Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: andyr
Before asking the question: There is no way for you to "see" the certs in your account. But when you call, an agent will be able to verify they are there.

Note that if your US metal flights are purchased on AA stock, there is no option to waitlist - you must keep trying to upgrade by calling.

Per post #872, looks like as of 3/20 they are starting to disappear as accounts get migrated. Some report upgrades still working on 3/21. Obviously YMMV, but booking now rather than later may be advisable.
Print Wikipost

All About CP Upgrade certs (merged) [MASTER THREAD]

Old Nov 2, 2009, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP;SPG Gold; Priority Club Spire Ambassador; Hilton Diamond
All About CP Upgrade certs (merged) [MASTER THREAD]

"Chairman's Preferred members receive 2 annual electronic one way First Class/Envoy upgrades to be used to or from Hawaii, Europe, South America and the Middle East. Companions must be booked on the same itinerary and will be processed at the same time as the Preferred member. "

Does anyone know how long these are valid for?

Last edited by aztimm; Dec 1, 2010 at 11:12 am
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
The CP certs are valid for the status year, and expire if not used.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 2:59 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kudzu
The CP certs are valid for the status year, and expire if not used.
I'm sure this is answered somewhere, but I couldn't find it so far.

I'll be CP this year for the first time (usually Silver/Gold but had a ridiculous amount of TATL (for me) flights this year), starting probably late November or early December.

Do I get 2 upgrade certs this year (for this status year since I qualified this year) and then another 2 next year? I may actually not even have any more flights after I get CP so it may be academic, but wanted to know so I could try and plan ahead.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 6:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by treznor
Do I get 2 upgrade certs this year (for this status year since I qualified this year) and then another 2 next year?
Yes, two as soon as you qualify, for use in this program year; then two when the new program year starts in '10.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: MMR-Platinum, US Airways Chairman`s Preffered
Transatlantic Upgrade Voucher

Today i tryed to use my CP Transatlantic Voucher, i called the - Personal Liaison - and the guy said to me ther no upgrade possible from phl to fra @ 23.december. But if i look @ the envoy class on US website it shows me about 17 availible seats. So i´m to stupid for that?

Would be great to get help or suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
Old Nov 24, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Hi Kampfei - The certificates require availability in the J booking class. As far as I know, you cannot view this "bucket" online from any site, be it US, ExpertFlyer, the ANA tool, etc., so even if it looks like there are plenty of seats available, there may be none meeting the requirements of the CP upgrade certs.

You would have to call back and speak to someone in reservations (or the CP desk) and ask them to check for J class availability for days you can fly. In my experience, I was able to get the exact departure day I wanted (though not the gateway city), and I had to be flexible by two days to get the return confirmed.

FWIW, Envoy was full on both segments despite having many open seats on the seatmap when I booked my flight (1 week before departure).

Even though it can be frustrating, the ability to book the lowest published fare and upgrade is huge. I hope you're able to take advantage of it.

Good luck!

Sean
Old Nov 29, 2009, 5:24 am

Programs: US CP and 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; MARRIOTT PLAT
Has anyone tried using the CP Certificate for Upgrade to Europe?

I would like to hear about the experience of finding an upgrade to Europe using the Chairman's Preferred Certificate for Upgrade to Europe. How was the reservation done? (phone, web?) and also how much availability was there? My former experience (in 2008) was that it was very hard to find many flights which were upgradeable and that the agents at the CP desk had very limited tools to find which flights would be availble.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 8:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Availability is going to vary wildly depending on season, destination, and day of the week you want to fly. Upgrades to Rome in the summer months are nearly impossible, while upgrades to Frankfurt on a Tuesday in the off-season would be much easier. If this is for a leisure trip, I'd pick a destination (with an alternate) and then call the CP desk and ask about availability on the flights you want but have yet to book.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 2:05 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by matthans
I would like to hear about the experience of finding an upgrade to Europe using the Chairman's Preferred Certificate for Upgrade to Europe. How was the reservation done? (phone, web?) and also how much availability was there? My former experience (in 2008) was that it was very hard to find many flights which were upgradeable and that the agents at the CP desk had very limited tools to find which flights would be availble.
Hi matthans, and welcome to FT! I have merged your question with that of another member asking nearly the same thing. I hope that you will find some of your answers there.

The reservation must be done by telephone. I believe it is much easier for them to search for availability, although I cannot speak to the availability of upgrade seats for any specific route.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
I used my CP upgrades recently CLT-PHL-MAN return. I picked my flights out then called the personal liason to confirm availability, they said it was open so I immediately booked online then called back to apply the upgrade. It was all pretty painless but maybe I just fell lucky with the seating availability.

Chris.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by ukchris
...I picked my flights out then called the personal liason to confirm availability, they said it was open so I immediately booked online then called back to apply the upgrade...
Just curious...any advantage booking online v. letting the CP Desk agent book it while s/he's on the line? No charge for telephone booking, and besides, I'd be concerned somebody else might snatch J upgrade availability away from me in the interval between booking online and calling back to upgrade
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:07 am

Programs: US Airways
It has been a few years since CP, but do not remember when the transatlantic upgrade certificates arrive. My membership kit came in December. Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by rehobothjeff
It has been a few years since CP, but do not remember when the transatlantic upgrade certificates arrive. My membership kit came in December. Thanks for your help.
They are now electronic and not paper. They should show in your online account I believe.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 6:52 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by kudzu
Just curious...any advantage booking online v. letting the CP Desk agent book it while s/he's on the line? No charge for telephone booking, and besides, I'd be concerned somebody else might snatch J upgrade availability away from me in the interval between booking online and calling back to upgrade
In my case I was booking through a corporate tool (CWT) which ties in to our payment system so I didn't really have a choice.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 5:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Yes, two as soon as you qualify, for use in this program year; then two when the new program year starts in '10.
I just came across this old thread. Does anyone know if this is still accurate? I'm thiking of buying up to CP (from PP) now to get the upgrade certs for a TATL flight in Jan. If I read the above thread correctly, I'll get another set of upgrade certs when the program year restarts around Mar/Apr. Is there any flaw in my logic?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.