Anyone fly the CLT-GIG route frequently?

Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold, CO Plat, United Premier, US Airways Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Anyone fly the CLT-GIG route frequently?

Was wondering the chances of getting an upgrade on the CLT-GIG leg, how full is this flight usually and how are the odds at an upgrade?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I wonder too since I'll be flying GIG-CLT several times this year and the US is the only nonstop, but I've never taken it.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: None
Like all the TA flights, CLT-GIG-CLT is considered Envoy and not FC, so that would affect "free" upgrades. I have no idea how the Envoy loads are running.

Jim
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold, CO Plat, United Premier, US Airways Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Jim,

Ok, thanks.... Hmmm how much is the day of upgrade cost?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by jpmmracing
Jim,

Ok, thanks.... Hmmm how much is the day of upgrade cost?
The loads on this flight have been very weak. Looking out for the Month of March, most days are under 30%LF. Not sure how long US will wait until they pull the plug- go now
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
I was on a full flight going down at the end of January (only a few seats empty in each cabin - a lot of summer vacationers with families going to Disney, etc.) - Encore seats were pretty full - I am Platinum and it was - I think - $350 to move up. Only 1/2 full plane coming home and it was still $350 - but I was able to stretch out in my row and slept all night. As summer vacation winds down in Rio I would think the flights would have more empty seats and the option to stretch out is as good as Encore for me (I actually had an entire center section for myself - Heaven!)
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by steves
Encore seats were pretty full - I am Platinum and it was - I think - $350 to move up. Only 1/2 full plane coming home and it was still $350
Thanks - I haven't seen anyone post the cost before so I would have just responded with the standard TA upgrade to Envoy cost.

Jim
Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

I will be going on April 1st! Hope I cant get an Upgrade as I am 6'7
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:41 pm

It's early yet, but as of now all Envoy seats are open and 100 seats open in the back.

Jim
Old Mar 12, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Thanks - I haven't seen anyone post the cost before so I would have just responded with the standard TA upgrade to Envoy cost.

Jim
Let me get this straight. You can pay $300 + 30,000 miles to upgrade in advance. Or wait until a day before departure, and pay $350 (only $50 more and saves you 30,000 miles). Wow.. seems like a no-brainer to just wait it out.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:36 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by steves
I was on a full flight going down at the end of January (only a few seats empty in each cabin - a lot of summer vacationers with families going to Disney, etc.) - Encore seats were pretty full - I am Platinum and it was - I think - $350 to move up. Only 1/2 full plane coming home and it was still $350 - but I was able to stretch out in my row and slept all night. As summer vacation winds down in Rio I would think the flights would have more empty seats and the option to stretch out is as good as Encore for me (I actually had an entire center section for myself - Heaven!)
What is Encore?!?!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I think I'll try now tom take it before it is gone. Actually they've done precisely zero publicity regarding the flight. Several colleagues and I discovered the flight when we were going GIG-MIA-CLT and saw a US plane on the ground. We asked where it was going because we'd not seen US at GIG and discovered it was to CLT. No wonder the loads are low. They're selling RT Envoy nonref for $2442 right now, less than half the AA, DL or JJ prices so you'd think they'd be filling up.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA (US) gold, HH gold, Bonvoy gold
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Let me get this straight. You can pay $300 + 30,000 miles to upgrade in advance. Or wait until a day before departure, and pay $350 (only $50 more and saves you 30,000 miles). Wow.. seems like a no-brainer to just wait it out.
Yes - I was thinking the same thing. But I think upgrades at the gate are usually less expensive than paying ahead of time. It seems funny but I often waffle about getting upgrades and spending the miles - wondering how i will feel on my trip and how much the bigger seat/food will matter. Usually when I am at the gate even with the discounted opportunity to upgrade I feel I can just stick it out in back - that $350 went a long way towards many good meals in Rio.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Wow.. seems like a no-brainer to just wait it out.
The risk you take by waiting is that Envoy will be full and you can't get the upgrade at the gate. If it were me and I really wanted to be in Envoy I'd keep an eye on seats available over the last week or so. If availability gets down to 1 or 2 seats it might be worth using the miles + cash to snag a seat rather rather than waiting till you get to the airport and Envoy possibly being full.

Jim
Old Mar 12, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA, AS, SQ, Hilton Diamond, PC Platinum, National Exec
Originally Posted by flight62
What is Encore?!?!
It's the new Economy Plus option on US of coarse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.