Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can i skip the first leg of flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Can i skip the first leg of flight?

Assuming that I skip/miss the first leg of these flight itinerary below (AAA - BBB), will my subsequent flights be all auto cancel? Meaning , can I only board on 7 Jan (BBB-CCC) and return on 1 Feb (CCC-AAA). I don't want the first leg (AAA-BBB). My ticket is from award ticket and all flights are within same airline. Thanks! Sorry English is not my first language. Hope you guys understand what i mean.

1 Jan : AAA - BBB
7 Jan : BBB - CCC

1 Feb : CCC - BBB
1 Feb : BBB - AAA
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by markus_see
Assuming that I skip/miss the first leg of these flight itinerary below (AAA - BBB), will my subsequent flights be all auto cancel? Meaning , can I only board on 7 Jan (BBB-CCC) and return on 1 Feb (CCC-AAA). I don't want the first leg (AAA-BBB). My ticket is from award ticket and all flights are within same airline. Thanks! Sorry English is not my first language. Hope you guys understand what i mean.

What airline? US Airways?

If all legs were booked at the same time (as one ticket), you can't skip the first leg without having the rest auto-cancel.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:08 am

Your entire reservation will be cancelled if you miss a leg.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by will2288
Your entire reservation will be cancelled if you miss a leg.
+1
The only way missing a leg would not be problem is if it is the last leg of the trip.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

The airline is OZ Asiana. I guess I have to cancel my whole ticket and re-book it. Damn.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
If this is an award ticket you could TRY calling the airline and ask them to drop the first flight.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Just out of curiosity, does this rule apply to any sector/leg of the flight itinerary?

By using the same sample itinerary below, IF i drop/skip BBB-CCC or/and CCC-BBB, the subsequent flight after that missing leg will be cancel?
Meaning.... I am hoping to board only AAA - BBB on 1 Jan and BBB - AAA on 1 Feb even though I have mistakenly made reservation as per below.

Thanks! You guys are the best!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 7:57 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by geo1005
If this is an award ticket you could TRY calling the airline and ask them to drop the first flight.
If thus is indeed an award ticket, this is great advice. It will likely cost $150 to make the change, but you may get lucky and have an agent simply drop a segment at no charge (although I wouldn't count on that!).
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: US Airways SP, AAdvanage, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Gold, more to come
If you skip any sector/leg, it'll auto-cancel the rest of the itinerary. So if you take AAA-BBB, and BBB-CCC, and skip CCC-BBB, then the last one will still be cancelled.
Itineraries are meant to be flown sequentially. Missing one item out of the sequence will automatically cancel the rest, short of a flight being missed/cancelled by the airline that is.

Originally Posted by markus_see
Just out of curiosity, does this rule apply to any sector/leg of the flight itinerary?

By using the same sample itinerary below, IF i drop/skip BBB-CCC or/and CCC-BBB, the subsequent flight after that missing leg will be cancel?
Meaning.... I am hoping to board only AAA - BBB on 1 Jan and BBB - AAA on 1 Feb even though I have mistakenly made reservation as per below.

Thanks! You guys are the best!
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:22 am

Programs: All of them
I learned this lesson the hard way. Even if it's the airline's fault that you miss a leg, all subsequent legs might be cancelled.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: US Airways SP, AAdvanage, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Gold, more to come
: That's very true. If it's the airline's fault (for example you're flying on DL and they rebook you on say LH, not a partner or same alliance) you have to make sure they fix your itinerary so the missed flight doesn't cancel the rest of your itinerary.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:32 pm

Don't want to open new thread as mine question is similar:
I need to fly from Honolulu (HNL) to Charlotte (CLT) one way and have first leg with Hawaiian Air, all searches give you very bad prices or connections but when I tried HNL to Greenville (GSP) it gives me 2 stop flight, one in CLT and reaosnable price (I need 3 tickets) about $1880 for all 3(HNL-PHX-CLT-GSP). Funny thing that there's no flight HNL to CLT same way as they rount it for GSP...

So I start to think if I can book it and skip last leg.

Does US Airways do something if this happen? I think I need to do it with carry on only as I doubt that fligh will take of with some bags without owner (had this situation befor and untill they found bag's owner we all were waiting...). Do they reprice all as well?

Last edited by vetaldj; Aug 1, 2012 at 6:39 pm
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by vetaldj
Don't want to open new thread as mine question is similar:
I need to fly from Honolulu (HNL) to Charlotte (CLT) one way, all searches give you very bad prices or connections but when I tried HNL to Greenville (GSP) it gives me 2 stop flight, one in CLT and reaosnable price (I need 3 tickets) about $1880 for all 3.
So I start to think if I can book it and skip last leg.
Does US Airways do something if this happen? I think I need to do it with carry on only as I doubt that fligh will take of with some bags without owner (had this situation befor and untill they found bag's owner we all were waiting...). Do they reprice all as well?
Skipping the last leg is much easier, and done occasionally by many here, for exactly the same reason you cited. As long as you don't make a habit of it, US will not "come after you" for more money after the fact. And yes, you should avoid checking luggage.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:58 pm

Oh well, I'd rather ship those 3 pieces of laggage we are going to take and go with this route...

Another thing - did anybody tried it with checked in bags? Will they drop them off in CLT if we not board or they are going straigh to GSP? Or, lets rephrase, will I be able to get them after all (I'm even ready to drive 1 h and be there prior to plan as it's 1 h drive and flight has 3 h connection time).
Old Aug 1, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by vetaldj
Oh well, I'd rather ship those 3 pieces of laggage we are going to take and go with this route...

Another thing - did anybody tried it with checked in bags? Will they drop them off in CLT if we not board or they are going straigh to GSP? Or, lets rephrase, will I be able to get them after all (I'm even ready to drive 1 h and be there prior to plan as it's 1 h drive and flight has 3 h connection time).
Your bags will go to the final destination GSP even if you get off at CLT. Airlines generally don't match bags to passengers on domestic flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.