Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, because it feels like a very rookie question given how long I've hung around these boards. But here goes, and I thank you in advance for your knowledge...

My wife and I have a trip later this month:

CLT-ORD (UA)
ORD-WAW (LO)
WAW-BUD (LO)
PRG-FRA (LH)
FRA-IAD (LH)
IAD-CLT (US)

I've actually never flown on a mixed partner international itinerary like this before, and I just want to understand how things are actually going to play out at the airport, at check-in, etc.

To begin, when I check in for CLT-ORD through United, am I going to be able to get BP's all the way to BUD? Or once I get to ORD, am I going to have to check in again with LO? It's confusing because my UA PNR shows all outbound trip segments (CLT-ORD-WAW-BUD), whereas my LO PNR only shows the segments that are actually flown on LO (ORD-WAW-BUD). So I'm not clear how this works.

Basically, once we check in initially, are we set? Or do we have to do it all over again for each carrier? I always tend to at least try and check in online the night before (I know that doesn't always work when flying internationally), but didn't know if I need to separately check in on UA, and then go to the LOT website and check in there as well. Or, once we land in ORD, if we have to physically walk to the LO check in counter, and check in there.

Besides this, are there any other considerations we should be aware of as first time mixed-alliance partner flyers?

Thank you!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 2:36 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by DCdeacon
I'm almost embarrassed to ask this, because it feels like a very rookie question given how long I've hung around these boards. But here goes, and I thank you in advance for your knowledge...

CLT-ORD (UA)
ORD-WAW (LO)
WAW-BUD (LO)
PRG-FRA (LH)
FRA-IAD (LH)
IAD-CLT (US)

I've actually never flown on a mixed partner international itinerary like this before, and I just want to understand how things are actually going to play out at the airport, at check-in, etc.

To begin, when I check in for CLT-ORD through United, am I going to be able to get BP's all the way to BUD? Or once I get to ORD, am I going to have to check in again with LO? It's confusing because my UA PNR shows all outbound trip segments (CLT-ORD-WAW-BUD), whereas my LO PNR only shows the segments that are actually flown on LO (ORD-WAW-BUD). So I'm not clear how this works.

Basically, once we check in initially, are we set? Or do we have to do it all over again for each carrier? I always tend to at least try and check in online the night before (I know that doesn't always work when flying internationally), but didn't know if I need to separately check in on UA, and then go to the LOT website and check in there as well. Or, once we land in ORD, if we have to physically walk to the LO check in counter, and check in there.

Besides this, are there any other considerations we should be aware of as first time mixed-alliance partner flyers?

Thank you!

You will probably be checked through to your final destination. It's a good idea to call US and get the confirmation numbers for all the partner airlines. You should be able to do more with your reservation on the partner sites (choose seats, request a special meal), and you'll probably be able to check in online on the partner sites. It's also just best practice to have that information handy on your flights.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by DCdeacon

CLT-ORD (UA)
ORD-WAW (LO)
WAW-BUD (LO)
PRG-FRA (LH)
FRA-IAD (LH)
IAD-CLT (US)

Thank you!

your bags should be checked through no problem. you may or may not receive all the boarding passes you need, or you may have to exchange a UA issued boarding pass for an LO issued boarding pass at some stage. it varies between airlines and I'm not sure of the procedure for UA->LO (just by way or example I have had to have a TG issued boarding pass for Lufthansa resisted in Frankfurt before).

with IRROPS united generally excel! if you are yet to take your UA flight, they will sort out any missed connections. if they have flown you then it is up to LO to rearrange travel if there are subsequent problems (if LO is closed or their rep has left the airport then go back to UA). LO is covered by EU261 both inbound and outbound to/from the EU, so you are well covered.

the UA PNR is correct... it should show the entire itinerary as far as they need to check bags on the day... which is all the way through to BUD. i would have expected the LO PNR to show your connecting flight in from CLT (so they know where you're coming from). but I don't think that's a major issue.

the only thing you need to ensure is that bags are checked through to your final destination. collect as many boarding passes as you can, then enjoy
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA,AA, WN
Advice on Europe/Asia award booking

I have tried to book a trip to SIN from the west coast, through Europe with a stop over. I can't seem to be successful. Is there a trick or do I need to speak with a rep?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:44 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Max segments or miles NAmerica - NAsia?

Is there a maximum # segment or miles for North America - North Asia awards? Looking at throwing in some extra legs to try out J on Asiana and EVA while routing Canada-Europe-Japan-Canada.

So far have YVR-IST(STOPOVER)-NRT(DEST)-SEA-YVR available with AC to IST and TK to NRT and ANA 787 to SEA. While TK is my favourite airline I would like to give Asiana and EVA a try in J, would IST-BKK on TK followed by BKK - TPE on EVA then continue on to ICN on OZ and then to NRT be okay assuming no problem getting the IST stopover with the agent AT 90K.

i.e. YVR-YYZ-IST(STOPOVER)-BKK-TPE-ICN-NRT(DEST)-SEA-YVR?

Thanks,
Old Nov 7, 2013, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tobegold
Is there a maximum # segment or miles for North America - North Asia awards? Looking at throwing in some extra legs to try out J on Asiana and EVA while routing Canada-Europe-Japan-Canada.

So far have YVR-IST(STOPOVER)-NRT(DEST)-SEA-YVR available with AC to IST and TK to NRT and ANA 787 to SEA. While TK is my favourite airline I would like to give Asiana and EVA a try in J, would IST-BKK on TK followed by BKK - TPE on EVA then continue on to ICN on OZ and then to NRT be okay assuming no problem getting the IST stopover with the agent AT 90K.

i.e. YVR-YYZ-IST(STOPOVER)-BKK-TPE-ICN-NRT(DEST)-SEA-YVR?

Thanks,
your destination is IST not NET. the passenger can't decide this. it's done by distance

max segments... generally 8... four out and four in. but as always YMMV.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

was just chatting with a friend of mine... he may have found something interesting regarding air New Zealand business availability (on their 77W)

he couldn't find any availability on a whole range of dates transpacific... nothing new there... it's always been hard to find. ANA was showing nothing. but then he checked lifemiles... it also showed nothing available in business, but it showed several flights available once you selected the cabin to FIRST.

so I wonder if this is a coding error where 'business premier' is being mapped in some systems as 'O' rather than 'I' class? (and maybe not being shown on ANA because it knows NZ doesn't offer F?)

anyways... just putting it out there for what it's worth. if biz premier is available then it should be available to all star members!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SQ, VA, QF, AF, BA
Originally Posted by KVS
Yes, it is:

[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.1 - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: BCN-ZRH-GVA-PEK-SIN-BNE]
Code:

CTY   DC   TPM   CUM   MPM  DC SUR  HGL   LWL   25M  XTRA       
BCN 2                                                           
ZRH 2 EH   532   532   638  EH  0M   106     0   797     0      
GVA 2 EH   144   676   474  EH EXC     0    84   592     0      
BJS 3 EH  5097  5773  7096  EH  0M  1323     0  8870     0      
SIN 3 EH  2791  8564  8209  EH  5M    55   355 10261     0      
BNE 3 EH  3818 12382 12789  EH  0M   407     0 15986     0
Thanks KVS, good to know!

It's torture waiting for the return dates to be bookable when the outbound has been there for almost 4 weeks now and I am worried about losing it! This will use up what's left of my Grand Slam miles. I really wish US would allow one ways!

Are others having problems getting LH in J class? The segments would be BCN-FRA-PEK on a Thursday.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:34 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
I have tried to book a trip to SIN from the west coast, through Europe with a stop over. I can't seem to be successful. Is there a trick or do I need to speak with a rep?
What do you mean 'tried'? The only way you can book a partner award is over the phone. Have you read the first post of this thread?
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Hi -- tried to book a flight on the new YYZ-MUC LH First for next summer. These flights show as available on Aeroplan plus have been written about on a number of blogs today. I have tried 2 US Air agents. Neither can see the flights nor were they willing to try a "manual request". The second one suggested that since they were leaving Star Alliance, US Air has limited the partner seats except for coach. Anyone had any success? Other suggestions?
Thanks
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by ciana
Hi -- tried to book a flight on the new YYZ-MUC LH First for next summer. These flights show as available on Aeroplan plus have been written about on a number of blogs today. I have tried 2 US Air agents. Neither can see the flights nor were they willing to try a "manual request". The second one suggested that since they were leaving Star Alliance, US Air has limited the partner seats except for coach. Anyone had any success? Other suggestions?
Thanks
LH F has been documented in dozens of cases in this thread, over a long period of time, of not being available through US.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Hi -- tried to book a flight on the new YYZ-MUC LH First for next summer. ...
From footnote 1 of website's partner award chart,
1) Beginning January 1, 2013, award redemption in Lufthansa first class cabin is unavailable
Old Nov 8, 2013, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Booked a DFW-IAH-PEK-KMG (dest) - HGH-TPE (stopover)-LAX-DFW on UA/CA/CA/CA/BR/BR/UA in business for July 4th weekend. Was relatively easy, although it took a lot of persistence to make US agents see BR availability!
Old Nov 8, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Thanks
Book through lucky9876coins's booking agency, since he was the one who clued people in on that availability, and he's the only one I know who's been able to get LH F through US miles...

(Literally nobody has said they have been able to book LH F with US miles other than him- you will find precisely zero reports in this thread on LH F being booked after 1/13. So either he's lying or he knows the magic words to use... he is qualified as a travel agent...)
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Book through lucky9876coins's booking agency, since he was the one who clued people in on that availability, and he's the only one I know who's been able to get LH F through US miles...

(Literally nobody has said they have been able to book LH F with US miles other than him- you will find precisely zero reports in this thread on LH F being booked after 1/13. So either he's lying or he knows the magic words to use... he is qualified as a travel agent...)
no more getting lh f with usdm. period. not possible. not even the bloggers can do it anymore (as i've heard through the grapevine)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.