Wiki Posts
Search

DYKWIA Taken Off USAir Flight 2038 from DCA to BOS and Arrested

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
DYKWIA Taken Off USAir Flight 2038 from DCA to BOS and Arrested

My fiance just got off this flight and told me what happened. Said that they decided to board the plane by row number instead of by status since it was a shuttle service. DYKWIA tried to board in the first boarding group (rows 18 and higher). Gate agent said...no, please step aside I am only boarding rows 18 and higher. Guys says well I'm Chairman and I should be able to board now.

GA tells the guy...did you not hear my announcement? (Yes he heard it...he didn't care)

DYKWIA stands aside by the boarding door and the GA says sir you need to move. Guy steps aside one step. She tells him again he needs to move away from the boarding door. This goes on for a few minutes as she is trying to get people on the plane.

He tries to board AGAIN in the wrong boarding group and she refused him again. He AGAIN stands by the boarding door. Finally the GA says put your body on the other side of these stanchions . He complies.

Finally his turn to board but by this time the overheads were full. She said he had to check his bag. He argued and said that both his bags could fit under the seat in front of him. She gave him the "Really?" look and said here's a bag tag, it's going under.

My fiance boards and sits and she hears a commotion on the jet way and yelling. They DYKWIA gets on board and sits. About 5 min later the DC cops come on the plane with the GA and the GA points to the guy and says..that's him...he pushed me against the wall.

Have fun in jail...idiot. I'm sure they have a special place for Chairman status in jail

Mods: please move this thread to where you may think it is appropriate
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:13 pm

Programs: *G
it might be I_Hate_US_Airways and now we see the reason why
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Right up until I read the part about the guy assaulting a GA, I was thinking he was actually in the right and the GA was in the wrong. I haven't flown Shuttle in a long time, but I always thought they followed normal boarding protocol for those flights. Maybe that's changed in recent years? Perhaps because some overwhelmingly high percentage of Shuttle travelers have a high elite status?

If the guy did in fact assault a GA and is convicted of such, then I don't really have any sympathy for him. No excuse for that...anyone who flies enough to reach Chairman should know nothing good is going to come from shoving an airline employee. That's going to get you arrested fast, regardless of whether you previously had a valid point or not.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by pinniped
I haven't flown Shuttle in a long time, but I always thought they followed normal boarding protocol for those flights.
Nope.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:24 pm

The guy was a jerk, but the GA should've let him board. Really horrible customer service on her part. If I flew as much as a Chairman, I'd be upset too.

Honestly, since he got arrested, I hope she gets fired.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Avis President's Club
US Shuttle is F first, then by row. If they were smart they would stop printing the zone numbers on the shuttle BP's.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by artemis021
The guy was a jerk, but the GA should've let him board. Really horrible customer service on her part. If I flew as much as a Chairman, I'd be upset too.
Why is it horrible customer service to enforce the rules?

Elite status with an airline entitles you to certain special privileges as determined by the airline. It does not entitle you to demand your own privileges.

I would give her a prize.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:39 pm

Honestly, since he got arrested, I hope she gets fired.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:43 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Sounds like there are several good reasons in this story to avoid the USAir Sh*ttle.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by cbn42
Why is it horrible customer service to enforce the rules?

Elite status with an airline entitles you to certain special privileges as determined by the airline. It does not entitle you to demand your own privileges.

I would give her a prize.
I believe-and correct me if I'm wrong-that one of the published benefits of being a Chairman's is that you do get priority boarding. That *is* the rule. And that goes double for an airline with as many financial problems as US!
US Airways just lost and humiliated a loyal customer because, ultimately, they didn't give that member published benefits.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I believe-and correct me if I'm wrong-that one of the published benefits of being a Chairman's is that you do get priority boarding.
I have a hard time believing that this is a published rule.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by magiciansampras
I have a hard time believing that this is a published rule.
From usairways.com:

Priority dual-lane boarding, available at over 60 airports, allows you to be seated faster and get first dibs on overhead bin space. Rather than wait for a specific zone, you can skip the line even if you get to the gate late. (Priority dual-lane boarding is not provided at all airports, by all airlines.)
Presumably they would say that priority boarding wasn't available for that flight? But it would still be horrible customer service. There's no reason not to let their most loyal customers board with F.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:01 pm

already stated.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:12 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the US Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 30, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
US Airways just lost and humiliated a loyal customer because, ultimately, they didn't give that member published benefits.
Alternatively you could say they lost a violent (and hopefully convicted) criminal. My heart doesn't exactly bleed for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.