Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Update: As of 22 Dec 2014, Trial Preferred is no longer accepting new enrollments. If you're currently enrolled in Trial Preferred, you'll continue to receive Preferred benefits and accrue toward status through the remainder of your Trial period. Your 2015 Preferred status earned through Trial will transfer to AAdvantage once we combine the programs in the second quarter of 2015.

========================================
Try Preferred status on for size <Link>

Are you new to Dividend Miles? Enjoy the benefits of Preferred status now through the Trial Preferred program. Get priority check-in and boarding, unlimited upgrades to First Class and more during your 90-day trial period.

Here's how to get Preferred status

Choose and purchase your level of Preferred status, then fly with US. It's that easy to get all the benefits of Preferred status.

Learn more about Preferred

Upgrade to Preferred

Preferred status / cost Silver – $200 Gold – $400 Platinum – $600

Then, over the next 90 days, fly a minimum number of miles on flights operated by US Airways or American Airlines to keep your Preferred status through February 29, 2016. If your trial began on or before June 30, 2014, you'll maintain your Preferred status through February 28, 2015.

• Silver: Fly 7,500 miles or 10 segments
  • Gold: Fly 15,000 miles or 20 segments
  • Platinum: Fly 22,500 miles or 30 segments
  • Chairman's: Fly 30,000 miles or 40 segments

The Trial Preferred program is the quickest way to get to Preferred status. Just enroll online to try Preferred on for size today.

Enroll in Tral Preferred

Terms & Conditions

This program is available only to non-Preferred members. Dividend Miles members must fly a minimum number of miles or segments to keep Preferred status for the remainder of the program year. Bonus miles earned based on class of service do not count toward Preferred status. Members may enroll in the Trial Preferred program only once in any consecutive 12-month period. Members who did not requalify for Preferred status for the current year are not eligible to participate in the Trial Preferred program. Only elite-qualifying miles earned on flights operated by US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines and American Eagle can be applied toward the Trial Preferred program. The program participation fee is non-refundable. Federal excise tax of 7.5% will be added to the purchase price. Only bookings made after the member's status has been upgraded reflect his or her new status. Preferred status earned through the Trial Preferred program is only valid in the Dividend Miles program through February 29, 2016 for members who purchased Trial Preferred after June 30, 2014. Members who purchased Trial Preferred on or before June 30, 2014 will retain their earned Preferred status through February 28, 2015. Associated First Class upgrade benefits are based on availability and only available on US Airways and US Airways Express-operated flights.

Wiki updated 7 Dec 2014
Print Wikipost

Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Trial Preferred Status (merged) [Master Thread]

Hi there, first I must thank everyone for the unbelievable amount of info you all share.

I just accepted a temporary position on the east coast and live on the west coast. I'll mainly be flying between LAX and PHL, at least twice per month, for four years. Using your help, I decided to do the Trial Preferred program. I started the program on Nov. 28 at the Silver level and have about 7200 preferred miles (BIS) so far. I'll easily make gold, possibly platinum.

My question is about getting close to PP or even CP. If I am close to one of the next higher levels, would I be allowed to buy up to the next level, up to 22,500 or 30,000? Or would I just stay at the level I achieved and have to reach the next regular level by earning BIS miles after the trial is over, up to 75,000 or 100,000?

I'm trying to find if I should just do a mileage run before my trial is over since it will take exponentially longer to earn the miles to reach the next level after the trial period is up.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by aztimm; Jan 1, 2011 at 9:14 am Reason: changed thread title
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
You can buy any level you want but the price of the buy-up program is based on your BIS miles, not your status. The buy-up is based on the full requirement and not the trial mileage requirement. So if you do a Trial Preferred and fly 15k miles to reach Gold (or whatever the exact mileage requirement is), you would need to buy up to CP based on 85k, or, the 100k minimum for CP minus the 15k you have already flown. PP you'd need to buy up for 60k (75k requirement minus yout 15k already flown). You don't get any break on buying the higher tiers based on anything you do on the trials and you can't buy at the trial status mileage levels.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:32 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
To paraphrase Patti above, the buy-up makes no sense in the trial.

Do MR's to get to the next level. There are fares from LAX to BOS, for example, in the $240 to $260 ai range that will get you about 5200 or 5600 PQM's depending on your routing. If you register and can get it in before the end of December you can get the BOS double-up for over 10k PQM's.

You said that you will be flying LAX-PHL at least twice a month. That is about 30k PQM's (and then CP) right there. If you end up being a little short just take a joy ride. Don't buy up in the trial.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, that makes sense.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Wait. I thought the trial preferred program was $200 to move up each level from your current one (CP level status excluded). So if you're a general member, you can pay $200 for silver, $400 for gold, and $600 for platinum for the 90 day period. HOWEVER, the status you'll end up with (after 90 days) is determined by the amount of flying you did in that period. So if you paid $200 to become trial silver and flew 22,500 miles in those 90 days, you'll end up with platinum status. And subsequently, if you paid $600 for platinum status, and only flew 15,000 miles, you'll end up as a gold.

BTW, to the OP, if you're going to be doing LAX-PHL flights and are looking for upgrades... when I was a platinum, that was the one route that I could never get an upgrade on unless it was on a Wed or Sat.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Wait. I thought the trial preferred program was $200 to move up each level from your current one (CP level status excluded). So if you're a general member, you can pay $200 for silver, $400 for gold, and $600 for platinum for the 90 day period. HOWEVER, the status you'll end up with (after 90 days) is determined by the amount of flying you did in that period. So if you paid $200 to become trial silver and flew 22,500 miles in those 90 days, you'll end up with platinum status. And subsequently, if you paid $600 for platinum status, and only flew 15,000 miles, you'll end up as a gold.

BTW, to the OP, if you're going to be doing LAX-PHL flights and are looking for upgrades... when I was a platinum, that was the one route that I could never get an upgrade on unless it was on a Wed or Sat.
Yes, that's how I understood it. I only paid for Silver ($200) so I only get the benefits of Silver during the trial until I fly enough miles to reach the next level.

Yes, the only upgrades I've received so far were on red eyes.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
follow up ?

OK I bought up to Silver and flew 6 segemnts in the last 6 weeks, total miles are 7350 so I am 150 BIS miles short but two flights were o Boston double up special that gave me PQM doubled. Do the bonus PQM count towards the 7500 and if so I am at almost 10L PQM and hit it. By the way, My Upgrades as Silver preferred were 2/6.

I will post later a more detailed report but I made upgrades on BOS-LAS and BOS- CLT but not LAS-BOS Red Eye, CLT-TPA, TPA- DCA or DCA_BOS

Originally Posted by airgator
To paraphrase Patti above, the buy-up makes no sense in the trial.

Do MR's to get to the next level. There are fares from LAX to BOS, for example, in the $240 to $260 ai range that will get you about 5200 or 5600 PQM's depending on your routing. If you register and can get it in before the end of December you can get the BOS double-up for over 10k PQM's.

You said that you will be flying LAX-PHL at least twice a month. That is about 30k PQM's (and then CP) right there. If you end up being a little short just take a joy ride. Don't buy up in the trial.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 8:55 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by Fanjet
HOWEVER, the status you'll end up with (after 90 days) is determined by the amount of flying you did in that period. So if you paid $200 to become trial silver and flew 22,500 miles in those 90 days, you'll end up with platinum status. And subsequently, if you paid $600 for platinum status, and only flew 15,000 miles, you'll end up as a gold.
Will the flown status (i.ex. 22.500 miles for platinum) be applied asap i've reached this peek (i.ex. after 22 days) or will it change by the end of the trial (90 days)?
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Will the flown status (i.ex. 22.500 miles for platinum) be applied asap i've reached this peek (i.ex. after 22 days) or will it change by the end of the trial (90 days)?
I think they do a sweep every 30 days (from your original sign-up date). But don't hold me to that. However, since 22.5K is the threashold max, I would call them after those EQMs post and tell them to refresh your account.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by barney44
OK I bought up to Silver and flew 6 segemnts in the last 6 weeks, total miles are 7350 so I am 150 BIS miles short but two flights were o Boston double up special that gave me PQM doubled. Do the bonus PQM count towards the 7500 and if so I am at almost 10L PQM and hit it. By the way, My Upgrades as Silver preferred were 2/6.

I will post later a more detailed report but I made upgrades on BOS-LAS and BOS- CLT but not LAS-BOS Red Eye, CLT-TPA, TPA- DCA or DCA_BOS
No doubling of Pqm on trial preferred. You'll see the doubled values in your Year to Date balance but it does not count twice for the 7500 mile challenge.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
When I was on the free Silver trial (buy a ticket and you're elite!), my status immediately turned to Gold as soon as my 15,000th mile posted.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 8:35 am

Programs: US CP, DL GM, HH Dia, MR G
The two posts immediately above from DCPatti and jrpaguia are correct. I went through this myself. Only BIS miles count in the trial - no bonus PQM's of any type count. You are silver right away but will be bumped to GP and PP as soon as you achieve those levels. This status bump will occur within a week or so. The 30 day sweep is simply an email from US telling you how you are doing in the trial.

Depending on your flying patterns don't forget to evaluate whether segments may work better for you, 10 segments to silver and so on.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Thank you for your replies! I will check it out. Good that i found this thread here. Did not know, that you can upgrade the status by flying more miles or segments, despite the buyed trial status
Old Dec 29, 2010, 4:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion | SPG Gold
"Try Preferred Status" (merged) [Master Thread]

Just saw this on USAirways.com

https://membership.usairways.com/en-...preferred.html

It looks like you can only do this every 24 months but it seems like a crazy easy way to make elite status on US Airways. How does this impact availability for upgrades etc on US Airways?

Last edited by aztimm; Jan 1, 2011 at 9:11 am Reason: changed thread title
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:02 am

Programs: AA, AS, WN, Marriott, Hilton
I wonder if the $200 fee for this would be covered under the new American Express Platinum travel benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.