Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

The US Airways /American Airlines merger-related thread (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

The more, the merrier:

Delta Air Lines Inc., US Airways Group Inc. and private-equity firm TPG Capital are separately assessing possible bids for American Airlines parent AMR Corp., with hopes that AMR's troubles presents another opportunity for airline consolidation, people familiar with the matter said.

Source: WSJ.com
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:49 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by lt1GM
The more, the merrier:

Delta Air Lines Inc., US Airways Group Inc. and private-equity firm TPG Capital are separately assessing possible bids for American Airlines parent AMR Corp., with hopes that AMR's troubles presents another opportunity for airline consolidation, people familiar with the matter said.

Source: WSJ.com
Bidding as in hostile takeover or "merger of equal"?

LAX
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by LAX
Bidding as in hostile takeover or "merger of equal"?

LAX
Aren't those the same thing in most cases?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Ha! But I don't think a bankrupt airline is in a position to claim equality in a merger.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Yet AMR has more cash, more assets and a cleaner balance sheet than US. Not to mention that post-BK AMR will be in an even stronger financial position.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Ask a TWA employee
Old Jan 12, 2012, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DillMan
Yet AMR has more cash, more assets and a cleaner balance sheet than US. Not to mention that post-BK AMR will be in an even stronger financial position.
Exactly. When US tried to take over DL (prior to being rebuffed), US stock was valuable. Much more valuable than today. These days, LCC is barely above "Ch 11 may be on the horizon" value, meaning that the only currency US could offer the creditors would be borrowed money. AA cleans up its debt problem only to have Doug Parker borrow billions to take over AA as it exits Ch 11? I don't see anyone thinking that's the best alternative.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Extra! Extra! Read all about it! This just in: Sidewalks get wet in the rain.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
American is not unlike Eastern or PanAm before their demise - once proud and powerful but now without much prestige or value. Not to say they can't turn it around because the comeptition has been winnowed but unless something changes the AA brand is past its prime. UACO and DL are much stronger brands today. Not sure why anyone would pay too much for AA but we will see.

Also, it is doubtful that the feds would allow a DL/AA merger; they did the right thing with AT&T/T-Mobile so we should expect Obama to pick the side of the consumer. If another adminstration takes office it is anyone's guess.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
Also, it is doubtful that the feds would allow a DL/AA merger; they did the right thing with AT&T/T-Mobile so we should expect Obama to pick the side of the consumer. If another adminstration takes office it is anyone's guess.
This is my thought which I touched on in some other thread. Although there are more than four airlines remaining, there are only four legacy carriers (if you truly wish to consider US a legacy since it was HP that swallowed them). Just like four nationwide mobile phone providers shrinking to three was seen as bad for consumers, four legacies shrinking to three would probably be seen in a similar light.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
While US/AA would work, I can't see DL/AA passing muster - just too big and probably putting the nail in US's coffin, leading to 2 major carriers.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 3:26 am

Programs: US Airways Silver
Having worked in M&A I'd be very circumspect regarding post-merger integration, US still has issues with contracts since America West
Old Jan 13, 2012, 4:14 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Exactly. When US tried to take over DL (prior to being rebuffed), US stock was valuable. Much more valuable than today. These days, LCC is barely above "Ch 11 may be on the horizon" value, meaning that the only currency US could offer the creditors would be borrowed money. AA cleans up its debt problem only to have Doug Parker borrow billions to take over AA as it exits Ch 11? I don't see anyone thinking that's the best alternative.
As much as it would tickle you and others for US Airways to go under or file another Chapter 11, they are no where near that. If Delta wants to spend billions to eliminate another competitor, that's fine with me. For every merger that happens, the industry gets stronger. And I think my 25 years in this industry gives me just a little experience to know that.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
US has hired Millstein and Barclays to help with evaluating a bid.

Jim Millstein, a longtime restructuring banker who most recently oversaw the Treasury Department’s turnaround of American International Group Inc., and Barclays have been advising US Airways while American’s parent company, AMR Corp., works through bankruptcy proceedings, the people said.

Any bid for AMR is likely many months away and would hinge on AMR’s ability to use the Chapter 11 process to chop its labor costs, shed unwanted aircraft and mark down its contracts with suppliers, people familiar with the matter said. AMR filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in late November.

Still, rivals are circling the airline and assessing strategic options. US Airways finds a combination with AMR compelling, said a person familiar with the matter, but is waiting for AMR to tackle its bankruptcy issues before making any formal proposals about a tie-up.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:56 pm
Suspended

If successful, the new airline name should be TWA. American is a 2nd choice. US Airways is not a very prestigous name, though better than America West.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.