Wiki Posts
Search

US Mileage Requirements Change

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles, Rapid Rewards
US Mileage Requirements Change

I didn't get anything from US last Wednesday like I had heard about a change in their mileage requirements, so I asked around and apparently the announcement was postponed till Monday. We shall see...
Old Nov 6, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by AZJIM
...We shall see...
Indeed, and Welcome to FlyerTalk, AZJIM ^

Did you mean Mileage requirement changes for FF status, upgrades or award travel?

Thanks.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Thanks for the heads up AZJIM. I will go ahead and book two award tickets I have been meaning to book for the past several weeks before the rates jump.

Considering the rates US charges for Star Alliance awards is less than US (and perhaps other *A airlines) I would not be surprised if they increased their rates.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aw, jeez. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm a CO platinum and now want to "cash out" of my Dividend Miles account -- taking advantage of an award that's currently lower than CO's!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-strategy.html

I'm presuming US will give us some time to book off the existing chart -- presumably enough time for me to "top off" my account (with the current transfer promo) for the award I want? They won't just change the chart overnight with no warning, right?
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by iahphx
Aw, jeez. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm a CO platinum and now want to "cash out" of my Dividend Miles account -- taking advantage of an award that's currently lower than CO's!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...-strategy.html

I'm presuming US will give us some time to book off the existing chart -- presumably enough time for me to "top off" my account (with the current transfer promo) for the award I want? They won't just change the chart overnight with no warning, right?
Usually, several months are given before the change(s) become effective so you should have plenty of time to cash in your US DM.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 6:09 pm

Programs: Onepass Silver, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Worldperks, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by uva185

Considering the rates US charges for Star Alliance awards is less than US (and perhaps other *A airlines) I would not be surprised if they increased their rates.
While US has lower redemption rates than UA or CO, there change fees and award booking fees offset a portion of this savings.

Comparing CO to US

Award fee for Europe/Asia

US $50
CO $0

Award Changes/redeposits
US $250
CO $75 (beginning in December)

The fees that US charges are HUGE and I always assumed that these fees allowed them to be the "low cost carrier" on award tickets. I usually try to book reward tickets several months out and wind up having to change my flights at least once as better ones become available. I would be surprised to see US change their award chart to mimic CO/UA unless they are ready to mimic their fees.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I would hope these award changes are given to us with more notice.
Old Nov 7, 2009, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leejeffrey
The fees that US charges are HUGE and I always assumed that these fees allowed them to be the "low cost carrier" on award tickets.
I hope you're right. I assumed they have just been slow to raise their mileage levels and, now that they know others charge more, are planning on matching these levels.

And keeping the booking fees!
Old Nov 7, 2009, 9:18 pm
HCA

Thanks for head up.
No suprise here as the miles are cheap with the promotion and requirement is low.

I hope to read more details on Monday thus I can decide if I still want to play the miles "transfer" game.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:24 am

Programs: Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, Lifetime UA Silver
It's Monday and there's no news. Chalk this one up to be an unfounded rumor?
Old Nov 9, 2009, 9:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Since this has now been announced, let's take up the discussion in this new thread.

Additions to this thread since the announcement have been moved to the thread linked above.

AZ

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.