front who demands to review your paperwork, the long rows of plastic chairs, the "next customer" number board and the surly workers who seem to look for any reason to deny you a Visa.

China is even funnier. Hidden away on an upper floor of a generic office building, the guard at the front door of the building just sighs and hands you the special sign in sheet for the Visa Office. You then go up to a dusty office that's crammed with people. Complete with security equipment that's turned off and shoved into a corner, along with a pay-per copy machine with a "broken" sign on it that clearly been there for years. The latter is important since there are several signs saying you need an extra copy of your passport information page, a fact that is included in NONE of their online instructions. They clearly have a deal going with a commercial visa broker down the hall who will gladly make those copies for only $2.00 per sheet.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been to a few really lovely embassies belonging to various nations, including one in Tokyo that had a fantastic little Japanese garden in the middle. But most are grey concrete offices that are very boring!

There's an embassy in the building in which I work, a few floors below me. I imagine it looks pretty identical to where I sit day in and day out! And I wonder about that one practically too - since surely they can't 'own' the space in the same way a free standing building could be?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chelmkamp
So many students were disappointed to learn that places like the Pentagon, Supreme Court, and even some of the more sexy sounding agencies are mostly just big office buildings full of cubes, computer screens, ringing telephones and frazzled employees just like any other office building on earth. They had all been watching way too many movies.
You didn't take them to the Cthulhu sanctuary and temple on the fifth level below the Pentagon's central courtyard?
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:11 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
The USA forum was only created a few years ago, so we will now shift this discussion over there. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Apr 18, 2017, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nmh1204
it's not american soil, the building belongs to america, but for diplomatic reasons, the sovereign nation it is in, does not enforce its law, which it is entitled to do
Indeed it's not American soil, regardless of who owns the building. But part of the host country enforcing its laws includes enforcing its multilateral and bilateral treaties/conventions. It's the legal agreements that give birth to the waiving of jurisdictional application by the host country, when it comes to diplomats and diplomatic facilities.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by robertloye
It is not a dumb question because I had a similar problem. I visited the American Embassy in Kiev yesterday, I had specific business, and I am a citizen. I was turned away and told that I had to make an appointment. I came to kiev from another city an it was a hardship to go back, make an appointment and come back again. To make things worse, the form i need from the embassy is time sensitive and the appointment was for 1 week later. I was under the impression that it is taxpayer money that funds all public entities and therefore they should not disallow my entry.
I don't see the idea that certain government functions require an appointment to be that unreasonable. If there's no appointment, then no reason to allow you into the building.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:49 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Maybe just take a selfie on the outside and move on?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:03 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Can't add pages anymore...thus, no reason for me to visit.

Besides, US consulates/embassies aren't welcoming to anyone (which is purposeful under a veil of security).
Old Apr 25, 2017, 2:33 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I don't see the idea that certain government functions require an appointment to be that unreasonable. If there's no appointment, then no reason to allow you into the building.
Given how difficult it has become to get a timely appointment for some American citizen services, I'm increasingly finding the appointment requirement for US citizens to be unreasonable. Given the appointment system can be used by the government to deny or otherwise frusrtrate US citizens' ability to exercise some rather fundamental rights in a timely manner, I am increasingly finding the appointment system for US citizens to be unreasonable. Given the appointment system doesn't work so well for US citizens who may have large number of dependent, immediate family members of such age in such location under such circumstances that further family separation isn't an easy or inexpensive option, I am finding the appointment requirement for US citizens to be unreasonable. At first when this online appointment regime was implemented, I wasn't finding it that unreasonable. Now, it's a different story.

This appointment requirement has become a matter of US citizens paying the same or more, waiting the same or more and getting no more than before from our embassies/consulates. And for our citizens who are only resident outside of the US, this kind of regime adds insult to injury given our citizenship-based taxation and other extraterritorial arrangements already make US citizens abroad a sort of second class US citizen and a second class resident abroad in some ways.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:31 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by Toshbaf
Maybe just take a selfie on the outside and move on?
Careful with that; most have signs prohibiting photos even outside and the local cops will sometimes enforce it if you are too obvious. In most cases you would be taking a picture of a tall wall anyway...

I actually watched the Chilango cops stop a guy at the US Embassy in MExico City a few weeks ago while he tried a photo. Have seen it at others as well. I of course got a photo at the State of Texas trade office in the Sheraton next door

I have been in over 40 US Embassies and Consulates over the last 10-12 for briefings based on some different work I was involved with---as others have noted you are not missing much in most cases. Some have some nice gardens like the Consulate in Fukuoka but are still sterile inside. The lobby in London was nice at one point 12+ years ago but that might have changed. WAs in the Merida consulate a few weeks ago and it fit the mold of standard gov't office building too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.