Wiki Posts
Search

Recognition by a FA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAir CP, United, Continental, Marriott Gold, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt
Recognition by a FA

I flew from PHX to PHL today on a 321 in FC. During the boarding process, I was just thinking that I could not remember the last time a FA used my name when taking my food or beverage order and was wondering if there was a change in procedure.

Once we were in flight, the FA went to a passenger in Row 6 and knelt down and talked about whatever. Then she came to me. She again knelt down, greeted me by name and basically said that as she told the other passenger, she wanted to thank me for flying US Airways. She had some other kind words and said that she understands that I spend about as much time on planes as she does and she wanted to ensure that I get my first choice for the lunch selections. She thanked me profusely for my loyalty, etc., etc.

In addition, she made sure that she had something meaningful to say to every FC passenger on the flight.

I was so grateful that I had an A&B certificate for her.

Just curious if any other CP's or elites have had a similar experience or if Pamela is just one of a kind?

I also found it curious that there were only two CP's and I felt like I had to go through an Act of Congress to get an upgrade. An interesting subject for another thread, as I am on the same flight two weeks in a row with nearly identical availability and breezed through the upgrade process on one and went down to the wire on the other. One was booked through the CP desk and the other online.
Old Jan 24, 2007, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I had a similar experience several months ago on a DCA-CLT flight. The FA (male) introduced himself, thanked, and addressed each passenger by name with a little something extra. To me he said that he was surprised that we'd never met before because he knew most DCA Chairman's elites. (I didn't explain that I'd been comped to Chairman's and this was my first experience up front on US.)

I've had the experience a few times with FAs before on NW, and also a Captain who walked through the first class cabin and introduced himself to each FC passenger, then went in to coach and worked about half the cabin. This guy is known to some NW fters because he is also a harmonica player who plays a few bars before making his pre-takeoff announcements.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum for Life.
I've had this experience many times over the past 4 years. Especially during the 2nd BK and right at the beginning of the merger.

There just happens to be a few F/A's that take the time to read the manifest and learn your name or become a bit more "friendly".

Nice Touch..........
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:54 am

The first time I got upgraded last June, the F/A did address everyone by name during the flight ("can I get you another drink Miss B?"). He even remembered each persons name as we got off the plane as he said goodbye. I thought it was always like that. Haven't had it happen since at least not past the meal order.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:42 am

I've had them ask my name a few times recently but only on US West.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
There are some truley superb US FA's out there that really go out of their way to make passengers feel welcome. Pamela actually rings a bell as I think I've flown with her and remember the stellar service.

While the FC product isn't what it once was I have had FA's who still make it feel like a FC product even while serving wine in a plastic cup. Unfortunately I'm not sure that they get the recognition they deserve from US, however I sense that they do their job right because of their own higher standards not because the company is going to reward them.

I did notice a lot more of this kind of FC service during BK2 and right around merger time. Its been a while since I've had this on US although on a recent AA flight in FC I did have an FA that did this.

Sean
Old Jan 25, 2007, 8:06 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver, UA Premier 1K, AA Gold (MM)
US FO with a Train Engineer's Cap

Originally Posted by mot29
This guy is known to some NW fters because he is also a harmonica player who plays a few bars before making his pre-takeoff announcements.
There's a US FO that wears an old fashioned train engineer's cap instead of his normal pilot's cap. That always makes me laugh.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
I've experienced the "personal thanks" from only one (combined) US employee in the past year. I've been on three flights with this FA and each time he thanked everyone in first for flying and spent an extra little bit with the Plats and CP's. ^

I've only ever seen him between PHX and NoCal destinations on the A319 and I believe he told my seat mate he was based in SMF.

He looks very similar to Daivd Hyde Peirce (Nyles), which is why I recognize him again and again.

It was always nice to see people's reactions as he went around the cabin and he made everyone feel special. Truly a superb ambassador for the airline. Employees like him really dull the pain of flying so much.

(I would have given him an A+B cert if they hadn't been stolen out of my bag during a gate check at PHL F'ed a few months ago - along with a few other things)
Old Jan 25, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by belynch

(I would have given him an A+B cert if they hadn't been stolen out of my bag during a gate check at PHL F'ed a few months ago - along with a few other things)
That's the funniest thing I've read all morning -- a baggage handler stealing A&Bs
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:34 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I had a really funny experience along these lines, as my companion and I (both female) switched seats with two other F PAX (both male) so that none of us was in our originally assigned seats... FA got the names from the manifest, approaches male PAX first and starts with the "would you like a glass of wine, ms. patti..." but got really flustered when she realized she had used the wrong gender greeting. Had a good laugh over that. For the rest of the flight she called all the guys "sunshine" and "missy" and called all the ladies "tough guy".

FWIW I get different levels of service wherever I go. I spend a lot of time at one particular Marriott property near Orlando and one of the desk agents always, always, always calls me by name and gives me an extra special touch, usually something little like actually offering me the candy dish instead of just letting it sit on the counter, but the rest of the crew gives business as usual. Customer service is a really hard line of work to be in. Some people are just naturally born to it--- they love what they do and it shows in how they do it. Those are the ones, day in and day out, that remember your name (or know how to look it up) and use it, and always have a little something special for the customers. I just wish there were more of them!
Old Jan 25, 2007, 3:24 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
You stand a better chance of having your name used if it is an easy name to pronounce...Smith, Turner...but fly out of the northeast and chances are you will only get an attempt at meal order.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USAir CP, United, Continental, Marriott Gold, Starwood, Hilton, Hyatt
"Some people are just naturally born to it--- they love what they do and it shows in how they do it. Those are the ones, day in and day out, that remember your name (or know how to look it up) and use it, and always have a little something special for the customers. I just wish there were more of them!"

I could not agree more!! And it feels so good when I am in the presence of these people.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
I can't think of one time it has happened since they became America West.....

Before the merger it always seemed to be SOP. I also remember a couple times the captain came out and introduced himself to everyone in F on a 757 (usually on the transcons). Had 1 FA, Gwen who was the funniest I ever had. She remembered everyone's names and had the whole F cabin laughing hysterically the whole flight.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by mallthus
There's a US FO that wears an old fashioned train engineer's cap instead of his normal pilot's cap. That always makes me laugh.
And there is a Captain on the HP side who flew me PHX-PHL last week. He was wearing a train engineer's cap. I saw it when I went to the lav before we left the gate. Then he came on the PA prior to departure and blew a train whistle and announced "All aboard." He continued his welcome with all the pertinent info on the flight. I later asked the "A" FA if he had flown with this captain before and he apologized and said "many times... we've asked him to stop the train thing." I thought it was cool.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, there are still some good ones out there who really care. I'm not sure it's a very different percentage from what it was in the '90's, but I notice them more because they stand out much more starkly in the environment. I'd say once every 15-20 flights I see this type of treatment to some degree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.