Tipping in America?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping in America?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by sydunipete
Apologies if this has already been dealt with - this thread is getting quite long now.

What would be an appropriate tip for a shuttle bus (shared ride bus) from JFK with an advertised fare of $55 per head? There are two of us and the ride will take 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
I'm not sure everyone WOULD tip under those circumstances, and I suspect the answers you get will vary widely.

Assuming I had bags and got assistance with them from the driver, I'd probably tip something but probably nothing proportional to the $110 cost of the tickets. Regular city or intercity bus drivers are not tipped, and for something like Supershuttle I'll normally just tip a couple dollars unless they've done something out of the ordinary or I have a ton of bags.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:08 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Sounds like this is not a trip to the city. What shuttle bus? And where is it going?

I would probably tip $5. Is a tip not included in the rate?
Old May 22, 2015, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by User Name
Sounds a bit like the kid who offers to "look after your car" for 50p.
For restaurant waitstaff in the U.S., I don't think of it this way: it's so ingrained in the culture and in the underlying mechanics of the labor market for waitstaff that it's simply part of the cost. It is a system that benefits the restaurant owner, often at the expense of everyone else, but in the U.S. it's business interests that call the shots. Thus the tip doesn't either reward good service or insure against bad - it just is.

That said, for many other professions that are starting to get tipped, it totally feels like "look after my car". We had a thread about tipping plumbers a few months back. That definitely had the feel of "tip the guy so he doesn't screw up the job." (My actual experience with plumbers is not this at all - the mostly good professionals who do good work, and many would probably take offense to the idea that they must be bribed to get a job right.)
Old May 22, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by wharvey
Sounds like this is not a trip to the city. What shuttle bus? And where is it going?

I would probably tip $5. Is a tip not included in the rate?
The shuttle bus is going from JFK to Philadelphia. It's not a public bus service but one of those shared mini-bus shuttles.

I haven't seen an invoice yet to know if a tip is included.

Thanks for the responses so far.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:51 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Do you have a link to the company website? We might be able to research for you.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
http://supertranspa.com/
Old May 22, 2015, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've only done the NYC-Philly bus thing one time: I think I tipped a porter a buck to throw my bag onto the bus. It was a bigger bus...I didn't interact with or tip the driver.

In this case, sounds like more of a large van where driver = porter, I suppose I'd tip a couple bucks for handling/stowing luggage. The aforementioned $5 wouldn't be out of line. (I wouldn't necessarily *like* it, but I would probably do it.)

Just assume your invoice won't make any mention of a tip. Fare + taxes is more likely. I would be happy to be wrong here...
Old May 22, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by sydunipete
I used to take a similar shuttle from Denver airport to Keystone resort in the US Rockies. I'd ride a return trip monthly.

I would always tip the driver - Usually around $8.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:15 am

So taking the middle-ground here : if all he does is open the boot (sorry trunk) for my bags and is grumpy and does nothing more than get me from A to B then I think twice about a tip. If he respectfully places my bags in the trunk, drives well, shares some amusing anecdotes and gives us a guided tour of Philadelphia as we make our way to our final destination in a timely fashion then a $10 or $15 tip would be appropriate (for 2 people).

Thanks for your help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.