2012 Hurricane Sandy and impacts on US Airways

Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
2012 Hurricane Sandy and impacts on US Airways

I have a flight on Mon night, CHS-CLT-PVD, was looking online and noticed that US issued a travel advisory and suggested rebooking Before or after the Storm. I tried to change the flight to Sunday online but it seems that even though the change fee is waived they still are making me pay the fare difference. Ugh, I picked Mon instead of Sun orignally because I didn't want to pay more.

Guess I might look at Thurs instead or just wait and see what happens on Monday.

Last edited by ellinj; Oct 26, 2012 at 1:31 pm
Old Oct 26, 2012, 1:07 pm

The official advisory is for 29th-31st for most of the Northeast. Flights may be changed to the 26th through 28th, or November 1st through 4th.

http://www.usairways.com/TravelCenter/Advisories.aspx

It is annoying that they're still making you pay the difference in fare, which will affect almost everyone who bought anything but full Y. The only other option is to wait for your flight to be cancelled for real.

PHL will probably be a mess (well, even more than usual) with it dead in the middle of the predicted storm track.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:58 pm

Waiver for fare difference for flight change due to weather?

I'm flying LGA-CLT-GNV on Wednesday afternoon. Needless to say, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get cancelled because of the impending hurricane.

Just checked the US change waiver policy for this weather event, and it seems like I still have to pay the fare difference. I'd like to change to a Thursday flight, but I'd have to pay an extra $120.

Has anyone ever had any luck with US waiving the fare difference? Or am I out of luck?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
You could always take a risk and have them change it for you when they cancel the flight.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 6:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I assume they'll evacuate the fleet from most of the affected areas - certainly PHL and maybe DCA too - and I'm hoping my 10am Monday flight is a go.

With Irene I got the last MCO-PHL prior to the storm shutdown and the A320 operating it was the last aircraft out to ORD. Hoping for similar luck this time.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: USAir Chairman
I'm due to travel PHL to London on Monday night in Envoy. Weather forecasts are little help. Any thoughts on whether I should stick with Monday flight or change to the Tuesday one (still availability in Envoy). Perhaps neither will go?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by marketingmom
I'm due to travel PHL to London on Monday night in Envoy. Weather forecasts are little help. Any thoughts on whether I should stick with Monday flight or change to the Tuesday one (still availability in Envoy). Perhaps neither will go?
I would imagine that Monday will go. They have every incentive not to cancel a flight such as this. And what do you have to lose, really, by planning on a Monday departure? Tuesday could be as much as a gamble (in advance).
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I would imagine that Monday will go. They have every incentive not to cancel a flight such as this. And what do you have to lose, really, by planning on a Monday departure? Tuesday could be as much as a gamble (in advance).
Yep, that's been my thinking. My only hesitancy was I'd be less likely to get my biz class seats if I wait and see. No way to predict...
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'm on SEA-PHL monday 11:30-19:30.
It is a bit ridiculous that we have to pay fare difference.
Based on weather forecasts, it sounds like I am all but guaranteed to get canceled
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:07 am

I'm on the PHL/LHR flight on Monday as well, also in Envoy! We're actually thinking of changing to Sunday, but there's no Envoy and we'd have to pay the difference. It's looking like it's going to be the worst right around Monday night. We've been through this so many times as my family lives in the tropics and we frequently travel there in Sept. I've seen flights go to SJU that I never thought would go. It's such a guessing game.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by kimharp
I'm on the PHL/LHR flight on Monday as well, also in Envoy! We're actually thinking of changing to Sunday, but there's no Envoy and we'd have to pay the difference. It's looking like it's going to be the worst right around Monday night. We've been through this so many times as my family lives in the tropics and we frequently travel there in Sept. I've seen flights go to SJU that I never thought would go. It's such a guessing game.
Are you considering Tuesday?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I am just going to wait and see what happens. There is a pretty big fare difference to change to tomorrow. Ideally I would like to change to Wednesday but that isn't an allowed option at this point.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by marketingmom
Are you considering Tuesday?
Yes, we are. Just not sure when to bite the bullet and make the call. We were going to see how the predictions were looking later today before deciding. If we wait til Tuesday though, it makes more sense to just see if the flight is canceled. I haven't yet investigated the fare difference between Sun., Mon., and Tuesday, have you? It looks like there are a lot of seats on all the flights, just not in Envoy :-).
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM; US GP; Fairmont PL; HHonors DM; Hyatt GP Diamond; Hertz President's Circle
What happens if US cancels the flight?

I am scheduled to fly into DCA and SYR on Monday afternoon for a Tuesday business meeting in SYR. The waiver doesn't help me as any change to the meeting will mean it is not rescheduled for later this week, but rather later in November. If US cancels, am I entitled to a refund instead of a reschedule?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by kimharp
Yes, we are. Just not sure when to bite the bullet and make the call. We were going to see how the predictions were looking later today before deciding. If we wait til Tuesday though, it makes more sense to just see if the flight is canceled. I haven't yet investigated the fare difference between Sun., Mon., and Tuesday, have you? It looks like there are a lot of seats on all the flights, just not in Envoy :-).
No haven't checked. This is business travel so a bit less worried about fees. Would be so nice if we could get out as planned. Don't want to do Sunday flight. Been away from family a lot of late and really don't want to add another day to my trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.