Search

ancestry.com up to 5,000 bonus miles thru email WITH membership

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Delta, United, AA
ancestry.com up to 5,000 bonus miles thru email WITH membership

A nice amount of miles if someone wants to know who there ancestors were and in need of 5,000 miles.....if i were dying to know how my ancestors got to the US and i needed miles i would join but i am not in that desperate need of miles right now and i can wait a few hundred years more to find out until US increases the incentive

It comes with a 14 day free trial but it looks like the bonus miles are awarded after the free trial..so nice dice..not the best offer but US offers rarely are

http://landing.ancestry.com/popularm...lid=us_airways
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
So basically $300 for 5,000 miles.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by uva185
It's possible you could get the 5,000 miles for $24.95. The link on the email I received indicates...

"Choose a membership below and enjoy up to 5,000 bonus Dividend Miles when you sign up for a subscription after your free trial...You can also subscribe or cancel any time by visiting the My Account section."

When you subscribe you are billed for one year at $24.95 per month ($300) It is not clear if you will be refunded unused months if you cancel after one month.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Originally Posted by zink88
It is not clear if you will be refunded unused months if you cancel after one month.
Ah, good point!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA Plat, TK Gold, *G
I am guessing that you can cancel after a month or two (or whenever the miles post).

I have done the Netflix promos with other airlines before and cancelled as soon as the miles posted.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
I was leery of the "billed in one payment" part. Netfix bills monthly so you can get away with it.

Seeking ancestors all over the World?
WORLD DELUXE MEMBERSHIP
Annual $24.95/month after trial*
Three Month $27.95/month after trial*
Monthly $29.95/month after trial

*Billed in one payment
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec; AA Platinum; SPG Gold; PC Platinum Ambassador
Originally Posted by bsb21
I am guessing that you can cancel after a month or two (or whenever the miles post).
Unfortunately, the Ancestry.com subscription is an annual one, to get the 5,000 miles. And their T&C's clearly state after the trial period, there is no refunds-

"All other subscriptions, including monthly subscriptions, quarterly subscriptions, initial annual subscriptions after the 7 days or annual renewals may be canceled by you at any time but no refund will be made for unused subscription periods."

So it would be $300 for 5,000 miles- a bad deal, unless you were planning on buying an annual membership anyways.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:19 am

Ancestry.com happens to be my employer. I don't work in our Marketing department so I was unaware of this promotion until I learned about it here. So I have no special insights. But it seems clear to me from the terms and conditions listed on the offer's landing page that only by agreeing to a contract do you get miles. Ancestry.com also has monthly billing options with no contract commitments but it seems apparent that you don't get any miles if you go that route.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by uva185
Not entirely. It's $300 for the Ancestry.com services + 5,000 miles. This is really only a good deal if one was on the fence about using their product.

Obviously this type of service would take a hit during a recession. A FF promo to increase business is probably just one part of their marketing efforts. Had I been considering this service I might be pushed to the other side of the fence for 5K miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.