Wiki Posts
Search

Demographic info for Preferred members

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Demographic info for Preferred members

Out of curiosity, are there reports of Preferred members' demographic information out there? I never see US asking for demographic info about me (other than income and the like, when applying for a credit card, and I assume that the credit card issuer is very limited in what information it can give US).

I would assume that Preferred members would be disproportionately:

(1) Men
(2) Age 30-60
(3) Republican
(4) Upper-middle to upper-income
(5) Located around US hub cities (and NYC and Boston, due to the Shuttle)

I'd be curious to see what others think, and if there is any data to back up this information.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
(1) Men
(2) Age 30-60
(3) Republican

I'd be curious to see what others think...
I think I am all of the above except for one of them.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Well I only fall into 2.5 of the 5 categories and I say .5 because I wouldn't necessarily classify myself republican even though I generally vote that way. Pretty broad age range.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Well I only fall into 2.5 of the 5 categories and I say .5 because I wouldn't necessarily classify myself republican even though I generally vote that way. Pretty broad age range.
I'm 4 of 5. I consider myself unaffiliated for political purposes (hate the idea of political parties and think they are one of the main reasons for many of our problems, but that's a whole other story and very off topic.)
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Interesting hypothesis. I am PHL based and you have nailed me spot on.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
If US has such demographic info, I doubt political affiliation would be one of them ...

I'm 3 out of 5. Registered Independent, and just middle class - not rich, not poor

BTW, Inside Flyer magazine (associated with the same guy who founded FT) has some interesting stats on their FF readers.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Thanks for the responses so far. I am NOT looking for a political discussion; my original post was prompted after a discussion I had on a flight earlier today.

My neighbor on the flight was quite talkative and I was surprised how much we had in common, all of which tied into being Preferred-people who fly a lot with one particular airline would tend to have some similar traits, and those characteristics correlate with other characteristics, I'd think.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I think most would fall in between the middle and upper class. If br curious to see how many are married. I see a lot of elites not wearing a ring!
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
I never answer profile info. for any site. Age? 100.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Got me on 1 and 4ish.

If US has this kind of info and readily uses it, I'm pretty sure they won't release it to the public. DL had a bit of an IT snafu earlier this year where you could see what kind of info they had data mined about you. Granted it is possible for a company to release some customer segment stats without giving away everything, but I'm guessing they will keep this info close to the vest.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Out of curiosity, why would you assume frequent US flyers are predominantly republican?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I'm none of those, but that's what I'd expect to see too -except for the political bias, I know very little about US demographics, but it could be true if we think maybe income is a proxy for going republican?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
This makes me laugh. My wife would divorce me if she thought I was in one of those categories and she will divorce me if I don't get to move out of the boonies. So, two out of five are extremely wrong!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS / CSR / AMEX
Out of curiosity, are there reports of Preferred members' demographic information out there? I never see US asking for demographic info about me (other than income and the like, when applying for a credit card, and I assume that the credit card issuer is very limited in what information it can give US).

I would assume that Preferred members would be disproportionately:

(1) Men
(2) Age 30-60
(3) Republican

I'd be curious to see what others think, and if there is any data to back up this information.
1. Yupp
2. Nope! Still in college, just figured I'd start becoming a ff-er because of all the transcons I have to take
3. Nope
4. How about no income? haha
5. Naw, but there's still a decent amount of flights going into PGH
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: US Gold, Marriott Silver
(1) Men
(2) Age 30-60
(3) Republican
1) Yes
2) Barely (I'm 30)
3) No, but conservative-leaning
4) High end of middle income I would guess
5) Not at all, based in YOW (how many preferred members are there outside of US?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.