Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Gold flying INTL economy lounge access question?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Star Gold flying INTL economy lounge access question?

I should know the answer to this... I really should. But now I am second guessing myself, so here goes:

US Gold Preferred (Star Gold) flying DCA-PHL-Europe. As a Star Gold I know I get access to the Envoy Lounge in PHL during the layover even though I'm flying coach.

Is the US Club at DCA a Star Gold designated lounge? Can I access that one too?

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
No lounge access in DCA, only on the orginating points of your international legs. So PHL yes, leaving Europe yes.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:07 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
I /think/ you should be able to access it in DCA as well presenting your international boarding pass.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by pbuntrock
No lounge access in DCA, only on the orginating points of your international legs. So PHL yes, leaving Europe yes.
This is wrong. *G gets lounge access the whole day prior to an international flight.

In Feb, I flew PHX-PHL-MUC (coach as a US Plat), and was able to access one of the US lounges in PHX with no problem.

On the return, MUC-PHL-LAS-PHX, I was able to access both the LH lounge in MUC, as well as the US B-C lounge in PHL. If I had lots of time I probably could have even gone in the LAS lounge.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by geo1005
...US Gold Preferred (Star Gold) flying DCA-PHL-Europe.....
In the past, it was more restrictive for Club/lounge entrance, i.e. "gateway city" access only. Less restrictive now...you should be OK in both DCA Club and PHL Envoy lounge

From website,
Star Alliance benefits
Enjoy special privileges when you travel on any participating Star Alliance airlines. Just present your Gold Preferred membership card and same-day international ticket to access the US Airways Club and more than 600 Star Alliance lounges.

Eligible international destinations for lounge access include Asia, Africa, Canada, Europe, Middle East, South America and the following cities: Mexico City, Guadalajara, San Jose (Costa Rica)
Old Apr 24, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
Here are the official rules:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...ss-policy.html

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
* Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card
* Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
* Customer is entitled to one guest
* United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
It looks like you should be allowed access anytime the same day as your international flights.
Old Apr 24, 2009, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Great info! Thanks. I'll let you know what happens at DCA...

Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by MichaelColey

It looks like you should be allowed access anytime the same day as your international flights.
Agree that that's what the *A policy is, but on a FCO-phl-MSY trip about 3 months ago, we were denied entrance to the Envoy lounge, which is a *A lounge. The dragon ladies said it was only for international departures. Went to the RCC and admitted as a "one time exception".

The language (to me) in the *A policy is clear - access granted as part of a continuing international trip. At PHL, they chose to interpret it as if lounge access were only allowed at the international gateway...

In RCC's, a distinction is made for international travel w/ intermediate stops in the US. Drink chits are provided only at your international gateway, but lounge access is provided all along the journey, unless you have ill-informed dragon ladies, there's a nest of 'em in PHL...
Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by bucketlist
Agree that that's what the *A policy is, but on a FCO-phl-MSY trip about 3 months ago, we were denied entrance to the Envoy lounge, which is a *A lounge. The dragon ladies said it was only for international departures. Went to the RCC and admitted as a "one time exception".
The PHL Envoy lounge is only an International Departures lounge. On the return, you can use the US B-C lounge.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Evidently there is a conflict between wording and actual practice, so if I were the OP, I would take a copy of the website policy with me just in case.

As to whether or not someone is "departing internationally," that choice of words would apply in either direction. One would be departing the US to travel internationally to another country and one would be departing another country to travel internationally back to the US. Both directions are transborder crossings and should be considered international travel.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Great info! Thanks. I'll let you know what happens at DCA...
No problems at DCA at all. The DCA US Club agent confirmed that as a US Gold (Star Gold) flying in coach that I had access both in DCA and PHL and was allowed one guest. The US Club at DCA is a designated Star Gold lounge. No problem at all in PHL at the Envoy Lounge on the connection before our international departure either.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
The PHL Envoy lounge is only an International Departures lounge. On the return, you can use the US B-C lounge.
This is correct. And it makes sense as the majority of the connections on a return are out of the B/C terminals. I assume the same would be true for the F Terminal for Express flights too (I think there is a US Club in the F terminal).
Old Aug 2, 2009, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP (One World Emerald), Hilton Gld, Marriot Slvr
No problems at DCA at all. The DCA US Club agent confirmed that as a US Gold (Star Gold) flying in coach that I had access both in DCA and PHL and was allowed one guest. The US Club at DCA is a designated Star Gold lounge. No problem at all in PHL at the Envoy Lounge on the connection before our international departure either.
Does anyone know if kids are counted as "guests"?
Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:08 am

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Originally Posted by MichaelColey

Nodbody told the Boston lounge.

I argue with them all the time, but never win.

Sometimes, I get we're not supposed to, but will let you in this one time.

The place is huge.... how many people are really going BOS-PHL-Tran Atl!!!

All the smart people take LH or LX if they are *A

Old Aug 3, 2009, 8:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Alphaguy
Nodbody told the Boston lounge.

I argue with them all the time, but never win.

Sometimes, I get we're not supposed to, but will let you in this one time.

The place is huge.... how many people are really going BOS-PHL-Tran Atl!!!

All the smart people take LH or LX if they are *A

Can't believe they are so restrictive, that BOS lounge is a real ghost town. Returning from LHR (VS) stopped in BOS lounge for 3 hour layover. Lovely lounge, nice high ceilings and comfy chairs, just didn't expect it to be so quiet. Only 4 other pax the entire time. Maybe it's the no-liquor license problem.

BOS lounge 5PM on a THU:

Last edited by PittDoc; Aug 3, 2009 at 11:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.