Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: Is an American Airlines/US Airways merger good for the traveling public?
Yes
28.19%
No
71.81%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: aztimm
Note:

There is an existing thread in the AA forum that may be useful to US and AA Flyertalkers:
US-AA Merger: Just the Facts thread

As facts become posted, that should be the place to look.

Merger discussion, speculation, and other questions can be directed here, or the similar thread in the AA forum:
MERGER: US and AA 9 Dec 2013 and implications for AA flyers (new)

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement / DOJ Action Discussion (consolidated, and now closed to new posts)
Print Wikipost

US/AA merger- MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD/incl 'when will US leave STAR'

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:12 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Flying Gator
I know they announced it but I'm now wondering if it is fixed in stone? Otherwise why would Fernand Fernandez be sending out surveys asking how happy customers are with Star Alliance? Surveys are expensive.

Why would they care if they were leaving that alliance? I am hoping they are reconsidering their options.
I don't know what crack yer smokin', but email surveys are most certainly not expensive at all They've been sending out those surveys fairly frequently at least for the last month and a half.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by flight62
I promise you the New American will be with One World. AA is a founding airline just like United is with Star. You didn't see the new United switch to CAL's alliance and you won't see the switch at American.
Parker commented some time ago that AA will be in Oneworld. That has not been in question for some time now. UA and CO were already both part of STAR before they ever merged, so there was nothing to decide there.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by austin_res
They may have announced the new American plans to be in OneWorld, but it's just a plan. Plans are subject to change in the airline industry. Until US Airways formally joins OneWorld it is not official. With that said, it is unlikely the new AA would be in Star Alliance as I doubt the feds would approve having UA and AA in the same alliance.
This will be one "plan" that goes threw. I know some dont like that US will be leaving STAR, but it wont change that decision. AA could never join STAR because of competing JV's and ATI's between they and UA. AA also derives far more benefit from Oneworld then US does via STAR in terms of over all partnerships and revenue. Folks will just have to accept that or switch carriers.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:43 pm

Question merger with AA

Is this a better than usual time to sign up for the US Airways credit card if I'm trying to amass more AA miles? Will the US Air miles combine with my AA miles when the merger happens?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy
Is this a better than usual time to sign up for the US Airways credit card if I'm trying to amass more AA miles? Will the US Air miles combine with my AA miles when the merger happens?
Yes they will combine. Good time to sign up for the credit card, you'll have to figure that math out yourself. Airline credit cards are rarely a good deal period if it's not paid off in full every month. They are not to carry balances on. Then you have to look at the annual fee etc.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by iowa guy
I got my US Airways and AA credit cards. Looking forward to seeing the new AA combines the miles between 2 accounts.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by LAKnight
I got my US Airways and AA credit cards. Looking forward to seeing the new AA combines the miles between 2 accounts.
The credit card companies themselves will not combine programs. Just any miles you have accrued in your US DM's account will transfer to AA at a date to be announced in the future. Now which credit card company keeps the FF relationship remains to be seen. It's likely to be Citi, but it's not a given which one yet will be chosen. At some date you will not be eligible to earn miles with both creditors for purchases.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:17 am

Is the 40k bonus points for signing up for the US AIR credit card about the best offer you've seen from them?
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:14 pm

Doug Parker was in Philly yesterday doing a dog-and-pony show around the merger - some interesting points from this article - http://www.philly.com/philly/busines..._American.html

- Doug went bowling here in Philly with employees (for context here in Philly there are 2 two-trendy (as in bar/food/environment) bowling centers - but that just reeks of corporate "hey look although we wear suits we can be cool too")
- combined the two frequent flyer programs have 100 MILLION members (that number boggles my mind)
- JFK is 60% more expensive to run flights out of than PHL
- AA/US is still going to fight the new runway at PHL
- At DCA AA/US controls 2/3s of the slots but only 50% of the flights (I don't get this, does this mean AA/US is not fully utilizing their slots?)
Old Mar 27, 2013, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by peetahvw
Doug Parker was in Philly yesterday doing a dog-and-pony show around the merger - some interesting points from this article - http://www.philly.com/philly/busines..._American.html

- Doug went bowling here in Philly with employees (for context here in Philly there are 2 two-trendy (as in bar/food/environment) bowling centers - but that just reeks of corporate "hey look although we wear suits we can be cool too")
- combined the two frequent flyer programs have 100 MILLION members (that number boggles my mind)
- JFK is 60% more expensive to run flights out of than PHL
- At DCA AA/US controls 2/3s of the slots but only 50% of the flights (I don't get this, does this mean AA/US is not fully utilizing their slots?)
The exact sentence in the article says "The new American would have two-thirds of the slots at Reagan airport, but 50 percent of the flights and airplane seats." I'm wondering if they didn't really mean to include "flights" in that statement, because 2/3 of the slots with only 50% of the passengers is plausible, given the high number of 50 seat aircraft in use with those slots.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by peetahvw
The published quote:
"We were just questioning some of the demand projections the city was using. We've agreed to work together on that. The merger should allow for more growth in Philadelphia, but we'll have to see if there is enough growth to justify another runway."

BTW, these are the $734M worth of items Parker and Mayor Nutter have already formally agreed to proceed with:

- A 1,500 foot extension of runway 9L-27R that increases the total runway length to 12,000 feet, providing the capability to accommodate large, long-haul aircraft flying to any point on the globe;
- A redesigned and enhanced Terminal B and C ticketing area , which will include a new, automated baggage handling and screening system and a new, more spacious, centralized passenger security screening checkpoint to provide for greater efficiency and enhanced passenger flow;
- Replacement of the current rental car facility surface lots with a new, multi-story consolidated rental car facility;
- An initial design for an automated people-mover system between concourses that will make it easier for passengers to connect to other flights;
- Airside improvements to include new taxiway/aircraft holding bays/apron to better queue for departure;
- Continued rehabilitation of other existing airport infrastructure projects to include security upgrades, roof and window replacements, escalator upgrades, airport restrooms, roadways, concession programs and flight information display system.

Last edited by perseus11; Mar 27, 2013 at 5:32 pm Reason: Added
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
So, reported on CNN today, the Bankruptcy Court has said that one part of the merger is invalid: The $20 million "golden parachute" for the AA CEO. Could this possible screw the deal?

Another news source I've found online for this is...
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ensation.html/

CNN's story is just on TV for now, not on their website.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 4:56 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by grahampros
Parker commented some time ago that AA will be in Oneworld. That has not been in question for some time now. UA and CO were already both part of STAR before they ever merged, so there was nothing to decide there.
Yes, I stand corrected. CO had already made the switch. Regardless, The new American will be One World.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:00 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
So, reported on CNN today, the Bankruptcy Court has said that one part of the merger is invalid: The $20 million "golden parachute" for the AA CEO. Could this possible screw the deal?

Another news source I've found online for this is...
http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...ensation.html/

CNN's story is just on TV for now, not on their website.
The merger is approved. AA tried to put the condition on the approval that Horton be paid out. The judge said no. Tomorrow he will have his final words about that. Supposedly, it will be ruled that the new American board will have to make that decision.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/...ook-like%22%7D
Old Mar 27, 2013, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by flight62
The merger is approved. AA tried to put the condition on the approval that Horton be paid out. The judge said no. Tomorrow he will have his final words about that. Supposedly, it will be ruled that the new American board will have to make that decision.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/business/...ook-like%22%7D
One hurdle down ( not at all unexpected) but still a ways to go. This ruling was only necessary since AA is still in BK. Now the DOJ and the EU etc have to approve, but no big issues expected there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.