Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US Airways matches United's change fee - domestic trips go from $150 to $200

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

Just got a call from a friend letting me know. Hope I'm wrong, but this guy is usually right.

Mike
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:46 am

....and soon AA
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
It's true.

$150 award tickets
$200 domestic, Canada, Central America, the Caribbean and Hawaii
$250 Europe & Middle East
$300 South America

Optional Service Fees
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Hardly surprising. UA followed DL's decision on SDC (which accomplishes roughly the same thing as raising the change fee) and it's entirely expected that US would be #3 and presume that AA will become #4 well before the acquisition by US is complete.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:20 am

You know, if they're going to crank up change fees to $200, it might be time to think about giving status members a bit of a break there. US DM is generous in some respects, but in others, it seems like they've forgotten that a lot of us are flying them frequently and almost exclusively. Given that frequency, our plans are going to change from time to time, and refundable fares are not the answer. I wouldn't complain at all if they gave a break down to $100, or discounted it $50 a level (essentially leaving me with $150 as a Silver).

Delta flies connections to ATL and DTW from here, and suddenly their change fee is $50 cheaper. My upgrade rate would probably go down the chemical toilet, but I'm probably going to start booking my "riskier" trips with them.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Chairman's still gets free award changes though, correct?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
In Phoenix, I have a choice of WN or US. Because of exhorbitant change fees, baggage fees, and a terrible boarding process for non-Elites on US, I've chose WN for all but one trip this year (and that was because a co-worker insisted on flying US).
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
I don't have too much of an institutional memory. How long had the $150 been in place? Why not just offer a no-refund fare class and be done with it?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
You know, if they're going to crank up change fees to $200, it might be time to think about giving status members a bit of a break there. US DM is generous in some respects, but in others, it seems like they've forgotten that a lot of us are flying them frequently and almost exclusively. Given that frequency, our plans are going to change from time to time, and refundable fares are not the answer. I wouldn't complain at all if they gave a break down to $100, or discounted it $50 a level (essentially leaving me with $150 as a Silver).

Delta flies connections to ATL and DTW from here, and suddenly their change fee is $50 cheaper. My upgrade rate would probably go down the chemical toilet, but I'm probably going to start booking my "riskier" trips with them.
With US matching UA, do you really think DL's change fee will stay at $150? I'll bet they match to $200 by the end of next week.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:21 pm
Suspended

But, that's the entire point. When discounted penalty fares were introduced, they weren't meant for regular business travelers. The whole point is to make these fares less attractive to regular flyers and to better differentiate flexible from non-flexible fares.

The absolute last person US wants to help out here is a regular flyer.

Bet AA & DL follow within 30 days.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott-SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
I'd like to see the airlines have to pay us the same $200 change fee whenever they make a schedule change more than 3 hours. Pretty much our only recourse now is refund of the ticket or accept whatever accommodations the airline is willing to give us. The playing field isn't level.

I'd love to see the DOT go after the airlines for this.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 12:59 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Often1
But, that's the entire point. When discounted penalty fares were introduced, they weren't meant for regular business travelers. The whole point is to make these fares less attractive to regular flyers and to better differentiate flexible from non-flexible fares.

The absolute last person US wants to help out here is a regular flyer.
Of course, the disconnect now is that many corporate travel policies for "regular business travelers" require the lowest available fare to be purchased and do not allow for flexible fares if cheaper options are available.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lemfc
I don't have too much of an institutional memory. How long had the $150 been in place? Why not just offer a no-refund fare class and be done with it?
United took the change fee from $100 to $150 in 2007.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ange-fee-by-50
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dw
Of course, the disconnect now is that many corporate travel policies for "regular business travelers" require the lowest available fare to be purchased and do not allow for flexible fares if cheaper options are available.
And it's exactly those policies which have now caused the change fees to be increased. I forsee three versions of fares within the next 18-24 months:

1. Fully flexible
2. Flexible with Change Penalty (the current $150-200 domestic)
3. Deep discount - No changes permitted (you fly the segments as originally ticketed or lose the value of the ticket).

That's existed in various forms in the past and DL is experimenting with it for its E fares.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I wonder if tickets purchased before today are subject to the old change fees?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.