Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airlines Promotion - Two tickets received in the mail?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2009, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
US Airlines Promotion - Two tickets received in the mail?

I received a item in the mail today that has no US Air logo on it. However, when I open it up it says I have won a trip from US Air, 2 tickets anywhere in the continental US and 3 nights at a Marriott. It has a phone number to call to claim this "special gift". I am very wary about this offer and am pretty sure it's a scam. However, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has received this before. The front of the offer has a picture of the US with the Capitol building. The inside also has a Red Lobster and Olive Garden logo. Can anyone provide me with some insight as to if this is legit without me calling this number? Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by axpmaluga
I received a item in the mail today that has no US Air logo on it. However, when I open it up it says I have won a trip from US Air, 2 tickets anywhere in the continental US and 3 nights at a Marriott. It has a phone number to call to claim this "special gift". I am very wary about this offer and am pretty sure it's a scam. However, I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has received this before. The front of the offer has a picture of the US with the Capitol building. The inside also has a Red Lobster and Olive Garden logo. Can anyone provide me with some insight as to if this is legit without me calling this number? Thanks.
You are pretty sure it is a scam? I am 100% sure it is a scam. I have received the same mailing and it went straight into the circular file.

Last edited by gardener; Mar 28, 2009 at 3:27 pm
Old Mar 28, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
They're usually time share and/or travel agency offers... generally you get the trip for "free" but you have to pay a fortune in "fees and taxes" to get the "free" trip - sometimes they'll do things like overcharge then ask for your bank account info so they can refund directly to you... there's all types of them...

Here's one article on the scams:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004591.html
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:26 pm

Got mine in the mail today and this one has got to be one of the most pathetic yet:

No return address on envelope -- reputable companies are not ashamed

Letterhead is for a nevah-heard-o-ya company "US Airlines" -- oh please!

Offer is ridiculous -- $1400 in travel for no particular reason at all.

Statement that attempts have been made to contact me in the past and that this is the final (gasp! gasp!) attempt -- a bald-faced lie.

Sadly, in an era when individual and corporate integrity seem to be things of the past, the consuming public must endure this sort of rubbish.

Spank you very much to those who did this. May you receive the rewards that you so richly deserve. Proper decorum prohibits me from stating what those rewards might be.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I got the same "US Airlines" offer in the past. File #13 it went.

HTSC
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:24 pm

I received something similar.

Postmarked 4.26.11 from Phoenix, AZ, hand written address in blue ink and no return address.
Fake looking logo, called US AIRLINES (not Airways). Letter with no return address and informed I won 2 roundtrip airline tickets and to call right away 1-866-930-5377 from VP Marcia Oneal.

Total scam, and how can I report this?
I am disturbed they even have my address!!
Old May 6, 2011, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by cewinget
Got mine in the mail today and this one has got to be one of the most pathetic yet:

No return address on envelope -- reputable companies are not ashamed

Letterhead is for a nevah-heard-o-ya company "US Airlines" -- oh please!

Offer is ridiculous -- $1400 in travel for no particular reason at all.

Statement that attempts have been made to contact me in the past and that this is the final (gasp! gasp!) attempt -- a bald-faced lie.

Sadly, in an era when individual and corporate integrity seem to be things of the past, the consuming public must endure this sort of rubbish.

Spank you very much to those who did this. May you receive the rewards that you so richly deserve. Proper decorum prohibits me from stating what those rewards might be.

I received exactly this mailing today, Googled "US Airlines ticket scam", found this thread and joined this site. The upside is, I found this site to talk about airline stuff.

If it seems too good to be true, it is - don't waste your time. The main reason I was curious opening this envelope was, although it was blank with no logo, it was hand addressed - or the scammers have a good printer that makes it look like hand addressed blue ink. The postmark says that it was sent from Phoenix, AZ on May 2nd.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:14 pm

Programs: US Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Welcome Flying Evlis---you will learn alot here
Old May 8, 2011, 8:55 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I love these things. If you want to have some fun, call and play along with it and then pick apart their sales pitch. I do it all the time. The best is when I tell them I'm recording the call so I can go back and review the offer if I need clarification. They get very annoyed at that.
Old May 13, 2011, 3:23 pm

Us Airlines

I received this in the mail today as well... however my VP says Janelle Kelly. I actually worked for the airlines and have never heard of US Airlines....
Old May 13, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
These are all just shady marketing techniques. The names/addresses/birthdays are culled from other mailing lists that you are on, where you've neglected to "opt out" of sharing your information with Company X's partners. Company X then sells your basic info to whatever clearinghouse these guys use, and you start getting the junk mail. They also can find this info on the public records rolls like for property sales (ever wonder how you start getting the Home Depot catalogs right after you buy a house?). They can't legally use the exact US logo (or any other company) so they just get as close as they can, in hopes that an unsophisticated reader will fall for their bait. 9 times out of 10 they are selling extremely overpriced timeshares. Your "free trip" may actually even be a trip out to hear their pitch. Throw them away
Old Sep 7, 2011, 6:55 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BostonMark
They're usually time share and/or travel agency offers...
exactly what this is, timeshare sales pitch.

Seems another round of letters was mailed out, Mrs Sweet Willie & I both received letters.
Old Sep 7, 2011, 7:39 am

Yep, got the same US "Airlines" scam and binned it.

Yes, there are fonts that look like handwriting, to give it that "personal" feel.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 8:22 am

Smile

Got the letter a few days ago, glad I checked here first, Same thing from U S Air Promotions, 2 free flights worth up to $1,298.00 Like the "certain restrictions apply" part. and their attempts to contact me several times!!! Looks like they will have to issue this to the "alternate" that they mentioned. Signed by a Juli Lee Vice president!!! Boy do I feel important
Old Jan 13, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Got mine today, and promptly tossed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.